• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Thunderbolt Anime's 2nd Episode Previewed in Video

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm lovestruck. This is what Gundam needed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
amagee

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I wish this wasn't such a "buy the manga" series. The artistry is incredible.
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 3:16 am Reply with quote
Great trailer. Would be perfect if they got a better singer.
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 5:48 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

No, what Gundam needs is good writers. Something that's pretty damn hard to come across by these days. 15 minutes webepisodes are Laughing .
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:11 am Reply with quote
Man I love it when Sunrise Studio 1 gets on the job and a U.C Gundam OVA is going because it still maintains that 80's aesthetic to the kinds of scenes you see (particularly the way the scene a the beach is shot with young Daryl playing around and the women in skirt with umbrella without a high school girl in bikini in sight showing it as a scene depicting youthful innocence....at a beach...without fanservice) but the animation itself is very much modern. You just don't get that kind of look anywhere else really nor the hand drawn mecha. Just great for fans of 80's mecha.

Cptn_Taylor wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

No, what Gundam needs is good writers. Something that's pretty damn hard to come across by these days. 15 minutes webepisodes are Laughing .

Part of the reason I think U.C Gundam manages to stay so mature and maintain that gravitas is because Sunrise hasn't let regular anime writers touch it, it's often been a sci-fi manga or novel author of some notoriety so it has never really been influenced by otaku trends and has had writers that know how to write about things besides teen power fantasies and there adventures with a harem of idealized beautiful girls.

Gundam needs this (though I'm not sure it's too little too late and if people are even paying attention considering it's an OVA) too show the world what it can be at it's best and too dispel that stigma that all it is about ever period is some Michael Bay's Transformers like robot smackdown where the main character hops in the OP Gundam and wins every fight. Granted that does happen, but like every time I've seen somebody who clearly hasn't seen any Gundam besides maybe 00 thinks every series is exactly about and only about. Never hear about any of the politics, or character dramas or the rich history of some of the universes, for those people in there heads what I described with the Bayformers thing is all it is and it's an image Gundam could stand to lose. For that people HAVE to be paying attention though and I just don't think that's going to happen with OVAs like Origin, Unicorn and Thunderbolt, it has to be the right kind of TV show which is what people are willing to watch and where it's going to pick up the new fans if it does.

I don't know whether Iron Blooded Orphans can be that show, but it's a step back in the right direction IMO. I think it's been a good ride so far, but it's clear it's starting to be held back a bit by the team of contemporary writers it's had put in place to direct it (who still seem like they haven't committed to a clear direction with as few as possibly 8-10 episodes to go) and I just don't think the AU universes have been putting much into the visual style to give these recent ones their own distinct look and vibe like U.C has every time they go back to it. IBO really feels pacing wise like it's setting up for a second season, but with how some recent Sunrise series have looked that way and just kind of arbitrarily cut off at the 24-26 episode mark like Valvrave and G-Reco (immensely disappointed at that aspect more than anything because it just looks neglectful) when there's clearly more story and world building to tell and explore one can never know if the same is going to happen there which would probably cripple it in the long run.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Cptn_Taylor wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

I find the implication that this isn't written well because it's short annoying.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zetabag

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:08 am Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:

Cptn_Taylor wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Part of the reason I think U.C Gundam manages to stay so mature and maintain that gravitas is because Sunrise hasn't let regular anime writers touch it, it's often been a sci-fi manga or novel author of some notoriety so it has never really been influenced by otaku trends and has had writers that know how to write about things besides teen power fantasies and there adventures with a harem of idealized beautiful girls.

That probably has to do with the fact that Sunrise knows that the majority of the UC fanbase are adults and therefore knows the material has to appeal more to adults. The TV series are usually aimed at a much broader audience, usually teenagers and YAs and the writing will usually reflect this.

Also, I imagine that the UC manga and light novel stories are much less of an investment compared a full blown TV series. As a result sunrise will allow for stories that cater to a more niche audience.
I just don't think the AU universes have been putting much into the visual style to give these recent ones their own distinct look and vibe like U.C has every time they go back to it.

To be fair the reason why the UC has it distinct look is because its still using a style that is no longer the norm. Turn back the clock 35 years and I'm sure it looked like most of the mecha genre of the 80s. I don't really think the UC was originally going for a distinct look and it only turned out that way because it manged to keep on going for over 35 years.

IBO really feels pacing wise like it's setting up for a second season, but with how some recent Sunrise series have looked that way and just kind of arbitrarily cut off at the 24-26 episode mark like Valvrave and G-Reco (immensely disappointed at that aspect more than anything because it just looks neglectful) when there's clearly more story and world building to tell and explore one can never know if the same is going to happen there which would probably cripple it in the long run.

No argument there, IBO's pacing really feels like a typical 50 episode Gundam series. Both Valvrave and G-Reco really felt like they were originally meant to be one season longer and were forced to wrap up earlier than expected. At least the recent listing of IBO's OST on Amazon Japan gives me hope there will be a second season, though it could just mean that sunrise is open to the possibility provided that its worth the investment.
CoreSignal

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:46 pm Reply with quote
@Cptn_Taylor, I think Thunderbolt's writing is perfectly fine so far. Being so short, I'm expecting a very lean and concise (though rushed) show.

Zetabag wrote:
That probably has to do with the fact that Sunrise knows that the majority of the UC fanbase are adults and therefore knows the material has to appeal more to adults. The TV series are usually aimed at a much broader audience, usually teenagers and YAs and the writing will usually reflect this.

^Well said. I like G Gundam and Gundam 00 but yeah, please leave all that power fantasy stuff out of UC gundam. Personally, I think it's great that they often have sci-fi writers work on UC shows.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1