• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic DVD 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:35 pm Reply with quote
This sounds awesome! I've heard a lot of good things about Magi and I think I've become fully convinced, through this great review, to dip into my wallet and start buying the season sets (For Blu-Ray of course. Wink)

I must ask though, how much is this America? Because, and I don't wanna sound pretentious or arrogant, but, usually anime is fairly priced, bordering on cheap-as-chips, here in the UK and in the US the prices for anime on average are more... inflated, to say the least.

Right now I can get all of Season 1 on Blu-Ray for £57 ($96). Does anyone know any better deals?

Last edited by Second Fire Shadow on Sat May 31, 2014 3:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
publicenemy333

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
The first season is being sold on DVD here in two sets (one with 1-12, the other set is 13-25). On rightstuf, each is $59.98 and $64.98 respectively. So honestly, you're probably better off just getting your domestic release
Second Fire Shadow

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 3:33 pm Reply with quote
publicenemy333 wrote:
The first season is being sold on DVD here in two sets (one with 1-12, the other set is 13-25). On rightstuf, each is $59.98 and $64.98 respectively. So honestly, you're probably better off just getting your domestic release

Thanks for the info. Smile

UK purchase it is!
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Second Fire Shadow wrote:

I must ask though, how much is this America? Because, and I don't wanna sound pretentious or arrogant, but, usually anime is fairly priced, bordering on cheap-as-chips, here in the UK and in the US the prices for anime on average are more... inflated, to say the least.

Right now I can get all of Season 1 on Blu-Ray for £57 ($96). Does anyone know any better deals?

Anime in the UK is generally cheaper because they (Manga Entertainment & MVM Entertainement) do nothing else than sub-license titles from NA companies, and this also means UK fans have to wait longer than any other region. They also do not include physical extras like booklets/CDs etc.

Tl;dr
It's concieved as being cheaper because you have to wait longer & get less.

spoiler[I'm in R2, but I barely ever buy R2 releases... Except from Anime Limited & Studio Canal Wink.]

E: Just to clarify, i'm directing my little post towards the highlighted part of the quote. In the case of Magi i'm a little bit confused as the UK have got a BD release but the US have not... I guess it's Aniplex of Japan being paranoid?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The dub is generally quite good and feels very well matched to the original Japanese. There are a few changes, the most notable of which is that the corrupt king of Balbadd, Ahbmad, is given a lisp by Sam Regal. The one major nitpick is in some pronunciation: “Magi” is said “mah-gee” instead of “maj-eye,” which just sounds strange in English, although it matches the Japanese pronunciation. Likewise, Morgiana's name is said with a hard g, which is contrary to the way I at least have heard the name spoken.

I'm relieved to hear the dub is great. Though I'm surprised they chose to pronounce Magi the same way in Japanese. It's pretty obvious which word it is, so why did we imitate it in English? As for Morgiana, I had always imagined her name pronounced more like the g in Morgana, so I guess it's fine (their pronunciation, More-gee-anna, always sounded kind of weird despite I'm used to hearing it by now).
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:58 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Quote:
The dub is generally quite good and feels very well matched to the original Japanese. There are a few changes, the most notable of which is that the corrupt king of Balbadd, Ahbmad, is given a lisp by Sam Regal. The one major nitpick is in some pronunciation: “Magi” is said “mah-gee” instead of “maj-eye,” which just sounds strange in English, although it matches the Japanese pronunciation. Likewise, Morgiana's name is said with a hard g, which is contrary to the way I at least have heard the name spoken.

I'm relieved to hear the dub is great. Though I'm surprised they chose to pronounce Magi the same way in Japanese. It's pretty obvious which word it is, so why did we imitate it in English? As for Morgiana, I had always imagined her name pronounced more like the g in Morgana, so I guess it's fine (their pronunciation, More-gee-anna, always sounded kind of weird despite I'm used to hearing it by now).

People don't like when something is pronounced as the original, and people don't like when something is pronounced as the way it should.
SahgoDN

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:11 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "Magi" the plural form of "Magus"? In which case you would have to call Aladdin "Magus" and... well, that would open an unwanted can of worms.
Guess that's why they just settled for Japanese pronunciation and called it a day.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:39 am Reply with quote
That's a good point, SahgoDN. I hadn't thought of it in those terms, I suppose because he's often talked of as "one of the magi." But yes, that would make sense as to why they used the Japanese pronunciation.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:27 pm Reply with quote
SahgoDN wrote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't "Magi" the plural form of "Magus"? In which case you would have to call Aladdin "Magus" and... well, that would open an unwanted can of worms.
Guess that's why they just settled for Japanese pronunciation and called it a day.

Now that you mention it, that does make sense. When I saw the title for the first time, I was thinking Aladdin was akin to the actual Magi, like a prophet. But I hadn't considered magus.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:20 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I'm relieved to hear the dub is great.

I thought the dub was fine.... until Darrel Guilbeau came out and ruined it. Confused
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1