• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - High On Life

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:27 am Reply with quote
I happen to be an expert on the Maze TV anime.
Originally aired on TV as a 25 episode show, it was later released on VHS. As a prize for buying all of the VHS tapes, you could order an extra tape that contained the 26th episode. Yes, the 26th episode does exist, and yes, it is a total fanservice episode. Later, the show was released on Laser Disc, but without the 26th episode. Episode 26 is VHS only. Both the VHS and LD versions have extra scenes and nudity not scene on TV.
Now, here's where it gets interesting. The Maze movie was created and shown on the Japanese big screens, but it was a bomb. The plan was then to release the show on DVD along with the movie. But something happened. Nobody knows exactly, but it seems that the masters were lost. Not THAT big of a problem for the TV series, but the movie had not yet been released on any type of home media. So, because the masters seem to have been lost, nobody has ever seen the movie, except the people who actually went to the cinema in the short period it aired.
Because the uncensored tapes were gone, JC Staff did not bother releasing the censored version on DVD. When the US licensed it, they got the censored TV version of the show, because that was all they had left.
The 26th episode exists online, with subtitles, as do the uncensored TV episode. I should know...
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:40 am Reply with quote
Digimon is a weird one. Everything got released one way or another in Japan, but then a lot of it went out of print. Within the past few years, Cinedigm's been putting the dub on DVD, but for Japan, almost everything is on the second-hand market, minus the movies and the fifth series(the sixth, and most recent, series is only available for rental).

Of course, this will change soon with the first series, Adventure, and all the films, getting a Blu-ray release next year. If you want the second through fourth series, though, it's pay scalper prices or bust. Or fansubs.
Parvati-IV

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:00 am Reply with quote
The second half of GALS! was never released on DVD in Japan. It's amusing to see amazon japan listing the Japanese singles for the first half, and the "import" Nozomi set for the second.
Zendervai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:00 am Reply with quote
About the Canadian theatrical release thing: Canada only has one really big theater chain, Cineplex, which is right across the country. Instead of having to deal with a ton of tiny companies, the distributor only needs to negotiate once. That's actually why the Canadian anime releases tend to be at 7:30 on Thursday night across the country, or on Sunday at 12:30. Because Cineplex decided that was the best time for the special one or two time only showings.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:05 am Reply with quote
Another TV anime series I can think that has a similar status as Maze TV would be the infamous Gundoh Musashi from 2006, though it's slightly different in situation. The first eight episodes were released on DVD in Japan, 100% accurate to the original TV airing (and done in letterbox format, to boot!), but the rest of the show never got released. There were plans for a complete collection "MUSASHIBOX" that would even feature fixed animation (though in this show's case it would be more like completely redone animation), but that boxset never happened. Oddly enough, though, the entire series does have a complete DVD release in certain European countries under the name Musashi -La voie du pistolet- via Kazé France, who released it across three DVD singles & then a complete collection, both of which feature French, Italian, & Dutch (or is it German?) subtitles.

One example that does fit Maze's situation more closely, though, is 1998's AWOL -Absent WithOut Leave-. This series was infamous for its non-existent pacing, Justin even called it "unwatchable" upon mention in his old Buried Treasure article on the first Eat-Man anime (I still maintain that Ehrgeiz was very enjoyable, though), so when it got released on VHS & LD in Japan it was retooled. Four episodes-worth of content was removed for AWOL Compression ReMIX, which converted the 12 24-minute TV episodes into four 45-minute OVAs. When AnimeVillage.com licensed AWOL from d-rights, though, they weren't given the home video version, but rather were given the original TV series! Yeah, the VHS tapes we got for AWOL back in 1999 were completely exclusive to our country, and because of that they are (apparently) highly-valued among Japanese otaku, at least if the Amazon Japan Marketplace prices are anything to go off of (4,800-12,660 yen!), especially when compared to the prices of the Compression ReMIX tapes, most of which are sold for a single yen (the LDs are super rare, though).

Much like Maze, though, AWOL has never been re-released on DVD. It's just that our VHS tapes are something Japan never got.
mrakai

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:08 am Reply with quote
Hulu still exists as a brand in Japan but not owned by the US parent anymore. It's owned by NTV.

Hulu in japan was and is a very different beast than in the US.

In the US, it's a freemium, ad based "catch up" service.

