• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shonen Jump to Launch 4 Manga, Including Detective Story by Psyren's Iwashiro

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PRaysonW

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:02 am Reply with quote
Oh, something by Iwashiro? That could be interesting. I was quite fond of Psyren. I thought it sad that it was forced to rush to its ending while, in my humble opinion, other Jump works (*cough* Bleach) are kept on life support well, well, well beyond their peak. (Well, I say 'sad', but, to be fair, I can't really complain about a Weekly Shōnen Jump manga not overstaying its welcome.)
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:09 am Reply with quote
Survival of the fittest. Best of luck, everyone.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:10 am Reply with quote
Always up for another round of new strips. Kind of hoping the 'dog poop' to 'keeper' ratio is a bit better this time. Preferably something sci-fi or super-natural that isn't anywhere near a High School.
Sir Daniel Fortesque

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:17 am Reply with quote
Mr Adventure wrote:
Always up for another round of new strips. Kind of hoping the 'dog poop' to 'keeper' ratio is a bit better this time. Preferably something sci-fi or super-natural that isn't anywhere near a High School.

Agreed.. Too many school life series are already running in it.
Psi Saiki, AssClass, Haikyuu, Sumo, Ping pong, SexBot, Ace attorney, nisekoi, soma (sorta?), hero academia (also sorta).
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:25 am Reply with quote
Who wanna set-up bets on which of the 4 will be ax... I mean, "concluded" by the end of March? Laughing
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:29 am Reply with quote
Oh man, I really dug Psyren so I'm hoping we get something just as awesome from him this time. Also hoping these series will last longer than Stealth Symphony or Hi-Fi Cluster did. (Both of which I felt were series with real potential to go somewhere when they were axed.)
Nakurawari

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:07 am Reply with quote
A series by Yuki Tabata? I've been waiting for this for ages, I thought Hungry Joker was really good. Hopefully this one lasts
shadowsythe13

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:52 am Reply with quote
I'm just hoping for battle shonen manga come to shonen jump
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
How'd Psyren go? I kind of lost track of it after Viz's print Shonen Jump dropped it.
Can't say I'm all that interested in another detective manga either, but a good manga-ka can make almost any premise interesting.
yanv

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:59 am Reply with quote
The Detective Story one-shot was extremely generic and not particularly interesting. Grasping at straws, Shueisha.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Well when your magazine is aimed at teenagers in japan taking place in a school is kinda expected Laughing Not to say it can't happen of course (One Piece, HxH) but I wouldn't hold my breath. (that and personally I don't really care about setting as much as how entertaining/well written it actually is)

Nice to see that psyren guy get another work out but another mirror manga? I can't remember what I thought about hungry joker but nice to see him get another shot as well. Hopefully something worthwhile will come out, if not then oh well.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
How'd Psyren go? I kind of lost track of it after Viz's print Shonen Jump dropped it.
Can't say I'm all that interested in another detective manga either, but a good manga-ka can make almost any premise interesting.

Took a little while to figure out what its core narrative would be (the survival game bit drops away), then stuck to that pretty solidly, complicated only the fact that traveling back and forth in time tends to complicate any story. Looked like the author was planning for a significantly longer run before he got the notice he'd have to wrap it up - he managed to find a pretty decent stopping point, but a few things still felt rushed (I think he planned to sort of continue the story on the side - perhaps in doujinshi).
BigHeadClan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:56 pm Reply with quote
^^^^
Agreed with above, although I think the ending turned out much better then a lot of other series.

Belzeebub was very entertaining as well, so I look forward to his next work as well.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Hameyadea wrote:
Who wanna set-up bets on which of the 4 will be ax... I mean, "concluded" by the end of March? Laughing

They're all given at least 18 chapters, so none of them will be removed that soon.

SaiyamanMS wrote:
Oh man, I really dug Psyren so I'm hoping we get something just as awesome from him this time. Also hoping these series will last longer than Stealth Symphony or Hi-Fi Cluster did. (Both of which I felt were series with real potential to go somewhere when they were axed.)

Yeah, I liked both of those series too. Barrage also, which became incredibly rushed when Horikoshi clearly meant for it to go on for a while, but his next series has become highly successful, so it's softened the blow.

There was a one-shot of Mirror God, though I forgot what Viz called it. I liked it, so I'm glad it's being promoted to a full series.

Oddly, what stood out to me was that the one-shot's female lead is 20 years old--that is, an adult working a job. I found it a bit refreshing after seeing so many female leads in anime being middle-school or high-school age.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:04 am Reply with quote
That Iwashiro story looks to be a retake on that one shot he did last year. Aaargh! What was it called again?....But either way, i'm going into most of these blind as per ussual but lets hope for some good stories.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1