• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Starz Sells Manga Entertainment

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:55 am Reply with quote
I hope this doesn't spell any bad news for the company, Manga distribute the bulk of Anime that comes out in the UK.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:45 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I hope this doesn't spell any bad news for the company, Manga distribute the bulk of Anime that comes out in the UK.

I hade the same thought, if Manga goes then the UK anime industry will suffer quite significantly. Hopefully the buyer sees potential in the companies rather than them being flogged off due to poor performance.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
#Immie93

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:52 am Reply with quote
I agree but the recent startup of Anime Limited or "Alltheanime" is beginning to distribute more anime titles. Recent ones being Patema Inverted, Kill La Kill and Durarara! so hopefully the UK anime industry can be partially supported by them and Anime Limited will continue to grow so if Manga does go under there's another company out there to take over the bulk.
Zemnort

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:01 am Reply with quote
[i]If[/i] Manga UK comes back they had better step up their game and give us better quality releases.
Nilrem

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:16 am Reply with quote
Sort of worrying, but not too much I hope.

It wouldn't surprise me if it's something like Manga was/is profitable, but not profitable enough for Starz, as Manga does have many of the big perennial UK sellers, or it could be something like Starz wanting to get out of physical distribution of some types of content (given they've also sold Anchor Bay).

Fingers crossed that it'll be for the good (I can't imagine a UK anime scene without Manga).
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:29 am Reply with quote
The signs have been there for at while now, with the company feeling like a shell of it's former self for at least 6 months. The public faces of the company seemed to have had an idea what was going on and jumped ship before Christmas (Jermone and Andrew have started up Animatsu, while Jeremy has gone to Anime Limited). The quality of their products have definitely suffered since then, with endless complaints about sloppy encoding, subtitling, scene transitions, etc; not to mention stopping Blu-ray production for disks of some long-running shounen series again (remember how pissed everyone was when the blu-rays of FMA:B were initially stopped after two volumes.

I hope they continue to thrive, but if so, they to step up their game a bit and fix the reoccurring problems. Anime Limited has got the market covered for premium stuff, & MVM for barebones releases. They need to figure out an in-between solution. Without the support of a large company, there's a good chance they'll devolve into just resort to churning out pre-existing long-running shounen franchises. We'll see I guess.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:12 pm Reply with quote
#Immie93 wrote:
I agree but the recent startup of Anime Limited or "Alltheanime" is beginning to distribute more anime titles. Recent ones being Patema Inverted, Kill La Kill and Durarara! so hopefully the UK anime industry can be partially supported by them and Anime Limited will continue to grow so if Manga does go under there's another company out there to take over the bulk.

Anime limited picks up some main titles, but they have a very slow releases, with a lot of delays, often with collectors editions. Manga UK is more like a factory, Getting as many titles out as fast as they can, and even then a lot get left out, which MVM picks up. I doubt they could do that unless they changed their business model, which would mean less collectors editions, or none at all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1