• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: "Goeppels-chan" Puts Moe Spin on Nazism in Fan Videos

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arale Kurashiki

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:04 pm Reply with quote
{Edit: Pointless one liner post removed. ~ Psycho 101}
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:09 pm Reply with quote
I have a serious question:

Why does anime and Japan in general protray Germans in a more positive / accepting light than other foreigners? Are they just stuck in the whole WW2 mentality because they were on the same side? As a third generation German-American this seems really odd to me; especially since Germans are very anti-Nazi now
Levitz9

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:

Why does anime and Japan in general protray Germans in a more positive / accepting light than other foreigners? Are they just stuck in the whole WW2 mentality because they were on the same side? As a third generation German-American this seems really odd to me; especially since Germans are very anti-Nazi now

The article covered this, to an extent: Japan was a Nazi ally during WW2, and they don't have a sizeable Jewish population.

It's not that Japan is inherently anti-Semitic, there are just fewer people who would take issue with anything concerning Nazism as nobody quite understands how bad it got for other people.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Which is strange because actually a large number of Jews used Japan as a stopping point to escape the Nazis on their way to other countries.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chiune_Sugihara
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:

The article covered this, to an extent: Japan was a Nazi ally during WW2, and they don't have a sizeable Jewish population.

It's not that Japan is inherently anti-Semitic, there are just fewer people who would take issue with anything concerning Nazism as nobody quite understands how bad it got for other people.

Japan was pretty awful in there own way during WW2, it would be little more than "pot calling kettle black" so some Japanese politicians have tried to "lighten the tone" or justify Japan's open imperial expansion and as a byproduct Hitler and the Nazi regime become less inherently evil in the history books.

There is also the nature that things like Unit 731 were officially covered up so US intelligence could have exclusive access to the findings as well as ensuring scientists part of the project wouldn't be extradited to Soviet allied territory (ie Communist China).
This examples point being is that even before the moment of surrendering to the US the official history of Japan during WW2 would be heavily edited even for its own citizens.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:35 pm Reply with quote
After scraping the bottom of the barrel, apparently they decided to keep digging right on through it, past the center of the earth, and all the way to the other side until they finally scraped the bottom of another barrel, poked their heads out and said to themselves "y'know, maybe we should keep digging around, this doesn't seem like the bottomest barrel that we can scrape just yet."

Moe nazis. It defies reaction. I almost can't bring myself to outrage because of how stupefyingly insensitive the idea is. Good night folks.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:39 pm Reply with quote
What's next? A cute, moe comedy about the Rape of Nanking? Maybe a moe Korean Comfort Woman? Japan needs a lot more introspection into their own past, including WWII war crimes. Maybe "moe" would be a good place to start?

At least this is in no way mainstream.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:49 pm Reply with quote
I am usually all for doing moe history bullshit (like the above cited Moe Dictators book) if that's what's gonna make people learn stuff, but this is honestly horrifying. That premise is just.... damnit. I'd understand if this were actually ridiculing these people, but that doesn't seem to be the case. And that they're using an international face like Miku to spread such a venomous message is simply awful. I truly hope this doesn't get funded

Snomaster1 wrote:
A cutesy-poo version of Joseph Goebbels and the Nazi Party? Yeah,that's going to do real well in this country. And,I'm being sarcastic with that last statement. Outside of people like Mel Brooks,I don't think that most Americans find Nazism all that funny. If I were a Japanese person who's interested in American immigration,that would surprise me. Because for years now,the number one ethnic group in America are German-Americans.
Also,like the article says,there aren't a lot of Jews in Japan,unlike America. I doubt a lot of American Jews will find this funny. So will non-Jewish Americans,like me. I doubt this is going to be brought over here because if it is,it would sink like a stone. This would do as well as Al-Jazeera America. This is only for the curious and those who are neo-Nazis,not for anyone with a sense of humor or decency.

