• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Personal Demons

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:57 pm Reply with quote
yuyushiki was pretty fun, I think I will rewatch it thanks to your review, I remember some very perverted jokes coming out of left field, mainly the joke about yui's clitoris.
The fact that the show rarely does that is what makes them so fun.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I liked Fate/Prisma whatever. Some of the Yuri stuff was annoying, but the animation for the fights, like you said, was gorgeous!

I was mixed on the dub, though. Illya sounded too old.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:47 pm Reply with quote
It's good to point out that F/KLPI is a fun show by the end because that initial episode was... not good. I just really like the glowing parts of fight scenes and I need to get some sort of figure of Saber from this show. As for that second season, the end should be coming soon so I feel a personal binge watch coming. Hopefully it manages to tone down some of the frivolous fan-servicey moments that managed to sporadically stank up season one, because it could really become something more special.

And Tokyo Ghoul is pretty good but I think it still needs to push a lot harder to be a really great series, because it just feels like it still has so much potential. I would think that the manga should be licensed soon though (hopefully) for some sort of companionship in the US once the show has finished it's season.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote
unitmikey wrote:
Hopefully it manages to tone down some of the frivolous fan-servicey moments that managed to sporadically stank up season one, because it could really become something more special.

The fanservice ratio has been tripled thanks to Kuro. So no, it's not toning down anything. The fanservice is toned up, and the battles are toned UP TO ELEVEN!!!!!!!

Seriously though, Bazette is a monster. Now I know wht Kotomine wasted her in FSN. She would have curb-stomped everyone except llya and Berserker or Gilgamesh.
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote
LOVE the Yuyushiki love!

I know it looks like the most watered down slice of life, but it had a lot of charm going the further and further the story went. And it's a lovely show to relax with. Unexpectedly funny and witty at times too. Love the girls calling their sensei, 'mom'. My old classmates did that too.
SquadmemberRitsu

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I thought Yuyushiki was a bit generic at first but it really, really grew on me as it went along. In terms of 4koma adaptations K-ON, Hidamari Sketch, and Kiniro Mosaic are probably better but I still really enjoyed it regardless.

I'm actually in the middle of watching Prisma Illya at the moment (6 episodes to be exact) and I'm not really sure what I think of it aside from the fact that it's most certainly better than I thought it would be. I love all the throwbacks to the Fate franchise both subtle and blatant, the action scenes (Although not Fate/Zero tier) are absolutely gorgeous, the production values are high, the cast is solid and the comedy is good for the most part. But the plot is kind of mediocre and despite being enjoyable I just can't shake how generic it all is. Sometimes it plays itself off as a parody of the mahou shoujo but for the most part it's a straight mahou shoujo (Albeit with a few Fate/stay Night references and an older male target audience). And as straight mahou shoujo let's just say it's no CCS or Precure. Still, it's a decent watch overall and a nice companion series to the Fate franchise.

However, the English Dub does not fair quite as well. It's bad enough in the first place that there's no attempt to make it consistent with the English dubs for the rest of the franchise. What makes it even worse is that its fraught with the same problems that plague the worst Sentai dubs. Generally bad voice acting, poor translations, awkward dialogue and for some reason Illya's VA sounds like she's doing a Rei Ayanami impersonation. Needless to say I'm watching the show subbed.
Northlander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Another thing about Yuyushiki is that it had the crispest, clearest video feed I think I've ever seen on any Bluray stuff I've bought. I've bought a lot of shows on Bluray, and I've often wondered whether I'm really getting my full HD's worth, but there is no doubt about that with Yuyushiki. The art and animation is as sharp as its sense of humor, which is to say a lot.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:58 pm Reply with quote
Totally in agreement with Bamboo about F/KL. Even as a franchise fan it was merely a middling bit of fun until the Saber fight, especially the point in it where spoiler[Ilya uses the Archer card to become a Heroic Spirit herself]. Then it kicked up so many notches that my jaw dropped. I still go back and periodically rewatch that scene just to remind myself how frickin' cool it was.

One thing that I didn't see any commentary on, that I was particularly interested in hearing about, was how the English dub stacked up. Any thoughts on that, Bamboo?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
eyeresist

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:18 am Reply with quote
After reading about Tokyo Ghoul I was disappointed to realise this show is still streaming, as opposed to being available complete. That character design really does it for me, for some reason. Creepily beautiful.
Asrialys

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:42 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
One thing that I didn't see any commentary on, that I was particularly interested in hearing about, was how the English dub stacked up. Any thoughts on that, Bamboo?

I like Cynthia Martinez, but she was a poor choice. Maybe they were trying to match...something, but it only resulted in Cynthia making Illya sound much older and a bit serious. Illya's personality felt a little different with Cynthia's voice and acting.

Everyone else does pretty well, mostly. Joanne Bonasso's Ruby is wonderful (almost thought it was Luci Christian at first, as it sounded like the narrator of Okami-san and her Seven Companions). Although, Shelley's version of Luvia's aristocratic laugh was a bit obnoxious.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:39 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Totally in agreement with Bamboo about F/KL. Even as a franchise fan it was merely a middling bit of fun until the Saber fight, especially the point in it where spoiler[Ilya uses the Archer card to become a Heroic Spirit herself]. Then it kicked up so many notches that my jaw dropped. I still go back and periodically rewatch that scene just to remind myself how frickin' cool it was.

