• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Love Stage!! (TV).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A Mystery

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote

Love Stage!! (TV)

Genres: comedy, romance
Themes: shounen-ai, showbiz, yaoi
Based on a manga by Eiki Eiki (story) and Taishi Zao/Mikiyo Tsuda (illustrations, who also created Princess Princess). Director: Kasai Kenichi (Bakuman, Honey & Clover)

Episode reviews: Main page/Ep 1-7/Ep 8/Ep 9/Ep 10

Plot Summary: Izumi was born in a family of celebrities. His father is a singer, his mother and artist, his older brother the lead vocalist for the popular band Crashers. Izumi himself, however, is just a nerdy college student. He loves the manga "Magical Girl Lala Lulu" and dreams of becoming a manga writer himself. One day he is roped into filming a commercial where he wears a dress. Another actor on the set, Ryoma Ichijo, mistakes him for a woman and falls in love at first sight. As it turns out, though, they met ten years in the past. And Ryoma feelings don't change when he finds out Izumi is a boy.

This series is streaming on Crunchyroll.

First Episode: Really liked it. It feels a bit like a classic romance with BL and glimpses of Skip Beat! (Izumi cannot beat Kyoko's awesome character, though she admittedly was a doormat in the beginning). Poor thing cannot draw at all Laughing. Though it's a pretty generic premise with an interesting hook, I thought this episode was executed better than the other BL show airing this summer. I hope he can find something he both likes and has talent for.

Last edited by A Mystery on Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:20 am; edited 5 times in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:53 pm Reply with quote
@A Mystery
This is in part from the same person who created Princess Princess. See my note in the thread for the Crunchyroll announcement.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info. I've never seen that series. The creator does seem to like crossdressing.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:18 pm Reply with quote
According to her author notes, Taishi Zaou, the name credited for Love Stage!! is the alias she uses for her more hard BL stuff. In the earlier The Day of Revolution, the main character actually involuntarily changes from a guy to a girl instead of crossdressing.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Well I have never watched a yaoi before, so I decided to try this because I was bored. I liked the first episode and will continue watching it. It helps that one of the guy looks like a trap.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:23 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@A Mystery
This is in part from the same person who created Princess Princess. See my note in the thread for the Crunchyroll announcement.

Ahah I recognize that humanoid bear.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm not positive, but I think the singer credited in the announcement is her brother. She used to talk of a brother who was a singer and used the stage name Daigo Star~Dust or something close to that.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 1

No, I am not supposed to like BL! And why am I watching so many shows meant for the opposite gender? Sure I am giving some respect to shows that are not usually my cup of team, but I started the episode expecting it to be torture and make fun of it, but ended up actually enjoying it and wanting the romance to happen.

If it actually continues to be entertaining, then I am totally watching this BL anime.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:17 pm Reply with quote
That wasn't a bad first episode. Somehow though it feels more like reading a manga than any anime I've seen. Not sure why exactly.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Even though I'm a BL fan, I went into this episode thinking I'd only find it decent, since other than the BL part nothing in the plot summary really caught my attention. But I'm glad to say my prediction was wrong!

This episode was funny and entertaining, and I found myself really liking Izumi. He seems like someone I could be friends with. I like how even though he makes a really pretty girl, he still manages to look like a guy when not all made-up. Ryouma seems like a genuinely nice guy, too.

I wasn't expecting the episode to end spoiler[before Ryouma finds out Izumi is a guy] (not sure if that even needs a spoiler, but I guess just in case), but how they did end it does make sense for this kind of story.

Finally, I have to give Izumi props for his dedication to his mangaka dream, however...I think even I draw better than he does, and I'm the worst artist out of everyone I know. Rei's description of his drawing "talent" was probably the funniest line in the episode. Laughing
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Gosh that was hilarious. Did their eyes remind anyone else of Haruka's from UtaPri? I really feel for Izumi being a shy one in such an extroverted family...
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Mostly they all have pin-point pupils like Valium addicts (Dad does seem a bit too calm). Smile I did notice that Izumi's eyes are exactly the same colors as the marble. Probably why Ryouma's in love. Smile
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:27 am Reply with quote
That was so funny. Izumi's attempts at drawing manga were hilarious Laughing

st_owly wrote:
Did their eyes remind anyone else of Haruka's from UtaPri?

Yes! That's the first thing that I thought of when I saw them.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:58 pm Reply with quote

spoiler[Lala-Lulu = total perfection.
Never seen such a skilled transfer student.
I bet he regrets it was just a daydream..
His first kiss... stolen forever... ^^"
Ryouma... sigh...
Shougo is way too happy-go-lucky.
It's amazing how naive & easily persuaded Izumi is.
Still, that just makes things even more interesting.
The ending was epic & that realization was priceless!!]
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Lol that reaction.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5