• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
DeNA Confirms MyAnimeList Buyout

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:04 pm Reply with quote
And there you have it. The signs were noticeable.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
this is news to me

i hope i can still use the site for anime information

the way they link the series.. it's easy to tell just from the link..

they don't assigned some number to a series like ann

easier to link (link+ name in 1 link)
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:16 pm Reply with quote
They've also removed the fansub rating sections from the two anime they are streaming now. I know how people feel about fansubs, but it was really useful for people that live in places where shows are still not streaming legally, and for the few shows that don't get streamed. If they just keep it to shows they are streaming, it should be fine but there's already a lot of backlash. I don't personally see an issue as long as it's just for shows they are streaming world-wide.
pcj

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Maybe this means we'll get a working official mobile client for MAL now instead of just the third-party ones that all depend on hacks or proxies.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
They've also removed the fansub rating sections from the two anime they are streaming now. I know how people feel about fansubs, but it was really useful for people that live in places where shows are still not streaming legally, and for the few shows that don't get streamed. If they just keep it to shows they are streaming, it should be fine but there's already a lot of backlash. I don't personally see an issue as long as it's just for shows they are streaming world-wide.

{From Rule #2 of "Teh Rules":
Quote:
We are not an IM chatroom; we expect proper grammar, spelling, and punctuation.
~nobahn}
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:40 pm Reply with quote
So now one can watch the anime then rate it all in one go
ostiniatoze

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:42 pm Reply with quote
I wonder will this affect the automatic updaters available for that site.
mistress_kisara

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Here's to hoping it won't be US restricted... Confused
ostiniatoze

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
mistress_kisara wrote:
Here's to hoping it won't be US restricted... Confused

Just looking through this topic http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1406381&show=300 and some people are saying it's not available in their region.

Also flash player 480, they said they'd improve it so let's see how it goes.

Last edited by ostiniatoze on Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:35 pm; edited 2 times in total
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:

Well there's always AniDB if that happens
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
The good times are (probably) over.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I see this deal between MyAnimeList and DeNA being beneficial to people that want to watch their shows earlier. However, I'm curious as to how this will affect the fan-sub community.
GuruBuckaroo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:11 pm Reply with quote
The fansub ratings were nice, but linking to the websites is questionable for a company that wants to "go legit", so I'm not surprised.

My biggest beef with MAL (aside from no integration with FB/mobile/whatever) is the refusal to list places to legally watch. I'm all for fansubs, and may or may not have a drive full of them myself, but I pay for Crunchyroll for a reason - to support the creators. I'm even considering the cheap sub-only Funimation membership to expand what I can stream.

I've always preferred MAL's DB format to ANN's as far as info. It's not as detailed, but the ability to track what you've seen is invaluable. I wish you could specify whether they displayed the titles in Romanji or English, though.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:20 pm Reply with quote
GuruBuckaroo wrote:
My biggest beef with MAL (aside from no integration with FB/mobile/whatever) is the refusal to list places to legally watch. I'm all for fansubs, and may or may not have a drive full of them myself, but I pay for Crunchyroll for a reason - to support the creators. I'm even considering the cheap sub-only Funimation membership to expand what I can stream.

The site is always improving and adding features. Just recently, a schedule of the air times of the airing animes was added, and in the announcement they explained that this feature will be expanded. Give it time.

GuruBuckaroo wrote:
I've always preferred MAL's DB format to ANN's as far as info. It's not as detailed, but the ability to track what you've seen is invaluable. I wish you could specify whether they displayed the titles in Romanji or English, though.

I agree. In overall feeling, MAL's UI is more user-friendly than ANN's, and MAL's search response times are quicker.
Sarukah

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:23 pm Reply with quote
GuruBuckaroo wrote:
My biggest beef with MAL (aside from no integration with FB/mobile/whatever) is the refusal to list places to legally watch.

As of late (not sure, maybe over the past year or maybe more?), all you have to do is Main anime page>News tab or scroll to News section and they've been regularly updating a "Simulcast" thread for each season. Bam.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4