• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Accel World Novel 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:46 pm Reply with quote
So can I jump into this novel from just watching the anime?
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
So can I jump into this novel from just watching the anime?

Yep, novel 4 pretty much ends exactly where the anime does and this one follows right after.
Utsuro no Hako

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:01 pm Reply with quote
I came across an interview with the guy who's translating SAO that's pretty enlightening. In particular:

Quote:
I have been working with Yen Press manga since shortly after they started up, and I do a hefty amount of their manga schedule — usually two volumes of manga a month. So when they made the move into publishing more light novels, they turned to me. While there was a learning process for working on prose novels, I got used to the different style eventually and now I handle lots of light novel work as well....

The first year or so of translating LNs was especially difficult because I was still picking up the idiosyncrasies of the writing and absorbing what certain prose phrases approximate to in English in a functional sense, rather than their literal meanings. So there are a number of little things in the first few novels I did that I would do differently now. This process of learning through experience is exactly the same as what I went through when first working on manga, and is entirely related to absorbing the particular stylistic details of the writing, so while it was difficult at first, and I often felt frustrated not being sure how to handle certain creative choices, I’ve grown much more comfortable and firm in my particular way of translating.

http://englishlightnovels.com/2015/11/12/interview-with-ln-translator-stephen-paul/

Assuming the AW translator is in a similar boat, that explains why the writing is getting better as the series goes on, though it also points to some limitations in the process if all the translators are juggling that much work.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Assuming the AW translator is in a similar boat, that explains why the writing is getting better as the series goes on, though it also points to some limitations in the process if all the translators are juggling that much work.

That may be some of it, but I think what the review was reallying talking about was Kawahara's writing. And I have to agree. He still has issues with plot on the SAO front at least with Kirito just constantly going to a new place and being super OP, but in general he has improved significantly at pretty much everything else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1