• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - This Old Dub

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:06 pm Reply with quote
It's great to see series like Cardcaptor Sakura and Sailor Moon resurface again (especially Sailor Moon since its new season will air soon!) Anyways, I remember watching the dubs a very long time ago for both shows. Maybe someday, we'll see it again..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I'm shocked people have ANY fondness for Card Captor Sakura's dub.

It was god-awful. The characters were supposed to be cute, for crying out loud.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Well, the main problem I had with Cardcaptor Sakura's dub wasn't the voices but rather the style, editing (including some main parts that were significant), and stuff. It was one of the first series I watched though so I still remember it. Childhood memories are awesome still though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kayserlein

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Wait, so cardcaptor is actually getting a new dub? Since the on in the boxset is supposed to be monaural, I assumed that it was the old dub.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:25 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Well, the main problem I had with Cardcaptor Sakura's dub wasn't the voices but rather the style, editing (including some main parts that were significant), and stuff.

Honestly I didn't like anything about it once I saw the original. I am hard to please though. lol
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I never seen the dub that aired in the US but i have watched the Animax Asia English dub of Cardcaptor Sakura.

Surprisingly it's very good and the script stays faithful to the original Japanese. Now if only Animax Asia would release that dub.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Another important thing about the dubs for Sailor Moon and Card Captors, is that the old dubs wouldn't necessarily work at all with the uncut video for some episodes. I'm pretty sure 2 episodes from the end of Sailor Moon's first season were turned into a single episode for the DiC dub version and I recall that part of what was done to Card Captors was to try to make Syaoran more like a main character, so I assume that involved some video edits. And in general, while a lot of edits are just covering things up or changing things, I'm sure some involved cutting out part of the episode entirely, which would make the dub unusable for any episode that did that.
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:39 pm Reply with quote
A couple a hundred DVDs, most of which I've put into 100-disc CD wallet cases, but I still display my anime and a few others. The big problem is the 650 and increasingly growing blu-rays I have. I keep running out of shelf space and have to keep coming up with creative ways of dealing with it (the last time, I've moved the shelves themselves out from the wall and I'm putting rows of discs on each side), but that's more of a temporary solution and I have no idea what I'm going to do when that space runs out. I know I'd rather not stick most of them into CD wallets as well, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to start doing so.

Incidentally, Googling "600 disc flight case" didn't really get me anything worthwhile: mostly bulk sellers, a link to this article and some "Flying Magazine" articles from the '60s.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:49 pm Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
Surprisingly it's very good and the script stays faithful to the original Japanese. Now if only Animax Asia would release that dub.

That IS the dub that's on the forthcoming NISA boxed sets.

varmintx wrote:
Incidentally, Googling "600 disc flight case" didn't really get me anything worthwhile: mostly bulk sellers, a link to this article and some "Flying Magazine" articles from the '60s.

Here's a few links to get you started...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/600-DISC-Diamond-Matte-Black-CD-DVD-DJ-Case-w-Aluminum-Trim-Hanging-Sleeves-/231168319170

http://www.supermediastore.com/product/u/cd-dvd-storage-case-black-aluminum-metal-like-600-capacityX2
mdo7

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for this week Answerman, Justin!!! Very interesting read. Very Happy
scottfrye

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote
varmintx wrote:

Yeah, you gotta tweak the search a bit. "600 disc DJ case" gives you better results.

I have found some really nice cases at mmdesign.com. They seem to be a bit more pricey than others I've found but I honestly like their sleeves more. I like that their sleeves let you keep the artwork, unlike the hanging sleeve cases. But their sleeves are not cheap.
varmintx

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Thank you both for the links.
ActionJacksin

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
kayserlein wrote:
Wait, so cardcaptor is actually getting a new dub? Since the on in the boxset is supposed to be monaural, I assumed that it was the old dub.

Nope it's the uncut Animax Asia dub recorded in the late 90s.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Jeez, and I thought I accumulated a whole bunch of DVDs/Blu-rays. My entire collection might fill up one of those, and that's including MANY multi-disc sets.

kayserlein wrote:

It's Animax Asia's English dub from Hong Kong (which is surprisingly good), not Nelvana/Ocean's Cardcaptors Dub.

I do wish they would dub more older anime, but I can understand why they wouldn't. I guess it's clear how much of an exception Sailor Moon is. Anime hyper
bkellison

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Another way to consolidate your collection is to buy some standard size DVD cases that hold multiple DVD's. This works well if you have older releases that use the full size DVD cases (doesn't really help with thinpacks, though). I purchased a few hundred of the 4-DVD cases to put most of my collection in. Nice thing about this is the sleeves fit right in the new DVD cases. I just stored the extra cases in boxes down in my crawl space so I still have the original cases if I need them. Bought mine from Meritline, they are pretty good quality.

http://www.meritline.com/meritline-14mm-dvd-case-4-disc-blk---p-20399.aspx
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7