• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Pokémon the Movie: Genesect and the Legend Awakened Dub.DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
malvarez1

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:40 pm Reply with quote
The film was OK. The animation was really good, and the fights were cool.

But the whole Mewtwo thing bugged me. The Mewtwo from the original film was a guy. This one is a girl. Fine, except that the first Mewtwo was artificial. There should be only one.

It would have been so cool if that was the original Mewtwo. The writers dropped the ball there.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only wondering why this was reviwed now? The DVD came out almost five months ago...

malvarez1 wrote:

But the whole Mewtwo thing bugged me. The Mewtwo from the original film was a guy. This one is a girl. Fine, except that the first Mewtwo was artificial. There should be only one.

It would have been so cool if that was the original Mewtwo. The writers dropped the ball there.

From what I heard the writers didn't wany use the first Mewtwo as the chacarter was created by Takeshi Shudo who passed away long before the movie came out...

At least that's what I heard...
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote
This movie has 1 biggest plot hole and that's the Mewtwo situation.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed watching Genesect and the Legend Awakened- it was a fun movie. Perhaps the female voice of "Neo" Mewtwo may have offset some viewers, but I thought it was a nice twist. Plus, the balance of playful moments and intense battling kept me alerted throughout the entire movie.
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
I wish Viz Media added more to DVDs, especially some special features. The earlier DVDs had a lot of trivia features, and I can't see why they couldn't bring that back.

And they also need to start putting the shorts onto the DVDs (Meloetta's Moonlight Serenade and Eevee and Friends). If TPCi is going through all the trouble to dub these shorts now, why only make them available online for a limited time (Seriously, that only screams illegal downloading to anyone who missed out on watching them legally)? They could easily slap these onto the DVDs, especially since the movies are shorter in order to accompany these shorts!
patrickdrazen

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Director Yuyama and writer Sonoda have been in charge of this franchise for a long time, and this one is really an interesting addition to the string. The cel animation and CG are pretty much seamless now, and the story is more sophisticated. (I would disagree with one thing: pokemon DO die, and have done so in several movies.) There is such a death in my personal favorite of the Pokemon movies, "Pokemon Heroes".
Melicans

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Nice review, I may check the film out after all. Just one minor quibble with the review, Pokémon are never pluralized. One Pikachu, two Pikachu, not Pikachus.
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:24 am Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:
Am I the only wondering why this was reviwed now? The DVD came out almost five months ago...

malvarez1 wrote:

From what I heard the writers didn't wany use the first Mewtwo as the chacarter was created by Takeshi Shudo who passed away long before the movie came out...

well that could explain a lot cause a lot of people was seriously griping that this mewtwo wasnt from the first movie.

Rebecca Silverman wrote:
− Team Rocket is totally extraneous, and Ash and his friends aren't far behind. Not the best songs this time around, may be a little dark for very young viewers.

That there is an understatement. having the rocket gang every time is far too much though satoshi and his friends arent that extraneous & all the music from the dub movies sucks. it would have been a lot better if they had kept the original japaneese music.

Also having the movies a little dark is not necessarily a negative thing. it means that PUSA might be listening to the fans , especially those that are in the otaku community and keeping some of the original japanese scripts when it is released in the US. Hopefully they would actually use the script in its entirety when X/Y comes around considering that Xernas & Yevital represents life and death.

Last edited by jr240483 on Sat May 03, 2014 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:37 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:

That has to play in with the black/white arcs and the fact team plasma made their own mewtwo. I know that mewtwo is suppose to be artificial but if you repeat the same experiments again your more than likely to get the same results.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Adamanto

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:41 am Reply with quote
Emma Iveli wrote:

It's complete nonsense.
No one involved with the movie have ever given any kind of explanation why there's a different Mewtwo here, but it seems logical it was done so they didn't have to explain that weird "evolution" thing Mewtwo does beyond "it's just something this Mewtwo can do". We now know that it was a Mega Evolution, but Mega Evolutions as a concept wasn't publically revealed until months after the movie premiered, so obviously the movie wasn't allowed to go into any real detail about it. Having a new Mewtwo that has this weird ability the previous Mewtwo didn't have was a logical way to showcase the concept without explaining it in detail.

jr0904 wrote:

Also having the movies a little dark is not necessarily a negative thing. it means that PUSA might be listening to the fans , especially those that are in the otaku community and keeping some of the original japanese scripts when it is released in the US. Hopefully they would actually use the script in its entirety when X/Y comes around considering that Xernas & Yevital represents life and death.

