• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Programming in the US

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdo7

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Although this is a very interesting panel interview and I just learn a lot more.

About the piracy thing, I can understand but still there's a lot of thing that doesn't make sense regarding piracy and anime, and there's still things I don't understand. I'm not going to explain it on the thread because I would be going off topic (and it would be considered soapboxing).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:17 am Reply with quote
What the Japanese anime industry does and what English distributors "say it does" are completely different things. There is so much damn anime now in 2014, with no stopping in sight.

All this fuel and no one can light a match with out getting banned by Zac or having the topic locked.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:45 am Reply with quote
that's right, it is America's fault the Japanese anime budget is decreasing.

Pirating hurts everyone, because pirates who were not going to buy anime anyway, now are not buying anime.
Lavnovice9

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:57 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Snider (former Senior Manager of Brands and Broadcast at Funimation): I can speak to a title called Shin-chan. Shin-chan was a very special title. It was a big deal to bring it to the US. It was sold to Adult Swim, but it had to be completely rewritten for the US, because the Japanese translation was not funny to a US audience

That's strange, I've watched the Japanese version for about a decade now and find it much more entertaining than that Family Guy wannabe dub that aired on Adult Swim. Maybe some audiences just need to expand their idea of what humor is beyond crude family sitcoms.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:09 am Reply with quote
If you have to rewrite a show to suit American tastes, maybe it shouldn't have been licensed to begin with. Or, you know, you could dub it faithfully anyway and let the chips fall where they may.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hitokiri Kenshin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:21 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
If you have to rewrite a show to suit American tastes, maybe it shouldn't have been licensed to begin with. Or, you know, you could dub it faithfully anyway and let the chips fall where they may.

Japan does that to our cartoons too.
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 3:38 am Reply with quote
Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

That doesn't mean it makes sense. It seems to me that if Snider finds the title so distasteful, a) she might be in the wrong line of work, and b) she's underestimating her audience in thinking that they all think like her. Most anime watchers are capable of watching something like that knowing that it's a cartoon and a joke.
Drac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 12:51 pm Reply with quote
It's a shame but I'm glad they didn't go anywhere near the Shin Chan films. Those look way to great to have some terrible gag dub be only audio track.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Drac wrote:
It's a shame but I'm glad they didn't go anywhere near the Shin Chan films. Those look way to great to have some terrible gag dub be only audio track.

I've always wanted The Adult Empire Strikes Back to find its way here, but hopefully uncut and bilingual.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Rodriguez: There's still 40 titles a season.

Audience: But they were at 100 in 2005.

I'm pretty sure the 'Audience' here is conflating season(what Rodrigues likely meant) and year.
Here's a chart over the quantity of released anime between 1996 to 2011.

As for the last question by 'Audience' and the replies... I refrain from comment, but I am however reminded of a well-known adage by EFF veteran John Gilmore; "The Net interprets censorship as damage and routes around it."
Zalis116

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:17 am Reply with quote
Kudo wrote:
Every time you watch something for free, you are taking something away from the next project…

Someone tell that to all the Japanese viewers watching 100% legal latenight TV broadcasts that anime studios not only don't profit from, but actively pay TV stations to show. Why not abandon TV altogether and just create a "Japanese CR" and stream everything with ads for the discs/merchandise or ad-free for a subscription fee?
誤称

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:29 am Reply with quote
Some serious head in the sand grandstanding there by the industry. Watching things for free does not hurt the industry, especially if you're watching them on hulu or crunchyroll or adult swim. The industry gets its shekels in the form of ad revenue and despite not buying the plastic discs, still gets a cut.

I have little sympathy for people being so overly dramatic about such things and trying to shout down the truth that the industry is booming not shrinking. Anime, and the industry, is far better off now than it was in 2005.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:50 am Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
Some serious head in the sand grandstanding there by the industry. Watching things for free does not hurt the industry, especially if you're watching them on hulu or crunchyroll or adult swim.

I think you're taking that out of context. That entire point of the discussion was directly about piracy and I believe that is what he meant when he said watching it for "free"
Guile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:
I'm pretty sure the 'Audience' here is conflating season(what Rodrigues likely meant) and year.
Here's a chart over the quantity of released anime between 1996 to 2011.

I noticed this as well, as I don't recall a single season we got 100 shows during. In western broadcasting season usually refers to a year of episodes. For example, a season of Breaking Bad will air for a few months then go on hiatus until the same time the following year where the next season will premier. In terms of anime, however, seasons refer to quarterly time periods. Winter, Spring, Summer, and Autumn. This is generally why I use the term cour instead of season. Cour, which is 13 episodes, makes much more sense in the realm of anime given it's programming schedule and a lot of anime are only 1 or 2 cours long making it easier to describe.

Hitokiri Kenshin wrote:

I would argue against this, actually. Most of American programming which airs on TV in Japan is much more faithful than Japanese programming which airs in America from what I have seen. The only examples I ever see listed to show the contrary are a couple shows from a few decades ago like Beast Wars. The lack of recent examples in people's lists only tells me how rare this practice actually is.
agila61

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:56 pm Reply with quote
誤称 wrote:
Some serious head in the sand grandstanding there by the industry. Watching things for free does not hurt the industry, especially if you're watching them on hulu or crunchyroll or adult swim.

Watching it "for free" on HuluFree or Crunchyroll as a free member is not actually watching it for free ~ the advertisers are paying for the view.

And watching if "for free" on Adult Swim is like watching it on HuluPlus ~ there are both the advertisers paying, plus the carriage fee paid by all cable subscribers to Cartoon Network.

They are referring to watching it with nobody paying.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2