• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 1st Kizumonogatari Film to Open in US Theaters

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:17 pm Reply with quote
So hyped to see this. Good to know that they are coming to the West as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Yadilie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
C'mon Orlando. Be Japanese dub and be in the Waterford theater so I can watch it before a work shift.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
A sub only Anime is getting a release in theatres, well that is a surprise. usually at most you get screenings at special events.
7jaws7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Sweet! Very Happy

I'll read the novel and hopefully get to see how it compares to the movie.

*crosses fingers for Buffalo*

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I guess the chances of a Canadian screening are pretty low...
Knight-Hart

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Man, I really hope this gets to Canada! I'd love to see a Shaft movie like this on the big screen.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:37 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
A sub only Anime is getting a release in theatres, well that is a surprise. usually at most you get screenings at special events.

This has become more and more common. Particularly if the show is from Viz or Aniplex of America. The last few Naruto movies have all had limited screenings. Aniplex of America has released Expelled from Paradise, the Madoka movies, the Anohana movie and Anthem of the Heart for limited screennings. Funimation did the 2 new Dragonball movies, the new Ghost in the Shell movie and will release the Psycho-Pass movie. And NIS America released the Love Live movie. Personally I saw Naruto the Last, Boruto, the Love Live movie and Dragonball Z: Resurrection F in a theater here in New Jersey.

All or most of these were limited screenings that only lasted 1-3 weeks, but I expect Kizumonogatari to get the same treatment.

Now this means I have a lot of catching up to do so I'm ready to see this in theaters. I've still only seen Bake, Nise, and Neko Black/White.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Yadilie wrote:
C'mon Orlando. Be Japanese dub and be in the Waterford theater so I can watch it before a work shift.

It's 100% guaranteed to be sub-only, even on the eventual home video release. Aniplex has never dubbed anything from the Monogatari series.

MarshalBanana wrote:

Sub-only theatrical releases have become increasingly common as of late, as companies try to do limited screenings of anime films in the West ASAP after they premiere in Japan. The recent Naruto films, for instance, were sub-only screenings since they happened within 1-3 months of the Japanese release. The dub just wasn't done yet.

Of all the theatrical anime releases I can recall in the last year or two, I think only the DBZ movies were actually dubbed. I could be forgetting something though.
bahamut623

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:44 pm Reply with quote
Yes!!! I was doubtful this would happen but I'm so glad it is!!!!
My monogatari viewing experience usually involves a lot of pausing and rewinding for all the quick text flashes so it'll be interesting watching this in a theater where I can't control it.
chito895

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:00 pm Reply with quote
Welp, time to pack my stuff and buy a ticket.
Kreion

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:

Yeah sure, the west - despite the fact that most countries still don't get any form of anime releases in cinema...the west is not USA thank you very much.

In fact the more I am not capable of seeing the series which I want to see the more I want to torrent them and bypass any form of payment if they don't give me the option to.
Alittan

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Kreion wrote:
Stark700 wrote:

Yeah sure, the west - despite the fact that most countries still don't get any form of anime releases in cinema...the west is not USA thank you very much.

In fact the more I am not capable of seeing the series which I want to see the more I want to torrent them and bypass any form of payment if they don't give me the option to.

This ^. Europe is as far as I know also 'The West' but I've yet to ever see an anime release in cinema here.

Oh well. Any idea when it'll be out on bluray so we can watch it subbed? I remember the Psycho Pass movie taking about half a year :s
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. I wonder how many theaters it will be shown in, and which ones. I'll try to see it if I can, but I never know where these movies are playing.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Looks like this opens in theaters the same day as Ghibli's Only Yesterday.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
Now this means I have a lot of catching up to do so I'm ready to see this in theaters. I've still only seen Bake, Nise, and Neko Black/White.

Since the novel it's based on was only the second title released (after the two volumes of Bakemonogatari) and it takes place chronologically before Neko Black and Bake, I assume you won't need to do any catching up to be ready.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2