• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell Arise English Dub Trailer Streamed

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deus257

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:39 am Reply with quote
Whoa, Mary Elizabeth Mcglynn Very Happy, Not really surprised that she isn't playing young Matoko, But glad she's playing Matoko's Superior Smile Very Happy
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:50 am Reply with quote
mmmmmmmm, yeah, I really need to hear more to get an actual opinion on it. There isn't much dialogue in it. I especially want to hear more of the new Motoko.

All I'll say for now is that I really wish they brought Epcar back, at the very least. Nothing against Sabat, but they really went the cliched route there.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:59 am Reply with quote
Stupid Funimation. Do not fix what is not broken. If you're going to take on a series then you better make damn sure that you can get all of the brilliant actors to reprise from series before. The actors from SAC are half of the reason why GITS has reached the acclaim that it has on this side of the pond!

No justice done.
ResistNormal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Needs more Richard Epcar.
hojo 360

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:09 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
mmmmmmmm, yeah, I really need to hear more to get an actual opinion on it. There isn't much dialogue in it. I especially want to hear more of the new Motoko.

All I'll say for now is that I really wish they brought Epcar back, at the very least. Nothing against Sabat, but they really went the cliched route there.
Yea this Sabat has a cool voice but he's no Epcar and will never be and i hate the fact Sabat trys to take on some of Epcar's old rolls like jigen daisuke (witch sabat fth up) and now batou Rolling Eyes how hard would it have been to get Epcar back?
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
yeah...it doesn't work. I thought Sakamoto was terribly miscast in the Japanese version and this version doesn't work either. Making the Major younger was a mistake and this version just lacks the kind of charm and depth all the other versions had. Furthermore, not having the other major VA's reprise their roles just adds to the dissonance.
u6064vision

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Quite the entitled bunch in here that feel like they are owed something. As soon as the casting announcements were made you guys already made it clear that you aren't giving much in return like a purchase of this release anyways right? Don't act as if you are surprised and keep harping on this Epcar brigade over and over. You knew exactly what you were getting with Sabat.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:02 pm Reply with quote
u6064vision wrote:
Quite the entitled bunch in here that feel like they are owed something. As soon as the casting announcements were made you guys already made it clear that you aren't giving much in return like a purchase of this release anyways right? Don't act as if you are surprised and keep harping on this Epcar brigade over and over. You knew exactly what you were getting with Sabat.

Except that goes both ways. Sure, they're not obligated to bring back the original cast. But potential customers are also not obligated to support the series if they feel like it doesn't meet their expectations.
ResistNormal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:12 pm Reply with quote
I really wish they brought Richard Epcar back, the man loved being Batou. The GITS:SAC Dub is one that is highly regarded, almost at a Cowboy Bebop level, to ignore that is foolhardy.

Any conversation that has the word "entitled" or "entitlement" gets ignored by me. Its only purpose lately is to shut down conversation and criticism. Kinda like how the word "pretentious" has come to mean "I didn't get it" now.
Joe anime

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:44 pm Reply with quote
u6064vision wrote:

Yea,they expected FUNimation to get the english dub cast from SAC,but the thing is,this happens before the events of SAC.the characters here are younger.plus,the Japanese voice cast is different so it's only fair that the english dub cast for Arise be somewhat different too.the fans should be glad that FUNi got Mary Elizabeth McGlynn to voice a character in Arise instead of crying and whining about not having the original SAC english dub cast.
u6064vision

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:16 pm Reply with quote
ResistNormal wrote:
I really wish they brought Richard Epcar back, the man loved being Batou. The GITS:SAC Dub is one that is highly regarded, almost at a Cowboy Bebop level, to ignore that is foolhardy.

Funi in the past have shown generosity time and time again and made great strides solely/mostly for the sake of people like you and others in this thread by going out of they're way hunting down and offering voice actors to reprise they're roles just to cater to their consumers to enjoy seeing a smile on their faces. Can't say that for other anime distributors. They are switching it up and trying something different; so you and others crucify them for that... *sigh*
hellsingfan01

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote
stupid funimation get rid of the freaking region lock i can'tfreaking see the video because of this shit
ResistNormal

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
u6064vision wrote:
ResistNormal wrote:

Funi in the past have shown generosity time and time again and made great strides solely/mostly for the sake of people like you and others in this thread by going out of they're way hunting down and offering voice actors to reprise they're roles just to cater to their consumers to enjoy seeing a smile on their faces. Can't say that for other anime distributors. They are switching it up and trying something different; so you and others crucify them for that... *sigh*

Ohh poor Funimation, Did the fans hurt there feelings. How dare fan be passionate and care about the things they like. Rolling Eyes

Ghost in The Shell was never the biggest hit in japan, so its no surprise they tried switch up the voice actors to attract a new audience. (I hope they don't moe-fy the Major.) Internationally speaking there is an audience with an expectation of the same excellence that came before.

Also for the record I wouldn't crucify anyone too religiousiee for me.

Last edited by ResistNormal on Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
daichi383

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:36 pm Reply with quote
After hearing Epcar as Batou for this long i don't think i'll ever get used to Sabat. Sabat is a good actor but damn he's no Epcar and they should've just tried someone else in this type of role. They always use Sabat but it just doesn't work here.

The major however sounds about as good as i was expecting given the actress has been pretty good in what i've heard her in. Need to hear Togusa and Aramaki before deciding if i like this or not though.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 4:07 pm Reply with quote
ResistNormal wrote:

Ghost in The Shell was never the biggest hit in japan, so its no surprise they tried switch up the voice actors to attract a new audience. (I hope they don't moe-fy the Major.)

They don't moe-fy her. It's more like Sakamoto is trying really, really hard to play a hard-edged version of the Major...and it DOESN'T work. It's like watching a fifteen-year-old try to act like a hard-boiled detective. Part of it is how the Major looks, which again runs counter to how her personality is in Arise but a lot of it also goes to the Sakamoto being miscast. Sakamoto has tried these types of characters before and they don't work. It's not the worst one she's ever done (Lightning from FFXIII takes that award) but she's just not any good at the "tuff" woman role.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3