• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dear Brother's Last English DVD Set Reaches Crowdfunding Goal

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:23 am Reply with quote
Thank goodness! I was really biting my nails on this one. It was down to the wire and I didn't see any publicity/articles about it like I did with Creamy Mami.

Thank you for everyone who pledged along with me and thank you to the people at Anime Sols for making these releases happen. Anime smile
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:29 am Reply with quote
Neat.

Now Anime Sols doesn't have a single drive running and isn't putting up any new episodes except one episode of Black Jack a month. Is it time for some new stuff?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I think it's about time for something new, and I mean something modern just for a change of pace. They did have a bunch of relatively recent and unlicensed anime on their surveys, so maybe give a shot to those? It'd be a waste trying out anymore of the Pierrot magical girls when the flagship title of the four only barely clinched it a few times.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote
here: It actually made its goal pretty fast, eventually. Down to the wire was the second Mami set. That had like only an hour left.

Fronzel: I'm pestering them for new shit, personally, too. Black Jack has a fanbase, but it ain't enough attract more people like Mami and Dear Brother.

walw: If you mean old Pierrot mahou shoujo shows, yes. If they got Mew Mew and Sugar Sugar Rune, though, they'd have a chance to compete with the people on Kickstarter.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they're giving it a rest for a while so people's wallets have a chance to recover.
F-Man

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:39 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Maybe they're giving it a rest for a while so people's wallets have a chance to recover.

As a Tezuka anime fan, my wallet has had 5 months to recover since Black Jack Set 2. I didn't even get to spend anything I wanted to on Blue Blink or the TV Specials. I am more than ready! I'm starving!
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Hold the phone, people. I don't think something modern is the way to go for Sols. Think about it, a newer the show, the more expensive the license.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Dmon: Black Jack tv is newer, so...Anyway, they need the Kickstarter audience. They cannot sustain themselves on that show alone.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:06 pm Reply with quote
This would be a perfect time for them to put up those Black Jack OVAs they were talking about a few months ago.
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I would love it they (or someone else) could rescue Yawara! A Fashionable Judo Girl. I'm guessing they wouldn't want to touch it though because it didn't do well for Animeigo and is a looong series.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
here: Yawara's from Madhouse, not Pierrot, Tatsunoko, or NTV.
GVman

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:52 pm Reply with quote
I just hope they get something. I don't want this to be the end for Anime Sols. I doubt they're gonna do something like retry Tekkaman or Yatterman (though I wish they would).

Have they thought about partnering up with Bandai/Sunrise? I think something like Layzner might pull in the VOTOMS fans, though I don't think VOTOMS itself would be a good idea unless it was some sort of BD remaster; the show was released on DVD twice in the States not too long ago.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:05 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
This would be a perfect time for them to put up those Black Jack OVAs they were talking about a few months ago.

If I'm remembering correctly they said they'd do that after completing the TV series, and I even suspect the unexplained suspension of posting new episodes and the new once-a-month schedule are deliberate attempts to delay fulfilling that promise for whatever reason.

Whatever the case, it's going to take another year to finish Black Jack TV at this pace.
F-Man

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
SpacemanHardy wrote:

If I'm remembering correctly they said they'd do that after completing the TV series, and I even suspect the unexplained suspension of posting new episodes and the new once-a-month schedule are deliberate attempts to delay fulfilling that promise for whatever reason.

Whatever the case, it's going to take another year to finish Black Jack TV at this pace.

Nah, it was said it would be for Round 3 (which, at least in Black Jack terms, still hasn't started), and the latest news was "Stay tuned!" It was never said to be after the whole TV series.

I follow this stuff pretty closely. For now I'm just crossing my fingers really hard that the whole project isn't going to come to a halt, possibly from Tatsunoko signing off thanks to nobody supporting their shows.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote
GVMan:
Quote:
I doubt they're gonna do something like retry Tekkaman or Yatterman (though I wish they would).

They said they might consider crowdfunding the streaming of the shows, if nothing else.

Quote:
Have they thought about partnering up with Bandai/Sunrise?

It's up to Bandai/Sunrise to jump in, not Sols. And that company might just settle for uploading its less marketable shows to Daisuki and Youtube.

Fronzel:
Quote:
If I'm remembering correctly they said they'd do that after completing the TV series,

Well, the tv series ain't complete, and they said they'd try to do that.

F-Man:
Quote:
possibly from Tatsunoko signing off thanks to nobody supporting their shows.

Well, I gave Sols suggestions on Tatsunoko shows which should be more successful, so I hope they listen.

Edit: BTW, don't forget that Dear Brother is still in overtime, which means you can still buy the show if you haven't already.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2