• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Terror in Resonance BD+DVD

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
law240

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:09 am Reply with quote
No, just no.

TERROR IN RESONANCE is ridiculous but it's so straight faced it's almost a comedy. They stretched the plot of a Cowboy Bebop movie/episode to 12 episodes, without the main cast of Bebop. whats left to is a bunch of sides characters and a goofy villain without proper protagonist as a foil. it's just not balanced.

{Edit}: I removed your pointless insult. It's perfectly fine to disagree with a user or reviewer, but it's not ok to throw in a juvenile insult while doing so. ~ Psycho 101.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:10 am Reply with quote
Quite honestly, the ending, as well as its portrayal of terrorism, kind of ruined the whole show to me.

The show is a bit extreme on the idealistic side, personally.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:28 am Reply with quote
Engineering Nerd wrote:
Quite honestly, the ending, as well as its portrayal of terrorism, kind of ruined the whole show to me.

The show is a bit extreme on the idealistic side, personally.

It kind of HAD to be idealistic in order to give the series a sense of morality. The thing is, the terrorists in our world like al-Qaeda and the Taliban are doing things because of what America and the Soviet Union did to them during the Cold War, kind of like what spoiler[ the institution did to Nine and Twelve]. However, we can't sympathize with our terrorists because they are mentally disturbed and just think killing everyone is going to solve everything, which is deplorable. spoiler[Nine and Twelve, however, only want to destroy the reputation of the people that harmed them in the Academy, not kill anyone - they even go out of their way to save people from Five's yandere wrath. ] The show isn't flat-out realistic, but if it was, it would be too controversial even if it was strictly from Shibazaki's perspective, especially with all the 9/11, London train bombing, and Hiroshima references.

That being said, I'm currently watching the series and enjoying it. I'm only halfway through at the moment, but I know how it ends and honestly, that is what realistically was going to happen to everyone. I just wish Lisa had an actual purpose in the plot.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:30 am Reply with quote
I had seen this streaming and I thought it was quite watchable and worthwhile, but not enough to buy the media. The story was hard to relate to at points and it went downhill with the introduction of Five into the story.

What I wasn't aware of is the background info on the director. I hope he does more stuff and better than this.
Takamachi Ryoko

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:32 am Reply with quote
This show is a mixed bag for me. Being a fan of mystery, I enjoyed the riddle, the cat & mouse chase, it has some decent take on terrorism, but the character development aside from Shibazaki is weak as hell. The revelation, the characters' background, seen it a million time. Five is a terrible villain, her motivation doesn't make sense. The ending is a mess, and I don't even need to rant on the female lead.

I enjoyed it and gave it a decent score, but probably won't watch it again for a long time.
Akamaru_Inu
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:38 am Reply with quote
I loved this show up until the last 15 minutes, when is just crashed and burned and turned into one big joke. spoiler[Clarence still being alive was a total and complete ass-pull, and the "America storms in" thing left a bad taste in my mouth. It should have ended with Nine and Twelve dying peacefully after their one day of being normal with Lisa because of their anime mom disease.] It absolutely soured me on the whole series, which is a shame because it has some of the coolest cinematography and most beautiful art I've seen in anime.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:04 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
I had seen this streaming and I thought it was quite watchable and worthwhile, but not enough to buy the media. The story was hard to relate to at points and it went downhill with the introduction of Five into the story.What I wasn't aware of is the background info on the director. I hope he does more stuff and better than this.
I second the sentiments, a good review will not convince me to get the DVD and my memory is good enough that I don't need to watch it again. About director-san, a lot of people were almost too well aware of his work before the show aired and I think that sort of undid it's potential appeal. Great expectations tend to lead to great dislike if the object of said expectations don't meet or exceed them, and that seems to have happened with TnR, as some posts here attest. I think some of the ranting is undeserved as I found the show was OK overall relative to other recent anime and somewhat undeserving of the negativity. If it were done by someone else it might have been hailed as a great show, but now it'll be lucky to get OK DVD sales from what few true fans there are.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:19 am Reply with quote
Wow, I am impressed that an ANN critic actually has nice things to say about Terror in Resonance. Zac and Justin pretty much destroyed it in an ANN Cast.

I like the show quite a bit and bought a copy.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:35 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Wow, I am impressed that an ANN critic actually has nice things to say about Terror in Resonance. Zac and Justin pretty much destroyed it in an ANN Cast.

One nice thing about ANN is that you'll oftentimes get to hear more than one opinion. It's why I will read things like Shelf Life, even if it contains a review of a series that already received a review on the site previously.
navycherub

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:42 am Reply with quote
Terror in Resonance is one of my favorite shows ever and this review echos my thoughts exactly. I'm glad there are others who see it this way.
Pierrot.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:52 am Reply with quote
The show had so many plot conveniences, badly written scenes and some jarring moments. I don't think it deserves the grade given but oh well...
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Good show, but very boring. Half the time I was yawning with tears in my eyes. I also felt it tried too hard to be "epic" and felt silly at times.

angelmcazares wrote:

It's not all that surprising that different people have different opinions. The opinions of those two dudes are not universal lol.
MajorZero

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Opinions are nice and all, but for me it's nearly incomprehensible how can anyone give a perfect score to something with very questionable internal logic, piss poor character development and laughable political message behind the whole work. And no, American foreign policy doesn't excuse Five's idiotic behavior and motivation. Also, what is the role of Lisa? To humanize Nine and Twelve? Or her sole purpose in the show is to create liability to them? There are so many weaknesses in this show's writing department that you can write an essay about why it's so bad.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:26 pm Reply with quote
I felt the same way about this as I did with Eden of the East. The premise and setup seemed cool but the show never really lived up to it to me.

This is totally unique to my anime life, but Terror in Resonance didn't feel like most of the anime I watch. It seemed different (not wholly unique as I've seen stuff like it, but it's definitely not the bulk of what comes out in a year) and that was interesting. So it felt really different and unique... then they start revealing some of the background stuff and the bad guys and it's straight up generic bad anime type stuff that had they included in the show description, I would have rolled my eyes and picked something else to watch. That let me down in a way that's probably unfair to knock the show for (anime is anime, shock) but was a let down none the less.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Wow this is incredibly generous, especially considering the review itself recognize that the story is complete non sense. And what happen when you build theme and element on a non sense story? A random assortment of various theme unsupported by the story. Frankly even unsupported is generous, the story flat out contradict its theme. None of the main "cast away" character (especially Lisa) try to do anything to improve there situation, she just run away and 9 and 12 just immediately decide that terrorism is the answer, they all come off as incredibly stupid spoiled brat that expect society to fix everything for them while they actively work against it. Honestly I came off thinking that if that's the best they got to offer then society should flat out do less for them, not more.

And the world is so farcically fake that you can't take any lesson from the show, its obviously happening in an entirely different reality than the one we live in. The American intervention is just so utterly baffling that it really come off like the written has no clue how the world actually work and should be the last person on earth to give any lessons about society. Its truly is the anime incarnation of pretentious disconnected art.

The individual scene are great, but again ruin by the story. The bike scene is amazing, but when put in context its disappointing and serves no purpose, it feel like it was a leftover from a previous incarnation of the show where 9 and 12 were actual terrorist who killed people rather than half hazard attempt at making them terrorist hero.

The music is amazing though, if you want to spent money on this, buy the soundtrack well worth it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4