• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sabagebu - Survival Game Club! (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 4:39 am Reply with quote

Sabagebu - Survival Game Club! (TV)

Genres: action, comedy, supernatural
Themes: military

Plot Summary: Middle school girl Momoka is dragged into joining one of the strangest associations at her school, the Survival Game Club. Its members participate in various forms of paramilitary training under the watchful eye of charming and alarming president, Miou. How on Earth will the inexperienced Momoka survive her training, let alone Miou's company?!
----------------------------------

Episode 1:
NicoNico pre-aired the first episode and imo, it was alright. There were a lot of fun moments but at the same time, it managed to spoiler[squeeze in action in the second half. There are quite a lot of guns utilized though, at least more than I had thought.] So far, Miou is my favorite character from the series with her elegance.

The episode finishes off with spoiler[Mission 1 and a relaxing spa scene. I think I might enjoy this ride if it keeps up with this fun atmosphere.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Didn't a show with the exact same premise (and character it seems) air like 2-3 season ago? Didn't realize girl in survival club was now an official genre.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:57 pm Reply with quote
yeah, C3-Bu. fun first half, bad second half. hope this show is better
Volibear

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, well I think "alright" is probably the best word for it, although it's not exactly a positive endorsement. Whilst I didn't mind what I watched it felt like one of the series I will drop around week 3 just to cut down my number of shows (I tend to start about 30 shows/season then drop shows after weeks 1 and 3-4).

For that reason I'm not sure if I'll bother continuing with this one, whilst it's not bad enough to be an instant dismissal, it's not really hooking me in to be enthusiastic about it either.

Then again, it is Summer season, and I've always found it to be a pretty weak season (assuming shows held back for Fall season and Summer gets what's left), so I guess I will keep going with it for that reason.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

Is this really a shoujo? This was hilarious, and it only got funnier through the episode, it was like mixing C3-bu and D-Frag into an awesome hybrid by just going crazy. Over the top gun spoiler[part that arrested the one who should, kidnapping], pretty much saying that the heroine spoiler[is not really a good person herself], the narrator. The narrator saying that spoiler[it is just light hearted as the imagery got increasingly edgy with him saying it is not], and then the heroine spoiler[getting evil revenge]. Also her then spoiler[being drugged], that is so dark it is funny.

I totally did not notice that there was indeed spoiler[someone wearing that costume] during the earlier scene. When they said she was chosen I wondered spoiler[if that meant she just repeated a grade, and yep that was the case]. If this really is shoujo, then I would say this reminds me of one of my favourites last season, TWISB, we have a heroine who is really rather surprising. I will definitely watch this, I hope it keeps the pace up.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:59 pm Reply with quote
that was fun, and hilarious. definitely better than C3-bu. This one's a keeper
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:25 pm Reply with quote
This show seems like what C3-bu should have been. The First episode was surprisingly funny.

Last edited by v1cious on Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:13 am; edited 2 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:50 am Reply with quote
getchman wrote:
that was fun, and hilarious. definitely better than C3-bu. This one's a keeper

QUIT SAYING MY EXACT THOUGHT EVERY TIME!!! Wink

I was very pleasantly surprised by this. As I mentioned in the Preview thread I almost didn't check this out because its premise was identical to Stella Academy and I didn't really like that show.

This one looks like it will be way more fun.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 6:31 am Reply with quote
As this was directed by Masahiko Oota (the mastermind behind Yuru Yuri, Mitsudomoe, Love Lab, and the first Minami-ke) I had to check it out. From what I've heard all my favorite parts were not in the manga, such as the narrator speaking directly to the viewer. So I have high hopes that Oota and his staff can continue to bring the comedy and charm from the most unlikely manga to be published in Nakayoshi.
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:32 am Reply with quote
I'm not too knowledgable about airsoft but I did work in customs for a while so I saw plenty of invoices for them. Aren't the guns in the store priced really low? Or is airsoft just dirt cheap in Japan?

Pretty fun episode. I loved the dramatic view of the battle and I appreciate that the purple haired one is a respected school idol and not an outcast.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:09 am Reply with quote
I can't really speak for whether or not it was accurate for those particular guns, but it seems in range of what this online store offers: http://echigoya-guns.com/
Bango

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 2:35 am Reply with quote
Ah, ok. Thanks. It's likely either a difference in quality or country of origin then (most of the ones I'd see were USA or German imports).

Actually on a rewatch of the scene it turns out I'm just freakin number illiterate. I misread the price tags by an entire digit. LOL I thought her gun was about eq$20, not eq$200.

I stand corrected.
casualfan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Great characters and comedy. I love how the game turns into real battlefield through the girls' minds. And of course gotta mention how fitting the Arnold cameo is.
Fipse

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
From what I've heard all my favorite parts were not in the manga, such as the narrator speaking directly to the viewer.

It takes quite a few liberties. Which is good, the manga is not as funny as the episode. And even better, they did cut out the boys.
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:29 am Reply with quote
Bango wrote:
I'm not too knowledgable about airsoft but I did work in customs for a while so I saw plenty of invoices for them. Aren't the guns in the store priced really low? Or is airsoft just dirt cheap in Japan?

Pretty fun episode. I loved the dramatic view of the battle and I appreciate that the purple haired one is a respected school idol and not an outcast.

Japanese-made airsoft guns are cheaper in Japan, for obvious reasons. It used to be that only Japanese-made guns were worth a damn. Now Chinese guns are cheaper and similar or better quality (with more metal content), so not as many people buy from overseas any more (although most of the time they buy from shops in Hong Kong, not in Japan directly).

Yes, $200 is a reasonable price for a decent gun... but the guns aren't what's expense about airsoft unless you buy a ton of them. It's all the equipment you end up buying...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5