• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Yo, Yoshiura!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Somewhere in there Yoshiura also made the very short Aquatic Language, which is another delightful work by him, again with at least one twist. He recycled the "stage set" for the cafe in Time of Eve. You can watch it on Crunchyroll!

Look for it as Mizu no Kotoba. Crunchyroll has both the sub and the dub.

It's full (maybe overfull) of the camera work Mike talks about in his article. Also, a mention of Asimov's laws, and a fascination with the uses of language.
Jafwasw

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:23 pm Reply with quote
you forgot to mention his anime Mirai short, a beautiful done in one gem called Harmonie.

One of the things that always impresses me about Yoshiura is how good he is at depicting the Human condition, the fact he had a background in amateur theatre while in university seems to have helped
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Ooh, yes, I really liked Harmonie. It made me want see more (lots more), but the pacing itself was spot-on that I didn't mind it being so short.
Venus_Angel9

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Also Kikumana, a 6 minute music video, very interesting. I felt it was a bit creepy too but that may vary on your own interpretation. (Creepy is good for me BTW, not criticizing), I once made it a point to watch everything Yoshiura has ever made.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Yoshiura and Yuasa are my current favorite anime directors, so I'm thrilled to hear that Yoshiura has a new short. I had no idea he was involved in an Animator Expo short.

I personally don't think that Time of Eve's "villain" was poorly implemented. However, the villain in Patema Inverted was very, very poorly implemented and nearly brought the entire film to a halt practically any time he was on screen. So I could agree that Yoshiura has difficulty with antagonists.

I'll echo praise for the short Harmonie which did not get a mention in this article. It's definitely worth a watch as well.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:55 pm Reply with quote
It's been maybe a couple years since I've seen the Time of Eve ONA, but as one who doesn't find himself typically intrigued by stories that explore the blurred lines between humans and robots, I remember really liking it. Does the movie add much in the way of new content, besides surely-improved animation? Don't know if whatever answer I'd get would be enough to spur me into making a last-minute purchase of it during the Right Stuf sale, but I'd probably keep it in mind for any future decisions to revisit it.

By the way, though I can't recall what actually happened at the end, I remember the sense that the ending left a lot room for a sequel. Should my recollection be accurate, could there still be one? Or does the film close up whatever loose ends there originally may have been?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Yoshiura has stated quite a few times that there is more to tell in the world of Time of Eve and he'd like to get back to it sometime.

As for movie vs ONA, there's not much difference. Maybe a few minutes of new animation created to bridge the separate episodes into one more-or-less flowing piece. There's also the ending theme which tells more of Nagi's backstory through the use of still pictures.

I'd say that the movie warrants a watch even for those who have seen the ONA, but whether or not it's worth spending money on is up to them.
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Thanks to all of you who brought up Harmonie. I hadn't been aware of that film, but was able to track it down after reading about it here. A lovely, sweet little film --- Yoshiura does Shinkai.

(I noticed that the main character has a Patema Inverted poster on his wall.)
CaRoss

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 10:51 pm Reply with quote
You get so many points from me for that "glowing" recommendation of Will Smith's I Robot film. Love that movie (well aware not everyone does) and it definitely would have been better to have a different name for it.

Anyway, onto the topic at hand: this discussion on Yoshiura's works reminded me that I really should sit down and watch Time of Eve (it's been sitting in my Crunchyroll queue since I signed up for the site a few years ago) and actively hunt down and acquire a copy of Patema Inverted. His stories sound like they'd be right up my alley. So thanks for introducing me to the fact that they're actually both by the same person. This was overall an interesting read.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:03 pm Reply with quote
I loved Pale Cocoon and Patema, but couldn't stand Time of Eve, which is weird because the latter seems to be everyone else's undisputed favorite of Yoshiura's works. It had the unpleasant awkward aura of The Office combined with, ironically, inorganic deliberateness (I half-expected the big twist to be that everyone is a robot, and was sort of disappointed when it wasn't). And don't even get me started about the soundtrack...

The best thing about Patema is how well the inverting works as a metaphor for perspective, power, and probably several other things I'm not thinking of. spoiler[Age doesn't really understand Patema, or vice versa, until they end up on the "ceiling" of the world, and suddenly he's the one who could easily fall into the sky and can't get anywhere without her help. And the loony bad guy is only defeated when they break their way into the surface world, where he's the one with backwards gravity.]
luffypirate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 12:18 am Reply with quote
Pale Cocoon blew my mind. Thanks again to the Pied Piper/Directions for getting it cleared for the international Time of EVE release. First thing I did when I got my copy was watch that short film.
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 1:41 am Reply with quote
For those that have Amazon Prime, it should be noted that Patema Inverted is currently included in your Amazon Prime Video selections:
http://www.amazon.com/Patema-Inverted-Cassandra-Lee-Morris/dp/B00OY0YF4E/
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:52 am Reply with quote
We just don't like to use the term ONA since it's so close to the vulgar term onahole. Laughing
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:56 am Reply with quote
kotomikun wrote:
The best thing about Patema is how well the inverting works as a metaphor for perspective, power, and probably several other things I'm not thinking of...
I'll suggest that it may not be much more than a way to explore how different things look when upside-down, how different things would be if gravity inverted and as a novel way for Age and Patema to find that they can do things together that that can't do separately. The idea of "falling into the sky" may be based on an experience, as I found one day that staring into a partly cloudy sky for a half-hour on your back can cause your perspective to invert and seem like you are looking down. It is quite unnerving for a few seconds and I doubt that I'm alone in experiencing this.
BlurredVision18

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:19 am Reply with quote
Nice article, Yasuhiro Yoshiura has become one of my favorite directors over the last year, been catching up on all his work. Can't wait for more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2