• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Super Manga Pals: Dawn of Justice

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CeaseActivity

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 4:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised the price of manga wasn't more important to people. Personally that would be number one for me, but then on the other hand I don't live in America so I don't know the prices there.

I like color pages that were color pages from the start, but coloring manga that were originally black and white looks horrible in my opinion.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Ahh.. SuperS. IT SUCKED.
Here's what happened. TOEI were MORONS, and decided that they needed younger people watching, and made the series about Chibiusa for that season, and it was BORING. And the reason it's annoying is because the manga was GREAT at this part. And they cut out the outer senshi? BULLSHIT. Uranus, Neptune and Pluto were all over the manga.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:15 pm Reply with quote
The Sailor Starlights were women that dressed as men in the manga, and men that transformed into women when they transform in the anime. The creator of Sailor Moon hated the change as it went against the rule that only women can be Sailor Guardian. This is why Tuxedo Mask doesn't turn into a woman when he goes into battle.

Super S is the worst season of Sailor Moon so that's where I also quit Sailor Moon. I would of loved to have seen Sailor Moon "Rock the Dragon" type thing since I grew up on the Dic dub and I did like the music.

I tweeted that Nangbaby link and I got 68 RTs and an additional 33 on describing the link when my previous best was 16 RTs

The prime reason they are remaking Sailor Moon is that they could animate the manga's storyline which has recently become more common.

When Rurouni Kenshin came out on Toonami I remember one guy complaining about how the English dub butchered the fact that Yahiko and Sanosuke hated each other because In the "Japanese version Yahiko and Sanosuke cussed at each other all the time" since the fansub he watched was one of those old fansubs where the guy added a bunch of swear words to make shonen jump shows look more mature.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Fri May 23, 2014 10:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
OtakuKitten

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I love when the Super Manga pals are on the podcast. I always listen to those with a pad and a pen in my hand. (My bank account doesn't like them though Laughing )

To answer Deb's question I think that the translation should come first and foremost. That can make or break the book so it is of the utmost importance. Cost is also important but I prefer to have my physical books on nice paper and well bound so I'm willing to pay a bit more as long as the book doesn't feel rough or gross when I flip through the pages. But I can understand why younger readers who don't have the disposable incomes of adults would put cost at the top.
I think coloring the pages is kind of like tampering with the artists work in a way. Yes the artists have to stick to black and white because of time constraints but quite a few artists have taken that restraint and created some real masterpieces. In the end I think it's an costly addition that manga publishers should avoid.

Please more Super Manga Pals!!! KThxBye
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 6:51 pm Reply with quote
When I answered Deb's question over at Twitter I admittedly put "Color pages" at my #2, but I didn't think of it as "coloring the entire manga"; I simply thought of it as maintaining whatever original color pages existed. My #1 was translation, and since that affects the price I figured that keeping color pages could also affect the price so might as well make that #2 & have pricing be #3. Trying to get stuff out as soon as possible after it comes out in Japan is nice, but I'll take quality over speed every time.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:15 pm Reply with quote
The Evil Circus season was my least favorite season of SM. I never hated ChibiUsa, but the entire season creeped me out with the Pegasus romance and the boring, unintimidating villains.

I think Zac got one gay relationship mixed up with the other one. The two generals are both males. I'm pretty sure the interview only addressed Michiru and Haruko's relationship and not Jadeite and Nephrite's.

I wish Akira Toriyama had been similarly obsessed with accuracy in English dubs for his Dragon Ball franchise as Sailor Moon's author was. When Funimation finally put out an accurate dub, for DBZ Kai, many fans complained it wasn't the show they grew up watching, partially because the script was so different. I just assumed Sailor Moon fans were more reasonable than DBZ fans. But they have ther crazies, too.

I've read manga scanlations that ended up being almost identical to the official translations. But, of course, those are outliers.

20th Century Boys is my favorite Urasawa manga. Actually, my favorite manga, period. Just has better, more compelling characters than in Monster and Pluto, and an excellent plot with great themes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Podcast isn't loading for me in iTunes or with iPhone podcast app. Looks like a malformed enclosure tag:

Code:
 enclosure type="audio/mpeg" url="animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/anncast/74826/anncast189.mp3" length="38835801" /

I think that URL needs to have an "http://" on the front of it.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:28 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Podcast isn't loading for me in iTunes or with iPhone podcast app. Looks like a malformed enclosure tag:

Code:
 enclosure type="audio/mpeg" url="animenewsnetwork.com/images/cms/anncast/74826/anncast189.mp3" length="38835801" /

I think that URL needs to have an "http://" on the front of it.

Whoops, fixed. Should repopulate shortly. Thanks for the headsup!
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Whoops, fixed. Should repopulate shortly. Thanks for the headsup!

Thanks for the quick fix. Already downloading on iTunes (you must've caught the CMS/CDN at just the right time).
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:45 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I wish Akira Toriyama had been similarly obsessed with accuracy in English dubs for his Dragon Ball franchise as Sailor Moon's author was. When Funimation finally put out an accurate dub, for DBZ Kai, many fans complained it wasn't the show they grew up watching, partially because the script was so different. I just assumed Sailor Moon fans were more reasonable than DBZ fans. But they have ther crazies, too.

Something Eng. dub complainers need to realize is that the Japanese companies and creators do have a say in the dub casting/scripts. So, if the Japanese are to also blame.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Is Shokugeki no Souma illustrated by an ero-manga artist? Yes... (SFW)
Vapors

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:57 pm Reply with quote
So what you're saying about the old Sailor Moon dub DVDs I have from ADV is that they are going to mint me a fortune since they will never be released again? LOL!

Great podcast, loved the discussion about Godzilla and Sailor Moon. I do wonder what your thoughts are going to be on the upcoming All You Need is Kill/Edge of Tomorrow adaptation film. Some early reviews seem promising. I feel like Tom Cruise has gained a reputation that is more talk than anything else regarding the films he is in. So I'm tentatively looking forward to this.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:03 pm Reply with quote
What's the Tumblr link about the criticism on the recent Sailor Moon translations?
Barbobot

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
What's the Tumblr link about the criticism on the recent Sailor Moon translations?

This isn't the tumblr page, but the site associated with it.

http://www.wewantserena.com/
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
The Sailor Starlights were women that dressed as men in the manga, and men that transformed into women when they transform in the manga.

I don't think you're clearing the waters any...

Clearly Monster. Pluto is a great, relatively compact murder mystery, and while 20th Century Boys was an expansive world, the ending just fell a bit flatter for me than Monster, which also had an enormous, well-crafted cast of characters. And I'm still waiting for anybody to publish Billy Bat...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4