In Japan, it's a subscription based US Simulcast site (latest shows from the US networks, usually subtitled, sometimes dubbed). Kind of like a reverse crunchyroll.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:18 am Reply with quote
Satoru-san created various 90s anime that I will consider watching since a number are fan service-based.
thennarynak

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:23 am Reply with quote
Nonaka Machine Gun B wrote:
Digimon is a weird one. Everything got released one way or another in Japan, but then a lot of it went out of print. Within the past few years, Cinedigm's been putting the dub on DVD, but for Japan, almost everything is on the second-hand market, minus the movies and the fifth series(the sixth, and most recent, series is only available for rental).

Of course, this will change soon with the first series, Adventure, and all the films, getting a Blu-ray release next year. If you want the second through fourth series, though, it's pay scalper prices or bust. Or fansubs.

I believe the first few Japanese releases of Digimon on DVD was with limited runs. I recall the Digimon Adventure DVD boxset at least being released a couple different times despite being the same product. (I ended up being able to snag one myself I think the second time they released it.) I think they followed the same pattern with the rest of the older series getting boxsets. Savers came out after they began doing so which is why it got individual disc releases for its Japanese DVD release.
doomydoomdoom

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:28 am Reply with quote
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Go-Lion as a series that was only released on DVD over here. It wasn't very popular in Japan, but thanks to Voltron there was a huge audience for a DVD release in the U.S.
ムギまる

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:39 am Reply with quote
mrakai wrote:
Hulu still exists as a brand in Japan but not owned by the US parent anymore. It's owned by NTV.

Hulu in japan was and is a very different beast than in the US.

In the US, it's a freemium, ad based "catch up" service.

In Japan, it's a subscription based US Simulcast site (latest shows from the US networks, usually subtitled, sometimes dubbed). Kind of like a reverse crunchyroll.

The point being made is that hulu, regardless of whatever different form it took within the Japanese market, hasn't changed the buying habits of Japanese Anime fans.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anyone else know of another one that was released here on DVD, but not there? Let me know in the comments!

Apparently, Lily C.A.T.

doomy: Interesting.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:56 pm Reply with quote
zendervai wrote:
About the Canadian theatrical release thing: Canada only has one really big theater chain, Cineplex, which is right across the country. Instead of having to deal with a ton of tiny companies, the distributor only needs to negotiate once. That's actually why the Canadian anime releases tend to be at 7:30 on Thursday night across the country, or on Sunday at 12:30. Because Cineplex decided that was the best time for the special one or two time only showings.

I'm thankful that they at least remember that Canada exists.

Still, when selecting what areas to show it in, I'd expect Toronto and other places that actually matter, but no one really cares about Windsor (including the people living here). I'm happy it gets selected, of course, but I still wonder why.

When I went to see the Tiger and Bunny movie there was only one other person in the theater with me. That's a bit concerning, but I just got back from a packed theater showing DBZ, so...

I've gone to see everything that's come out here, with the exception of the Madoka movies and that Short Piece thing.
omiya

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
In Australia Madman has had a good relationship with the Palace cinema chain, so most anime movies were shown there except Ponyo which made a few mainstream cinema screens.

Have a look at http://www.reelanime.com/#/history if you are interested in what has been shown here recently (along with Studio Ghibli movies since Spirited Away).
noblesse oblige

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:09 pm Reply with quote
In regards to Peter's question about how the bookings of anime films work: one common method that wasn't mentioned is that many art house theaters subscribe to a booking service that chooses their films for them. In those cases it is in the hands of a booking service.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I happen to be an expert on the Maze TV anime.
Originally aired on TV as a 25 episode show, it was later released on VHS. As a prize for buying all of the VHS tapes, you could order an extra tape that contained the 26th episode. Yes, the 26th episode does exist, and yes, it is a total fanservice episode. Later, the show was released on Laser Disc, but without the 26th episode. Episode 26 is VHS only. Both the VHS and LD versions have extra scenes and nudity not scene on TV.
Now, here's where it gets interesting. The Maze movie was created and shown on the Japanese big screens, but it was a bomb. The plan was then to release the show on DVD along with the movie. But something happened. Nobody knows exactly, but it seems that the masters were lost. Not THAT big of a problem for the TV series, but the movie had not yet been released on any type of home media. So, because the masters seem to have been lost, nobody has ever seen the movie, except the people who actually went to the cinema in the short period it aired.
Because the uncensored tapes were gone, JC Staff did not bother releasing the censored version on DVD. When the US licensed it, they got the censored TV version of the show, because that was all they had left.
The 26th episode exists online, with subtitles, as do the uncensored TV episode. I should know...

That's some awesome info. I am quite a fan of Maze: The Megaburst Space(such a strange and fun gender bender it is) so thank you.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3