• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dragon Ball Z Kai Gets an Extra Slot on Adult Swim

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Well look at the bright side, if it does well, they might consider putting other anime on earlier. 8pm is not bad.

LAST week's episode though? Are they skipping the first batch of episode?
VegettoEX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Just in case anyone is confused by it... but/and sorry to totally jump in with an "Umm, actually..."

I know it's easy to just use the key artwork for the (currently-airing-in-Japan) Majin Buu arc here on this news story, and though it's the biggest open secret in the world that FUNimation has it and has been working on it, they haven't actually officially announced that they have it yet, and it's not airing yet in either of these two time slots on Cartoon Network / Toonami.

What makes that distinction important is that, due to there being such a huge break between the end of the Cell arc and the Buu arc, it's actually being given a separate production subtitle internationally ("The Final Chapters"), and even has a longer episode run than what the Japanese broadcast has.

Basically, Kai is a mess Razz.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
Well look at the bright side, if it does well, they might consider putting other anime on earlier. 8pm is not bad.

LAST week's episode though? Are they skipping the first batch of episode?

I wonder if it isn't being treated as something of a test for an earlier anime block. I mean, if the historically most successful anime to air on the network doesn't do very well earlier in the evening, then it would be a decent indication that it isn't worth moving Toonami to an earlier time.

I'm guessing the do intend to skip a few episodes. If they decided to skip over 200 episodes of One Piece, I doubt they would worry much about a handful of episodes here.
Haterater

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:05 pm Reply with quote
@ VegettoEX

Seems like they are milking this in Japan since Toriko "failed" in their eyes. Which I find unfortunate. Really, they should have just reshowed the original saga if they are not going to be true to the purpose of what Kai is supposed to be.

As for the article, I hope this leads somewhere good for the Toonami block or having anime or other action cartoons at having better time slots. If not, still good for Dragon Ball Z Kai to have.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Sit down, Shut up was such a colossal failure that Kai is replacing it two weeks in. That's saying something.
Blatch
Thread Killer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:13 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
Sit down, Shut up was such a colossal failure that Kai is replacing it two weeks in. That's saying something.

Actually, that show first aired on [as] in November and has aired a full run before being pulled.

It did get screwed over on its original FOX run, though: pulled after four episodes, the remaining episodes left to languish in LN weekend slots. Maybe that was for the better.
AbZeroNow

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:19 pm Reply with quote
Don't care for DBZ,but if enough casuals watch it, it would be a great lead-in to doing One Piece from the beginning or maybe put up Fairy Tail on Adult Swim since that would certainly benefit from an earlier time. Of course comedies like The Devil is a Part Timer would benefit from a non-Toonami Adult Swim block since Toonami is an action block and the casuals may be inspired to become real fans when they don't watch dreck like Attack on Titan.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:36 pm Reply with quote
I don't know why they don't just expand Toonami an extra half hour and have TWO new episodes of Kai every week. That way we can get through the material faster.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:43 pm Reply with quote
So this 8pm DBZ technically isn't even part of toonami so I guess I don't have to worry about it too much. I find this strange though that it's so detached from the rest of the block, but I guess DBZ is worth showing earlier to them.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:58 pm Reply with quote
KENZICHI wrote:
So this 8pm DBZ technically isn't even part of toonami so I guess I don't have to worry about it too much. I find this strange though that it's so detached from the rest of the block, but I guess DBZ is worth showing earlier to them.

They did it with DBZ before, but that was on a different day(Sunday) from its Toonami run(Weekday/Saturday).
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
Sigh anther dumb move
ParkerALx

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:07 pm Reply with quote
First rule of Dragon Ball Z Kai:

Almost everything about it, from its Japanese production to its broadcast schedule in North America, is a complete and utter clusterfuck.
rootsofjustice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 6:14 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Sigh anther dumb move

Gonna be honest, I'd take this over more King of the Hill any day of the week. Nothing personal against King of the Hill, but Adult Swim relies on it pretty heavily.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:36 pm Reply with quote
AbZeroNow wrote:
Don't care for DBZ,but if enough casuals watch it, it would be a great lead-in to doing One Piece from the beginning or maybe put up Fairy Tail on Adult Swim since that would certainly benefit from an earlier time. Of course comedies like The Devil is a Part Timer would benefit from a non-Toonami Adult Swim block since Toonami is an action block and the casuals may be inspired to become real fans when they don't watch dreck like Attack on Titan.

What defines a "real fan"?
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:37 pm Reply with quote
rootsofjustice wrote:
firedragon54738 wrote:
Sigh anther dumb move

Gonna be honest, I'd take this over more King of the Hill any day of the week. Nothing personal against King of the Hill, but Adult Swim relies on it pretty heavily.

not as heavily as Family guy though, and that show stopped being funny as soon as it came back on the air
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3