• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sonic Boom: Fire & Ice 3DS Game Announced

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Amara Tenoh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:31 am Reply with quote
Exciting announcement!
ZanraiKid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
Let the Game of Thrones jokes begin.
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
so I thought Sega was going to do IOS games only now.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:55 am Reply with quote
I honestly hope Fire & Ice fares way better than the preceding installments of Sonic Boom because, if the Likes-Dislikes ratio on the YouTube video is anything to go by, most people are still reeling from how terribly Rise of Lyric performed.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 11:59 am Reply with quote
Brace yourselves -

A follow up to what many consider the worst Sonic game ever is coming.
Sakura Stardust

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Oh SEGA, when will you ever learn? Rolling Eyes Make something your fans actually want to see, or you'll keep loosing the faith of the people putting risk into these games. Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric is among the experiences I wish to forget completely Shocked This is not a risk I'm taking again... >_>
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Sad

C'mon Sega, we're all waiting for the next Sonic Adventure game for PS4. No one wants another Boom game after how bad the last one was.
Animechic420

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:38 pm Reply with quote
A new Sega system would make better news then this.

Ohh Sega, we need you....WE NEED YOU TO COME BACK! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 12:45 pm Reply with quote
Depressing as it is to see the blue hedgehog seemingly tossed into gaming hell again, I like how the image of this article on the home page is the main group looking confused like "What? We're doing this shyt again?"
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:

They're moving towards that, but as evidenced with stuff like Mario & Sonic 2016 Rio, Sonic will definitely be staying on traditional consoles because he's very recognizable. I would assume the Total War and Football Manager franchises will stay where they are too because they sell very well.

Sakura Stardust wrote:
Oh SEGA, when will you ever learn? Rolling Eyes Make something your fans actually want to see, or you'll keep loosing the faith of the people putting risk into these games. Sonic Boom Rise of Lyric is among the experiences I wish to forget completely Shocked This is not a risk I'm taking again... >_>

That's the problem: There is absolutely no agreement whatsoever on what Sonic fans want out of their Sonic games besides having Sonic in it. This is a fanbase where, in regards to Sonic Unleashed for the 360/PS3, some people complained the day stages didn't have enough platforming, and some people complained the day stages had too much platforming.

Some want blisteringly fast, boost-based gameplay. Some want slower, momentum-based gameplay. Some want 3-D platforming. Some want 2-D platforming. Some want to keep the humorous stories and plots that they currently have. Some want Sonic to return to the more serious, more complicated Adventure-type stories. Some like Roger Craig Smith voicing Sonic as he is now. Some want Jason Griffith back. Some want Ryan Drummond back. Some want Jaleel White to voice Sonic in the video games. Some want more playable characters. Some are unhappy unless only Sonic is playable. Some want more characters, playable or not. Some want characters removed from the series. Some want a soundtrack full of pumping rock. Some want a soundtrack with a variety of genres. Some want a soundtrack with peppy tunes in the same style as the 16-bit games. Some want Sonic games released on every current system. Some want Sonic games to be kept away from Nintendo systems. (This includes Smash Bros.) Some want Sonic games only on the system(s) they own. Some want Sonic to move to mobile. Some want to stop Sonic from moving to mobile. Some want SEGA to return to making their own systems and put Sonic only on those. Some even call for Nintendo's destruction as retribution for still being around whereas SEGA went 3rd party and got bought up by Sammy. Some want Chaos Emeralds in Special Stages as an optional feature and/or to get the true ending. Some want Chaos Emeralds to just be part of the story. Some do not want Chaos Emeralds in the story at all. Some want Super Sonic to be playable anywhere once certain conditions are fulfilled (usually getting all of the Emeralds). Some want Super Sonic to be playable only in the final boss battles. Some want more spinoff games. Some want fewer spinoff games. Some just don't care and don't play them. Some like Sonic's carefree personality. Some want Sonic to be more angsty and mopey (which Shadow already fulfills, but we've seen much less Shadow lately). Some want Sonic to be purposefully corny and stuck in the 90's. And finally, some Sonic fans want SEGA to just pull the plug on the franchise and stop releasing Sonic games, period.

Personally, I think SEGA should take a page from Nintendo's book and just shut themselves off from the fans and make whatever they feel like making. Trying to bend over backwards to please these fans only gets them angrier each time.

malvarez1 wrote:
Sad

C'mon Sega, we're all waiting for the next Sonic Adventure game for PS4. No one wants another Boom game after how bad the last one was.

We already got one in Sonic Unleashed. It was called Sonic World Adventure in Japan. Sonic Generations also dedicated one-third of itself to that era. Also, why PS4 specifically and no other system? As I don't have a PS4, I'm certainly not part of that "all."

Sonic Boom, the TV show, has been pulling in about one million viewers per new episode though. A second season is also in the works. So that part of the franchise has at least that to fall back on.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Sonic Drake returns. Why? Forced against his will.
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:15 pm Reply with quote
when good games sell bad,they don't give them another chance,when a TERRIBLE Sonic game is the worst selling Sonic game ever,they do give it another chance.We certainly live in an unfair world.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:40 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:

Not entirely, Sega is indeed downsizing operations in the US but Sega of Japan is still doing well. They have Tembo the Badass Elephant with GameFreak coming out soon which should be a full console game.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
That's the problem: There is absolutely no agreement whatsoever on what Sonic fans want out of their Sonic games besides having Sonic in it.

Essentially this. The "Sonic fans" (it's difficult to even label them fans) are an incredibly scatterbrained gaggle of individuals who cannot agree on anything in the least. They're like a disorganized country with at least fifty different political leaders advocating their version of Sonic to be "the only true Sonic".

Quote:
Sonic Boom, the TV show, has been pulling in about one million viewers per new episode though. A second season is also in the works. So that part of the franchise has at least that to fall back on.

Yup. The TV show seems to be the one saving grace Sonic's had in so many years. I can attest to it as the episodes are entertaining and good for cracking a smile every Saturday morning, just like the good old days.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Keep in mind, the previous Sonic Boom title on 3DS, Shattered Crystal, wasn't steaming garbage like it's HD counterpart.

Also keep in mind the animated show these Sonic Boom games are actually tied into is actually pretty solid.

So don't write this game off just because of the reputation Rise of Lyric got.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3