You do realize this is a Japanese thing done by Japanese people and probably intended for a Japanese audience, right? I quite sincerely doubt the creators were thinking of the American audience when doing this, so I don't know why you seem so adamant about how "the American audience" will take it. Not everything is about America
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 9:52 pm Reply with quote
Why does Japan give Germany such lax treatment over the war? A pile of reasons! First and foremost, they also had plenty of war crimes. At some point people just get tired of constantly living in fear of past events, and comedy helps cope. Comedy helps move people past this. Comedy tackles difficult subjects, and comedy can introduce and enlighten others about the faults of the system it makes fun of. I'd rather have this be funny AND warn the future about the malicious propaganda techniques, rather than have people pretend nothing bad can ever happen again, while also feeling guilty for eternity.

So, yeah, comedy dulls the edge on sharp topics, and comedy can/should sometimes be offensive.

I can envision some years down the line someone is talking about Media Spin, and someone links a Goeppel-chan video that succinctly explains the technique and effects, so that a layman now can fully understand the technique and guard against it. That is...if this series had anywhere near that quality (Doesn't!!)

A final reason on why Japan might support Germany is that everyone loves an underdog story. Losing sides have a sort of appeal. I was reading up on the Ottoman Empire recently, and whn they were at war with the Byzantines I was all for it. an old, corrupt empire, infighting, they do deserve to lose. But when Constantinople was under siege and Europe turned their backs...I kinda rooted for them. Why not have a propaganda anime/manga about Liddel Hart? Well, his side won and there aren't a whole ton of comedy situations you could do, even if you turn the intensity up to 11. Goebbels, on the other hand, is almost the very definition of Propaganda. Over here we have HBO shows about making the main character a serial killer hired to find other serial killers, yet he can be the main character no problem. It just isn't funny in this case. But even so, you think someone's gonna watch this and decide "Oh yeah, this shitty moe visual novel video totally converted me to become a Nazi!" No.

This mini-franchise should exist if the author can pull it off.
It should be able to exist even if the show is unfunny.
Because maybe down the line there'll be a tough issue and you'll want your artists and writers free to make fun of whatever extreme ideologies are out there. Ridicule dulls their rhetoric, silencing them only forces them out of the mainstream and to the underground where they can grow again unobserved.
Blue21

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Why's everyone acting like this is propaganda from a neo-nazi author? I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be nothing more than satire that happens to go up to South Park-levels of offense potential.
TooLazyToComeUpWithaName

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:17 pm Reply with quote
This is too disgusting for words. At first glance, I thought this might be a parody a la ISIS-chan, but it doesn't seem like it to me. It seems like this is glorifying the Nazi's actions instead of actually showing how wrong they were.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I think the major difference is that South Park's satire tends to have teeth while this looks like it...doesn't.

For me at least, this just doesn't look like absurd, pointed or ironic enough find "funny", just really callous.
Foxaika

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:33 pm Reply with quote
This reminds me of a book of dictators turned by artists into cute girls. I still need to get that now that I think about it. Laughing
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Japan has done moe interpretations of other dictators, like Pol Pot. I just wished they be careful when parodying those things, because there are too many people in Japan who will take this to heart, this is the start of an age of absolute tyranny in Japan and stuff like this should be parodied carefully or it can make things much worse. It's not good in the political climate Japan has, I wouldn't mind this if were somewhere else where there isn't such a threat of extreme nationalism and tyranny looming as it does have a right to exist, it's just not right to have this in a country where the climate is becoming so bad.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 12:07 am Reply with quote
Levitz9 wrote:
Lili-Hime wrote:

And one reason they did ally with the Axis was Germany's promise to punish Russia and keep "the Bolsheviks" (Communists) from spreading.
Japan had no longstanding love for their troublesome neighbor, so their new militarism saw that as a valuable thing they could agree on--And as Nazi Germany seemed "progressive", it added to their own image of revolutionizing their country.
When the Axis promised to divvy up their spoils of conquest, Japan would be allowed occupation of North America and control of the Pacific (and the oil-rights disputes they'd bombed Pearl Harbor over), so there was no downside for them--There were no Jews for the Japanese to deport like Germany and Italy, so it was all political gain for them, not that they would have been able to tell them apart from other white Westerners in the first place.

It's rather like the businessmen in the 30's who had good things to say about "that painter fellow restoring Germany's economy" as if it was a political/economic issue, and either glossing over the uglier aspects of it or unspoken closet-supporting them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3