• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Don't You Forget About Me

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Yay, my shelves were featured Anime hyper And hopefully I can add One Week Friends to them soon, haha.
zensunni

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Bravo on not only the review of One Week Friends, but the fantastic Breakfast Club reference in the article title. I found it is surprisingly fitting, considering that it was one of the most emotionally resonant, slice of life films from my youth...

As for the review: spot on! Gabriella summed up the series well and I pretty much agree with it in an unreserved manner. I need to add this title to my shelves, if only I weren't busy getting one kid sent off to college and the other sent to boarding school for geeks (The Illinois Mathematics and Science Academy. Maybe she will meet someone there who is learning Japanese and wants to practice by translating a few select light novels for her friend's father?), which is a considerable drain... sigh...

Not really familiar with Nobunagun, so...

(Nice shelves!)
Polycell

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:03 pm Reply with quote
That makes, what, three reviews for Nobunagun's Funi release? Has everybody had a turn now or are there a few more coming down the pipe? Laughing
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:52 pm Reply with quote
What, isn't Nobunagun shelfworthy based on Sio's maniacal grins alone? Wow, tough audience. Yeah, the alien species spoiler[may have a hive mind learning ability] but they never learned that once you see those shiny teeth, better start running.

But I've talked about how much I enjoy this series before- dubbed, good, bought it- so that leaves One Week Friends. I liked it well enough but it never stuck that much in my memory. Plus, the show, much like its art style, is very white washed or wishy washy or some combination of whites and wishes and wants that comes off as a show of good intentions rather than honest feelings. I would have recommended using color intensity myself rather than taking shoujo's dependance on watercolors and breaking it.

It doesn't help me that her condition wasn't as serious or as interesting as Chiyo's from Ef a Tale of Memories and that was a side plot there. On the other hand, I could listen to Saki everyday, all day. When she's not on, you may as well skip it.

Come to think of it, there was one thing that always bugged me: What did the main character want out of her? He wanted to be friends with the toughest type of person to relate with on the planet -suffers from maincharacteritis- but when she had more things in mind, he... backed off? "I like you as a challenge but spoiler[I'm not going to date you.]"

Or am I thinking of a different show? He really was an unlikable character and I think I found him hard to relate to. Maybe. I could be thinking of someone else.
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Surprisingly, One Week Friends managed to be a good show, even if the twist was super contrived and straight out of B-grade plot garden. I had a really bad feeling initially, but the show largely managed to write itself around that millstone around its neck. For that it deserves an applause.
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:01 pm Reply with quote
WashuTakahashi wrote:
Yay, my shelves were featured Anime hyper.

It warmed my fujoshi heart to see that you too are a fan of Ren-sama from UtaPri. I have the same figure as you (though the base of mine is signed by Ren's seiyuu, Junichi Suwabe).

But good advice on collecting. My advice to you is to never get into collecting signed items, like sketches and stuff, from Japanese guests. That's where the real expense lies.
katscradle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I think I may check out One Week Friends now. Sounds really nice!

Out of the list I'm looking forward to my copy of the Sailor Moon R Part 1 box since the second season has the first episode of Sailor Moon I ever saw.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Gotta buy One Week Friends. Seeing that Sentai's release has the diary shorts, probably means Madman will have them when the time comes. If, for some reason they don't, I'll get Sentai's release. I want to see those shorts.

As for Nobunagun, sad to see it only as a rental. Though, I can totally understand why it is. Guess that it just really depends on whether or not you'd like a 2nd helping of the show, and I do. Which is why it's on my shelf! Laughing
Yuki Imouto

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:21 am Reply with quote
One week Friends: I have it already. I can't wait for the Gochiusa release and watch it every Easter with all the glory! (Mouth waters)
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:54 am Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
WashuTakahashi wrote:
Yay, my shelves were featured Anime hyper.

It warmed my fujoshi heart to see that you too are a fan of Ren-sama from UtaPri. I have the same figure as you (though the base of mine is signed by Ren's seiyuu, Junichi Suwabe).

But good advice on collecting. My advice to you is to never get into collecting signed items, like sketches and stuff, from Japanese guests. That's where the real expense lies.

Ren is one of many otome husbands haha. I'm so jealous yours is signed! I'd kill to meet Suwabe, Miyano, or KENN...give me all of my otome husbands! Anime cry

Getting things signed is an extremely slippery slope lol. I'm sure I easily have over 100 things signed (maybe even 200...the vast majority being English VAs) and spend a good chunk of my time at anime conventions waiting in autograph lines xD I know I have Loups=Garous signed by all 4 members of SCANDAL, Fruits Basket and Kamisama Kiss anime signed by the director Akitaro Diachi, and a random drawing/signature from Nabeshin. I think that's all I have on the Japanese front so far, but I'm sure that number will increase in time xD
Ortensia1980

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting both Nobunagun and One Week Friends. I loved those shows.

And I spy a Souji Okita figure on those shelves! How does that one look by the way? Because the pictures that I've seen of it look awful so I've always been reluctant to get it myself.
TsunaReborn!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:14 pm Reply with quote
One Week Friends is one of my first anime series instabuys in a long time; Nagi is as well but it's still on pre-order. I adored OWF and definitely should be on everyone's shelf; for me it is one of the hardest hitting slice of life series I have watched.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Ortensia1980 wrote:
And I spy a Souji Okita figure on those shelves! How does that one look by the way? Because the pictures that I've seen of it look awful so I've always been reluctant to get it myself.

I'm not an expert on figures or anything (only have like 6 of the bigger ones), but I really like it! The expression is a little bit derpy, but I can ignore that since I've seen worse. The stance is good, and the quality and colors seem good to me. Sorry I can't say much more on it, haha.
dxthegreat

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:20 am Reply with quote
do fictional characters count as historical figures?
Touma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 7:58 am Reply with quote
dxthegreat wrote:
do fictional characters count as historical figures?

No, historical figures must be real. Although they could be "real" in a fictional world. It can get a bit tricky, but in our own world fictional characters cannot be historical figures.
Are you talking about one of the historical figures in Nobunagun?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2