• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Himo Zairu Manga Goes on Hiatus Due to Online Criticism

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:22 pm Reply with quote
How silly. I guess some people can't handle the truth even when its used in a fictional setting in manga.

There was nothing she had to apologize for. If the people didn't like the concept of the manga, no one was forcing them to read it.
maoyen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:23 pm Reply with quote
So if i'm getting the gist of it, the manga is being pulled because people online complained that it portrayed women in a stronger role than men. That just wonderful Rolling Eyes
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this really drives home the latest Answerman's central points about how different media criticism can be in Japan.
Araki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Let's not be hypocrites. Same people calling this "silly" would be calling "sexism!!" if it was the other way around.
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
Let's not be hypocrites. Same people calling this "silly" would be calling "sexism!!" if it was the other way around.

Probably because turning it the other way around makes it look totally different in the context of society? This manga goes against the grain of gender norms, ergo, it's different than something that lifts up and supports gender norms. Men and women are in different places in society, and thus switching genders around changes something's cultural meaning. That's an obvious fact understood by anyone who understands storytelling - that it relates to the culture it is told in.

Now, Japan in particular is much more rigid in its gender roles than America, so this kind of work is especially progressive over there, despite honestly having quite a tame and carefree premise. I fear the reaction these Japanese conservatives would have to anything that directly challenges the quo.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Araki wrote:

Seriously must there be a "but if this were women you'd call it sexism/but if this were men you wouldn't call it sexism" in every single conversation pertaining some sort of gender-related conflict?

Also, the real hipocrisy is that no one complained when her previous manga, Kuragehime*, was based on making fun of female otaku, but everyone's suddenly up in arms when she tackles a social phenomenon about men.

*I'm not saying people should be offended about Kuragehime or call it sexist, because it's not. It's a fantastic series, but I'd bet the way she tackles this himo subject is as inoffensive as that one, but because it's challenging gender norms and putting some men in a negative light, it's getting all the heat.
Dfens

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Typical of Japan the slightest thing can or may offend someone so we have to censor it or plain old just get rid of it.

Well can't complain tomuch we do that in America too with all the PC BS we have over here.

I see it that the people who complained where mad that it made women look bad by being gullible and allowing a man to take advantage of them. But if a woman does it to a man then well it's ok and no one makes a fuss about it.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Even manga isn't safe from people I disagree with politically now.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:55 pm Reply with quote
The only group that should be potentially offended would be someone who is part of said Himo group, if you aren't part of such a group what does it matter if there is yet another cultural minority that isn't living up to the standards of the masses.

Maybe there is "something wrong" with adult men desiring to be little more than Male Wives for there more prosperous girl friends, but some people simply aren't ambitious or don't fit in well enough with modern society, ignoring there existence doesn't "make them go away" and I doubt young male readers are going to feel that "yeah that is the life I certainly want to live" and suddenly you have a flood of NEETS and Himos just because of one Manga publication.
jirg1901

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:59 pm Reply with quote
I came here to read comments made by people who hadn't read the manga but apparently know exactly how it portrays unemployed men. I was not disappointed.
harminia

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:08 am Reply with quote
It's derogatory to teach people how to be proper members of society rather than leeches now?

Well, okay.

Last edited by harminia on Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:09 am; edited 1 time in total
VanGosroth

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:09 am Reply with quote
So much stupidity surrounding this non issue. Don't like it don't read it. It's fiction. Get back to me when this impacts real life issues.
Aethix

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:09 am Reply with quote
Araki wrote:

Not everyone. Some, certainly, but not all. The truth is, this Anita Sarkeesian-style BS is stupid no matter which foot the shoe is on.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:30 am Reply with quote
So I take it that Himo Zairu is pretty much in the same situation that MRL Nanoha Force is currently in, being stopped cold due to negative reception?

What's even more interesting concerning this is that this has been brought up not too long after there was an Answerman article covering whether anime studios take heed of reviews.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:45 am Reply with quote
This is just stupid! The manga is about male characters who are depended/supported by female characters. What the's issue here? Are people really claiming that this looks down on men? Really? I haven't read the manga, so I don't know if the content, context, or narrative are problematic, but the synopsis sounds quite innocent.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4