• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Monster Soul GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unitmikey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Hmmm... this is all good to know. I was never crazy about what little I read of Rave Master, but now that Fairy Tale is so big I was thinking that maybe I should give Mashima another chance, because Monster Soul is only two volumes long. But if volume one isn't that great, then I don't know if only one more volume could save it (but you never know).
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 10:57 pm Reply with quote
I figured Monster Soul might be a good starting point to jump back into his work since it's so short. Shame it doesn't sound that great after reading the review.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:03 am Reply with quote
Well, Fairy Tail was the first manga I started collecting...so I am interested in checking out more of Mashima's work. This review has me thinking that I'll just skip past this short series.

May look more into Rave Master.
Miskos3

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:15 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
Well, Fairy Tail was the first manga I started collecting...so I am interested in checking out more of Mashima's work. This review has me thinking that I'll just skip past this short series.

Rave Master is great. I wholeheartedly recommend it.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:28 am Reply with quote
i wouldnt necessarily say that. for one thing this series is definitely a lot more interesting than the monster hunter manga that he had out. sure its no fairy tail or rave master & the chances of this series ever getting its own anime series are slim to none, but it does have its moments.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Miskos3 wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

Rave Master is great. I wholeheartedly recommend it.

I feel like the list of manga that I'm going to be buying is growing a lot more since I decided to get an account here! Already have started buying 3-4 extra series since I joined. Laughing
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:

I feel like the list of manga that I'm going to be buying is growing a lot more since I decided to get an account here! Already have started buying 3-4 extra series since I joined. Laughing

Stick with me, kid, and your reading list will only grow. Laughing /old-time movie guy voice

Seriously though, Rave Master is good, and jr0904 is right that for its faults, this is better than Monster Hunter Orage. I keep hoping his Mashima-en short story collections will get licensed.
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:24 am Reply with quote
Princess_Irene wrote:
Ali07 wrote:

Stick with me, kid, and your reading list will only grow. Laughing /old-time movie guy voice

Seriously though, Rave Master is good

Laughing Due to other discussions I've added Sankarea, Inu x Boku SS, Millennium Snow, and will now be on the hunt for Rave Master volumes.

Some ANN articles have me waiting to add Evergreen, Kagerou Days, and Iris Zero (if it sees print) to the list.

Before joining, I was just getting Fairy Tail, Nisekoi, and Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan...with no real intention of picking up any other series...my monies!!!!
JR-1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:58 am Reply with quote
Hiro Mashima is the shounen mangaka that frustrates me the most.

Not because he's overrated, bad, or something like that, but because he's really good in some parts but still deficient in some other parts.

His drawing abilities and creativity regarding designs and powers is just one step below Oda (that means really good) but he seems to have problems in weaving long narratives and too often resorts to cheap common shounen twist in the fight itself. Y'know, 'sudden power-up and reversal' or 'using the forbidden power' or something like that.

It's been a while since I read this particular work, but I don't remember this one is particularly different with the above generalization.
Shory

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:33 am Reply with quote
JR-1 wrote:
Hiro Mashima is the shounen mangaka that frustrates me the most.

Not because he's overrated, bad, or something like that, but because he's really good in some parts but still deficient in some other parts.

His drawing abilities and creativity regarding designs and powers is just one step below Oda (that means really good) but he seems to have problems in weaving long narratives and too often resorts to cheap common shounen twist in the fight itself. Y'know, 'sudden power-up and reversal' or 'using the forbidden power' or something like that.

It's been a while since I read this particular work, but I don't remember this one is particularly different with the above generalization.

What irks me the most is that I feel like he can actually do much better when it comes to writing. But he mostly lets himself go in a pre-teen boy's fantasy, so to speak, which is kind of a shame.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:48 pm Reply with quote
All of Mashima's work is generic. From Rave to Fairy Tail, each series is missing that "thing" that makes it number 1.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1