PUSA (or TPCI as they're called now) have absolutely nothing to do with the writing of this movie, or any other movie.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote
As awfully dull as the series is now, the movies aren't that bad. They have some terrific animation, and the writing isn't too bad. The series will never be as good as it was with Misty though!

Having a female voice for Mewtwo was weird though. They didn't have to use Dan Green again since this is technically a different Mewtwo, but it was still a bit awkward.

The scripts and dubbing are all currently done by DuArt Film & Video, but TPCi does eye the whole production like a hawk.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote
FINALLY!! A positive review of this movie! I've been seeing a lot of hate against this lately, and it made me sad because I think this is one of the better Pokemon movies, next to Pokemon Heroes, Pokemon 3, and the Keldeo movie. I love how it doesn't shy away from the darker things about the animal world, like humans experimenting on animals to the point of changing their lives forever and the alienation they feel in the current world. Yeah, I do agree the whole Mewtwo thing makes no sense, but I have a fan theory: what if this female Mewtwo is ANOTHER Mewtwo that another group of scientists tried to make from Mew? Maybe they wanted to make more Mewtwo and see what they were capable of. Of course, this is only a fan theory, so don't take it seriously. But THANK GOD, somebody likes this movie and is giving it the appreciation it deserves!
jr240483

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 1:39 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
FINALLY!! A positive review of this movie! I've been seeing a lot of hate against this lately, and it made me sad because I think this is one of the better Pokemon movies, next to Pokemon Heroes, Pokemon 3, and the Keldeo movie. I love how it doesn't shy away from the darker things about the animal world, like humans experimenting on animals to the point of changing their lives forever and the alienation they feel in the current world. Yeah, I do agree the whole Mewtwo thing makes no sense, but I have a fan theory: what if this female Mewtwo is ANOTHER Mewtwo that another group of scientists tried to make from Mew? Maybe they wanted to make more Mewtwo and see what they were capable of. Of course, this is only a fan theory, so don't take it seriously. But THANK GOD, somebody likes this movie and is giving it the appreciation it deserves!

Not exactely. the 8th movie got a positive review as well considering it was the last movie that was dubbed by 4kids, and its the only anime series they ever did right.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
As awfully dull as the series is now, the movies aren't that bad. They have some terrific animation, and the writing isn't too bad. The series will never be as good as it was with Misty though!

Having a female voice for Mewtwo was weird though. They didn't have to use Dan Green again since this is technically a different Mewtwo, but it was still a bit awkward.

The scripts and dubbing are all currently done by DuArt Film & Video, but TPCi does eye the whole production like a hawk.

no kidding. having a female voice instead of dan green for mewtwo was definitely bizarre.

However die hard fans have been saying for the english dub voice for satoshi too.

sure the current VA that have been around during the diamond and pearl arc is fine but if they had a choice, they would easily choose the original VA ( though i forgot her name now since its been so long ) anyday of the week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 3:43 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

sure the current VA that have been around during the diamond and pearl arc is fine but if they had a choice, they would easily choose the original VA ( though i forgot her name now since its been so long ) anyday of the week.

Veronica Taylor
Adamanto

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 9:26 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Yeah, I do agree the whole Mewtwo thing makes no sense, but I have a fan theory: what if this female Mewtwo is ANOTHER Mewtwo that another group of scientists tried to make from Mew? Maybe they wanted to make more Mewtwo and see what they were capable of. Of course, this is only a fan theory, so don't take it seriously.

It's not a fan theory. Everything you say is outright stated to be the case in the movie's supplementary material.

I have no idea why the fact that this is a different Mewtwo is seemingly so unclear to non-Japanese fans. This Mewtwo looks different, has a different personality, a different voice, different abilities, flashes back to events that did not take place with the previous Mewtwo... we even see the lab it was created in and the scientists that created it, and it's a different lab and different scientists. Why was there ever any confusion about this in the first place?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1