• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Silly Pieces of Weaponry

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lavmintrose

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:41 am Reply with quote
Best anime introduction? Something other than Shonen Jump.

Also, it depends on the age of the kid. Under 10? Probably magical girl things. Cardcaptor Sakura, Precure, Princess Tutu, Shugo Chara. Or mon shows. Maybe Soul Eater or Assassination Classroom (the only good Shonen Jump thing). 10-14, something like Fullmetal Alchemist. Or Arslan.

Even if they're 7, it's an insult to their intelligence to recommend Naruto. Shonen Sunday and Shonen Gangan have way better stories than Shonen Jump.

Also, Detective Conan for everyone. All the time.
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:48 am Reply with quote
Kyuubey a cute Mascot? and in the top 5 at that

That thing i would feel more comfortable was placed in a pot of burning oil. Anime hyper
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I am disappointed that an entire paragraph about the Rickenbacker and yet there was not as single El Kabong reference.
Azure-Wind91

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
What about Master Asia's sash?
FireballDragon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:37 pm Reply with quote
For the poll, I picked One Piece. It can take a while to get used to the art, but once you hold on with it long enough, it'll grow on you.

Though I believe pretty much EVERYONE in America was introduced to anime through Dragon Ball.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
I thought Ryuko's scissor blades were pretty silly though perhaps less so than the yo-yo wielded by her spiritual predecessor Saki in Sukeban Deka. (The first ED to Kill la Kill is an homage to the ending of the original live-action Sukeban Deka. It's only available from less-than-legal sources I'm afraid despite being thirty years old now.)

For fans of Ryuko's scissors blade, I recommend watching this video from a group of blacksmiths in Baltimore who make an impressive reconstruction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFGxk2aUBFQ. Their construction of Squall's gun blade from Final Fantasy VIII Is also worth a look.

Two other overlooked entries are Nyan-Nyan's wand of love and especially TakaMina's electrified hair ribbon in AKB0048. You can see them both in action in the opening episode here: http://www.crunchyroll.com/akb0048/episode-1-the-indelible-dream-619173

I'd probably choose Yomiko Readman's paper weapons as the silliest of those in the list though.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I thought Ryuko's scissor blades were pretty silly though perhaps less so than the yo-yo wielded by her spiritual predecessor Saki in Sukeban Deka.

Oh my gosh, someone else who knows Sukeban Deka! Sweet! :D
tcdelaney

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Pikachu? Pickachu???? Ryo-oh-ki was robbed!

Not only is she an incredibly cute cabbit (as anyone who has seen my plush can attest), but she also has an incredibly cute humanoid child form (plus a cute adult form only seen once) and a cute spaceship form. Triple the cuteness!

I can only put it down to Tenchi not being as well known these days.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:52 pm Reply with quote
I think I would have put Gon's fishing pole in at #8. Smile

A kendama also seems like kind of a weird weapon, but since Yatterman (or whoever else first adopted it), it's become less unusual, so probably doesn't work for the List.
Wingbeats

I want a Nyanko-sensei of my very own.

....though, all the alcohol in my house would disappear mysteriously Sad

I have fun introducing kids I babysit to either Digimon or Cardcaptor Sakura (their choice). They often adore them both, really Very Happy

Neither of those are Shonen Jump shows. I ended up selecting Dragon Ball.
relyat08

Personally, I think the best show to introduce younger kids to anime is Hunter x Hunter, but I suppose if I've gotta pick a Shonen Jump property, One Piece is going to be the one. It really covers all of the bases and has a lot of really interesting story arcs. And even more important, it manages to never feel boring to me, unlike DBZ and many of the other ones. I'd pick Death Note for slightly older audiences, but I don't think a lot of 10-12 year old kids would really be able to get into that with the amount of dialogue it has.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
FireballDragon wrote:
Though I believe pretty much EVERYONE in America was introduced to anime through Dragon Ball.

Where did I leave my cane this time? Dagnabbit!

Nyaruko: a whole line (well, a mother and son) of dinner-fork-wielding demon hunters.

Modern Magic Made Simple: you will fight with washbasins, whether you want to or not.
Mr.Shonen

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:21 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Personally, I think the best show to introduce younger kids to anime is Hunter x Hunter, but I suppose if I've gotta pick a Shonen Jump property, One Piece is going to be the one. It really covers all of the bases and has a lot of really interesting story arcs. And even more important, it manages to never feel boring to me, unlike DBZ and many of the other ones. I'd pick Death Note for slightly older audiences, but I don't think a lot of 10-12 year old kids would really be able to get into that with the amount of dialogue it has.

Hate to be breaking this bad news to you, but HunterXHunter IS a Shonen Jump property.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Trypticon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 6:08 pm Reply with quote
I'm more partial to the weapon Aldra adopts on Queen's Blade Rebellion.

Spoon versus sword.

Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:50 pm Reply with quote
That's a tough choice one what to introduce kids with. Alot of kids I knew growing up were into Naruto but I didn't really take it it's style (and no I'm not just talking visually) and gravitated more towards One Piece. Which isn't to say kids couldn't enjoy both but that's the thing, you don't really know what anybody's into.

I like Hunter x Hunter but I'm not sure if kids can get into it, especially with what happens later down the line as things become not only more violent, but very talkative and in a manner I doubt kids will find interesting. (Togashi uses Killua as a shorthand to do some political talk to which Gon has probably the reaction most kids would have upon hearing something like that.) I feel like One Piece and My hero academia can be really great jumping points but if they're into more "serious" (and I'm using HEAVY quotations on that.) things then maybe Naruto or something I dunno.

One Punch Man is probably the worst choice, not because it's violent (kids like that kinda stuff too) but because a lot of it's appeal is making fun of stuff that usually happens in manga like One Piece or Naruto, so that's more of the reward you get after identifying the frequent patterns you see happening.

Assassination classroom feels like a great series for kids though, even if it isn't quite as action packed as some other manga, it juxtaposes things kids can most relate to with things kids would actually find cool and it has some good lessons for them as well. I'm not sure if it's good as an introductory anime/manga but I think the phrase "every anime/manga is someone's first" holds a lot of water here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3