I think I must not have the gene that makes people enjoy coolness. I mean, I can tell that things like the Saber fight are cool, but it doesn't make me feel anything... this probably explains why I'm only halfway interested in things like Fate and AoT.

Yuyushiki was great, though. Unlike a lot of slice of life shows, it rarely contrives situations to be cute or deliberately funny. Instead, it usually goes with the flow and lets the characters do and say the kinds of random and pointless things that real people would, which makes it feel very genuine. There's a scene where one of the girls says a phrase that sounds sort of rhythmic, and before long they're all chanting it over and over and laughing at each other--very much a "you had to be there" kind of gag, and it only works because the whole show is built around similar in-jokes.
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:42 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:
Key wrote:

I like Cynthia Martinez, but she was a poor choice. Maybe they were trying to match...something, but it only resulted in Cynthia making Illya sound much older and a bit serious. Illya's personality felt a little different with Cynthia's voice and acting.

Everyone else does pretty well, mostly. Joanne Bonasso's Ruby is wonderful (almost thought it was Luci Christian at first, as it sounded like the narrator of Okami-san and her Seven Companions). Although, Shelley's version of Luvia's aristocratic laugh was a bit obnoxious.

well i liked the dub version. sure it wasnt perfect but neither was sasami magical girls club. also the casting is fine. unfortunately the reason why people had a beef and was complaining about the dub and casting was that sentai didn't made the option to have bang zoom handle the dub and have steaphnie seph and melia lee reprise their roles as illya and rin which i have no problem with since it was a business decision. though it would have been nice if it was possible for sentai to afford bang zoom's services or if possible get the services of both miss seph and miss lee pending on those uber confusing union/non union rules that to be frank is getting more and more like a pain in the backside to understand.

But its as i said,i can definitely understand why Sentai made the decision.Better to use former ADV VA and funi vets instead of using bang zoom which have a knack of being more expensive. hopefully that wont be the case for heaven's feel and the new FSN TV series cause it will definitely need BZ or the cast that did fate zero for both to be successful here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:51 am Reply with quote
Asrialys wrote:

Bonasso was very impressive especially since her most noteworthy roll was 7 years ago. SCB's laugh was supposed to be obnoxious, her problem was she never got the timing down. Caitlynn French had a return to form after her fantastic work in Mayo Chiki; For some reason, she can't do emotionless without sounding bored. Mosier was cast as Tosahka and that's all I can say about that as I could never hear the character, only her. Molly Searcy continues to entertain me.

Lead Cynthia Martinez was simply miscast; Her performance was fine, her voice was not. I didn't think it was too old, just too raspy.

As for the show itself, I blind bought it to cap off for free shipping {made sense at the time, ok?} because I'm a fan of director Shin Oonuma and not the Fate/Stay franchise. And until I can get a localized copy of C Cubed {0.01% chance by now}, I'm happy with it. Rote magical experience for the male Otaku of a reused franchise; so, yeah, it's what I expected with shiny action and colorful comedy. I'm happy the nature of the franchise kept it to seven McGuffins but irritated than the cards weren't archetypes but rather character specific to just Fate/Stay Night to please the fans, no matter how much sense it made. {"OK, she's spoiler[Archer] but she's not just a basic heroic spirit, she's spoiler[Emiya] as she's using his magic..." another plot point from the franchise that makes me want to slap some sense into writers. But it makes the fans happy...

Fate/Stay Night fans; Ruining their own beloved franchise for over ten years now. Even a simplified reworked version isn't immune to logic flaws.

Yuyushiki, a series I stopped watching because well, one: It's kind of ugly and that's not just physically; Straight Man girl has idiot number one and idiot number two for some reason. It's ok until the idiots start playing off each other. Two: The main part of the show wasn't conversations, it was the "Wiki walk" to start Seinfeldian/Lucky Star tangents and those shows could do that without using a computer so... why?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:48 am Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
hopefully that wont be the case for heaven's feel and the new FSN TV series cause it will definitely need BZ or the cast that did fate zero for both to be successful here.

since those will be going to AoA, and they are in CA, that's a non issue
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:42 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
Yuyushiki, a series I stopped watching because well, one: It's kind of ugly and that's not just physically; Straight Man girl has idiot number one and idiot number two for some reason. It's ok until the idiots start playing off each other. Two: The main part of the show wasn't conversations, it was the "Wiki walk" to start Seinfeldian/Lucky Star tangents and those shows could do that without using a computer so... why?
If you don't like Idiot Y and Idiot Y playing off each other, this definitely isn't the show for you to begin with(without them we'd miss that wonderful tangent about beans), but I don't see why you seem to be of the opinion the Data Processing Club isn't valid; yes, plenty of shows go on and on forever without needing any gimmick to get things going(like most of Yuyushiki), but "look at this cool thing I learned" is certainly a legitimate conversation starter. If nothing else it serves to mix things up and help the show stand out from a sea of similar ones.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3