• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Adds Touya Mikanagi's Karneval Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:57 pm Reply with quote
Very interested in this & think it should do well for them.

However, I hope they either release it in single volumes or release it in omnibuses for its entire run. I'm not a fan of the switch from omnibus to singles that The Betrayal Knows My Name and Loveless received.
cosain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:02 pm Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:

However, I hope they either release it in single volumes or release it in omnibuses for its entire run. I'm not a fan of the switch from omnibus to singles that The Betrayal Knows My Name and Loveless received.

It's a good (underrated) series imo
I'm glad Yen decide to pick it up since CY kinda went ka-poof and stopped publishing it after Volume 9 Sad thankfully i didn't buy the CY release a few years back as I waited till more volumes come out till the news hit.

I DO hope they release it as single volumes, because the volume cover art is stunning to look at *u*
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Thank you, Yen. I was hoping this one would get licensed. I hope it does well for them.
rahzel rose
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:59 am Reply with quote
This is FANTASTIC news. March can't come fast enough.

CallumKeyblade wrote:

For Betryal, they switched because they had to. That single volume is the last one she put out, and she hasn't written anymore of series past a couple chapters after that. So if you wanted an omnibus, you'd be waiting for forever basically.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:49 am Reply with quote
I'm intrigued. Like others I would prefer single volumes, 1. there is more art work to look at, 2. the books are easier to hold, 3. they look better on a shelf.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
outdoorpajamas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:52 am Reply with quote
I'm super happy about this. I was buying the Italian editions but they've stalled after volume 7 and it cost a bit too much in the long run (not to mention my Italian is only so-so though the books themselves were beautiful to look at anyway). The art books are quite nice, too. Very excited! xoxo
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:42 am Reply with quote
Good news for Karneval fans. I'm glad.

CallumKeyblade wrote:

I hate it when I buy a complete series in single volumes and then the publisher releases them in omnibus editions with extras, like color pages or improved translations, that weren't in the single editions. I feel like it's a disservice to the fans who want to support the series from the get-go.
Izu0

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote
I want secound season
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lys

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote
here-and-faraway wrote:
I hate it when I buy a complete series in single volumes and then the publisher releases them in omnibus editions with extras, like color pages or improved translations, that weren't in the single editions. I feel like it's a disservice to the fans who want to support the series from the get-go.

How often does that happen, though? Viz's 3in1s are meant for collectors on a budget so I don't think they have anything in the way of extras. All I can think of are license rescues, like the original Alice in the Country of Hearts or Paradise Kiss or Sailormoon. When a new publisher picks up another company's series and republishes it from the beginning, of course they want readers to re-buy their editions, so it makes sense to include bonus content. Updated translations are also a service to the fans as a means of correcting old faults: wouldn't you rather have the option to upgrade, or do you really want the "bad" translation to be the only choice? (my perspective is that the choice to use a "bad" translation has already been made (probably several years ago), so there's nothing to gain by wishing away that part of the past. just move on and make things better!)

Anyway, Yen's omnibuses all include unused covers as colour pages so if this is published that way, you wouldn't be missing out on any artwork (unless you planned to arrange them all together with the covers facing and stare at them as a group: then I guess you couldn't see both the cover and inner page at the same time).
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:

Same here. However its' release I vastly prefer uniformity in the volumes, be they singles or omnibuses. I've even considered re-buying Loveless so I can get the other volumes to match.

Karneval from what I've seen of the anime and read online is definitely a series I could get hooked on.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Kind of inevitable this would get licensed by someone. I'm just fed up with how expensive Yen Press stuff is over here these days. I've found I'm buying a lot less from them because of it, but I'll still pick this up because I've heard it's vastly superior to the anime.
Suena

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:00 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Kind of inevitable this would get licensed by someone. I'm just fed up with how expensive Yen Press stuff is over here these days. I've found I'm buying a lot less from them because of it, but I'll still pick this up because I've heard it's vastly superior to the anime.

I always wait for a sale Wink

This title has been on my top-5 list of manga I've been wanting to see licensed here, so this is very, very good news.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:

Yeah, I'm thankful that the likes of Pandora Hearts & Soul Eater are ending as Yen Press' series are getting expensive. Each volume costs me around £7 which seems a bit steep when Viz & Kodansha's series are about £5 per volume.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:34 am Reply with quote
I've never really noticed a price difference between Yen Press titles and others, though I don't pick mine up from high street stores.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:57 am Reply with quote
TsunaReborn! wrote:

I've never really noticed a price difference between Yen Press titles and others, though I don't pick mine up from high street stores.

Guess it's the price to pay for more peculiar titles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2