• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Seraph of the End GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ali07

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:38 am Reply with quote
Hmm, while I'm not one that really likes gruesome scenes in manga...there are instances where I don't mind it as long as I can find some likeable characters thrown in there. This does worry me.
Quote:
In fact, on the whole the characters are the weakest part of this volume, with everyone sticking to one defining character trait for the most part, although we do see Yu's gooey center underneath his tough exterior as the book goes on.

Has me thinking I will just skip this series. This is because, to me, this sounds like the characters are one dimensional and that there isn't much to like when it comes to the MCs.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I found the hopping around style a bit jarring. It didn't feel like I was getting to know the characters, barring perhaps that first chapter. The story doesn't settle into itself; it's like it's checking off a list of Things That Need to Happen. At this point, everything feels so predictable--I saw that ending scene coming a mile away.

I would have preferred that there not be a relatively large time skip, too. We miss what could have been a chunk of nice character development with a traumatized Yu. It doesn't help that the characters are pretty one-note at this point. (I, too, was annoyed by Shinoa's recurring digs at Yu's virginity.)

All this said, I'll probably keep buying, just to see if it improves.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a mediocre Shonen Jump series. I'll stick with Naruto.
D288

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 12:36 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:

lol
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:18 pm Reply with quote
EmpoleTRON wrote:
malvarez1 wrote:

lol

Its funny, because Naruto is terribad. (or at least its been since I started reading it in WSJ in Jan 2013)

Seraph has grown on me a lot since it started running in WSJ. It tends to careen wildly from tired cliches, to balls out radical.

I think I like it because its themes remind me a lot of Shin Megami Tensei. I will say this... it gave us this gem of a panel.

Love a series that's a bit self-aware of itself.
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
EmpoleTRON wrote:
malvarez1 wrote:

lol

Its funny, because Naruto is terribad. (or at least its been since I started reading it in WSJ in Jan 2013)

Naruto and Bleach are both contenders for worst series in the magazine at least in my opinion. I lost all patience after reading both series for 10 and 7 years respectively. I'll be blunt and say that I honestly don't believe a weekly series should run longer than 5 years tops.

Anyways, thus far Seraph has been okay in my opinion. I'm not a huge fan or anything I just mainly like the artwork. Rebecca brought up an interesting point in the review the quality seems to slip after the first chapter. I would have much prefferred if the series had gone in a different direction than it did. There's much more interesting series even in the realm of shonen both visually and plot wise.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
EmpoleTRON wrote:
malvarez1 wrote:

lol

Naruto and Bleach are both contenders for worst series in the magazine at least in my opinion. I lost all patience after reading both series for 10 and 7 years respectively. I'll be blunt and say that I honestly don't believe a weekly series should run longer than 5 years tops.

See I actually like Bleach okay. Its got decent battle choreography where YOU CAN ACTUALLY TELL WHAT IS GOING ON. The character designs are all pretty good, and the bad guys are all pretty inspired. Its not deep or anything, but I rank it way higher then Naruto on the grounds of not being an obtuse clusterf***.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:32 pm Reply with quote
The Mad Manga Massacre wrote:
Mr Adventure wrote:
EmpoleTRON wrote:
malvarez1 wrote:

lol

Anyways, thus far Seraph has been okay in my opinion. I'm not a huge fan or anything I just mainly like the artwork. Rebecca brought up an interesting point in the review the quality seems to slip after the first chapter. I would have much prefferred if the series had gone in a different direction than it did. There's much more interesting series even in the realm of shonen both visually and plot wise.

Too bad, your opinion is meaningless. Both Naruto and Bleach have pretty good ranking on shonen jump. I guess you must read it illegally, otherwise, you would read the bad shonen jump series that get cancel after very quick for low ranking and low sale.
sunflower

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:

And, I need to remember that WSJ does not always stand for the Wall Street Journal...

RE this story, I'm confused. There's a virus hanging around (because these things just don't die out) that kills humans over the age of 13. Which implies the onset of puberty makes humans vulnerable.

So no humans are alive that can have kids. And the vampires are polishing off all their stock.

I hope they have fun doing it because all the vampires will be dead in another 14 years or so after their food is gone!
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:38 am Reply with quote
@Sunflower

Well, there's more to it than that that get's revealed in the second chapter, but basically yes, the vampires are practicing some very bad animal husbandry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1