• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Castle in the Sky Robot Makes Cameo in Avengers: Age of Ultron

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheTsunami

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I did notice that back when I saw the movie. Kind of surprising that it wasn't picked up on here until a month-plus later.
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Well, I love Laputa, but I brought this up once before, and that robot originally showed up in one of the Fleischer Superman cartoons. And Miyazaki was a fan, which is why he 'recycled' the bots for his stuff. So it's kind of weird imagining that they gotta ask Ghibli's permission for that one. But, anyway, now what Whedon's copped to being a Ghibli fan, when's he going to finally admit that Sailor Moon and Devil Hunter Yoko inspired Buffy? Oh, and that Firefly and Serenity are basically the live-action Bebop and Outlaw Star. Wink
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, it is only a arm. They could have made the distinction more noticeable. Why have a partial cameo, if no one is able to figure it out, or to even know that there is something to figure out.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Some people did notice it, if the first post in this thread is to be believed.

It wouldn't be a very good in-joke if they made it too obvious. It would be like the Robot Chicken version of Sean Connery spelling it out for you that you're watching a parody of Highlander.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
why even bother if nobody will notice it? also, avengers 2 was a piece of hot garbage and did not earn the right to be associated with ghibli in any way, shape or form. thankfully for the marvel director, lasseter was able to pull some strings and make this fly. miyazaki obliged out of respect for his friend, not because he respects classical disney and the hollywood machine. though, he may enjoy pixar movies, who's to say. at any rate, from what i know about miyazaki, he rarely watches any films or media in general, so i doubt he is a fan of superhero films haha.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Well, it is only a arm. They could have made the distinction more noticeable. Why have a partial cameo, if no one is able to figure it out, or to even know that there is something to figure out.

Yeah, they should have nudged a little more of it on the screen.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Studio Ghibli has many admirers in the film and animation community, and references to his works can sometimes be spotted.

Um.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

I just thought it was a...y'know...sculpture-thingy in Tony's bachelor pad. Confused

I mean, it's not like Miyazaki homaging the flying Fleischer-Superman robots in that Lupin III episode.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Xristophoros wrote:
why even bother if nobody will notice it? also, avengers 2 was a piece of hot garbage and did not earn the right to be associated with ghibli in any way, shape or form. thankfully for the marvel director, lasseter was able to pull some strings and make this fly. miyazaki obliged out of respect for his friend, not because he respects classical disney and the hollywood machine. though, he may enjoy pixar movies, who's to say. at any rate, from what i know about miyazaki, he rarely watches any films or media in general, so i doubt he is a fan of superhero films haha.

Age of Ultron was terrible but I don't know why it's necessary to say Ghibli shouldn't be associated with it. Honestly anything that Ghibli is tied to, in any way, especially if it is extremely mainsteam, is welcome in my book.
nhat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:25 pm Reply with quote
It's just an arm.... can be of any random robot
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
Age of Ultron was terrible but I don't know why it's necessary to say Ghibli shouldn't be associated with it.

I didn't think Age of Ultron was "terrible" (it would have been, if they'd kept that whole self-indulgently messy plot about Thor's visions--Yikes, never let a director do his own smash sequel Shocked ), simply for the fact that James Spader WAS Ultron...

Until that end credits scene where they had to stick in spoiler[Thanos and the Gauntlet], and that's when that sudden nagging Thor 2 realization sank in:
"Wait a minute...This didn't have ANYTHING to do with Phase 3! Just some two-line setups for CA3: Civil War, and I could've waited for that! What the heck did we just sit through two and a half hours for, anyway?? Confused "
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
Age of Ultron was terrible but I don't know why it's necessary to say Ghibli shouldn't be associated with it. Honestly anything that Ghibli is tied to, in any way, especially if it is extremely mainsteam, is welcome in my book.

i couldn't disagree with you more. why would you want great art to be associated with something mediocre? ghibli properties deserve to be preserved and represented in the best way possible... the totoro reference in toy story 3 was cool and felt like it belonged. it made sense. the reference in avengers just feels out of place and stupid to be perfectly honest. would you be content seeing a ghibli references in transformers, pirates of the caribbean and hunger games as well? where would you draw the line? there is a reason why nintendo is so protective of their franchises. they don't want their image to be tarnished or misrepresented.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:09 pm Reply with quote
More appearances in mainstream mediocrity means more people taking notice and watching Ghibli's stuff.

I myself only watched Ghibli's stuff when I searched the IMDB top 250 movies and watched all Miyazaki films, turning me into a hardcore animation and manga fan I am today. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:10 pm Reply with quote
Xristophoros wrote:
Lostlorn Forest wrote:

i couldn't disagree with you more. why would you want great art to be associated with something mediocre? ghibli properties deserve to be preserved and represented in the best way possible... the totoro reference in toy story 3 was cool and felt like it belonged. it made sense. the reference in avengers just feels out of place and stupid to be perfectly honest. would you be content seeing a ghibli references in transformers, pirates of the caribbean and hunger games as well? where would you draw the line? there is a reason why nintendo is so protective of their franchises. they don't want their image to be tarnished or misrepresented.

I want great art to be associated with something mediocre because the more it's exposed the more peoples' lives it will touch. I just wonder how many people will discover Ghibli because it had a cameo in the movie, or at least, the more Ghibli will be familiarized in American culture because it's been associated with Disney and Marvel, two of the biggest entertainment companies in the world. I know Ghibli is already huge, but introducing it further into American culture shines light on great art.

What would it even tarnish? Other than by angry nerdy critics on the internet, anything Marvel is still considered superior to anything else that would hit the theater by a long shot in the minds of the general public. Yes I'd want it in Hunger Games or Star Wars or this or that (just an example, I would never want that), because how I see it, more exposure = more people familiarize with it = more people discover it.

So by your logic you're willing to let subjective feelings prevent exposure into different territories? The only thing that can be tarnished would be if the creators signed major deals or something like that. I fail to see any instances in which a franchise is "tarnished" for being brought to light in another territory.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:24 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
Age of Ultron was terrible but I don't know why it's necessary to say Ghibli shouldn't be associated with it.

I didn't think Age of Ultron was "terrible" (it would have been, if they'd kept that whole self-indulgently messy plot about Thor's visions--Yikes, never let a director do his own smash sequel Shocked ), simply for the fact that James Spader WAS Ultron...

Until that end credits scene where they had to stick in spoiler[Thanos and the Gauntlet], and that's when that sudden nagging Thor 2 realization sank in:
"Wait a minute...This didn't have ANYTHING to do with Phase 3! Just some two-line setups for CA3: Civil War, and I could've waited for that! What the heck did we just sit through two and a half hours for, anyway?? Confused "

"Messy" is the perfect word for this movie, if "terrible" doesn't suit your tastes.

Ultron in the trailers was what I expected out of him, and yeah his voice sounds like thick chocolate over ice cream, but he was downsized into a Craig Ferguson figure rather than a bad-ass. He was also extremely underpowered what with The Vision walking around everywhere. Too many plot holes as well (or at least that's what it looked like to me - I had a headache as a result of everything happening so it might just have been my own confusion).

Exactly. The movie could have just ended where it began, it was that bad. I also think Thanos will be turned into a joke as Ultron was, but now that the Russos are taking over, I have faith, especially after The Winter Soldier.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2