• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Berserk TV Anime's Cast, Staff, July Premiere Unveiled

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:33 am Reply with quote
Quite a strange staff list...including the studio

I'm going to keep expectations low for the show. Wonder if it will be a 2-cour.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:40 am Reply with quote
Basically, this staff is horrible and leaves no room for optimism. It can be worse than that film trilogy, and I wish those hadn't been made either. If you can't even top a shoestring budget pan-and-zoom 1997 series, don't bother at all.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:17 am Reply with quote
Guts is not Canna, meaning, another weak and non-compelling Guts. Crying or Very sad
DontmesswithKarma

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:23 am Reply with quote
very strange staff. especially Milisp- whatever. they can make such good quality 2d animation. a pity. this could be fantastic if they didn't use cgi
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:28 am Reply with quote
I wish I understood the logic of leaving this iconic franchise in the hands of a studio that's barely done a handful of complementary CGI stuff, one whose only animation production is Teekyu, and one that's done a butt load of in-betweens plus Cardfight Vanguard and little else. This thing is looking worse by the day
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:33 am Reply with quote
I hadn't realised that the manga was put on hiatus at the end of last year. Had a bet going that if it had gone for 12 straight months of serialization, that I would buy all the manga that is out there. The guy I had this bet going with didn't mention this hiatus...

Anyway, as much as the story of Beserk interests me, the thing that has kept me away is the lack of an ending on the horizon. I do wonder if, maybe, Miura will end up stopping doing the manga altogether, and just go for an anime to cover the end. Though, with the poor reception for the staff in this thread...seems like some may not want that to be happen with this lot.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:50 am Reply with quote
DontmesswithKarma wrote:
very strange staff. especially Milisp- whatever. they can make such good quality 2d animation. a pity. this could be fantastic if they didn't use cgi
It may have a lot to do with the art, in the Manga it is very detailed, which is fine for a drawing, but to animate that moving. Well it could be done, but certainly not for TV as the amount of time it would take to animate the Berserk armour would cause nothing but delays, and it just wouldn't be cost effective regardless of how popular it is in Japan.

In the TV series they had to compromise by having very basic designs, and even then it hardly moved. The only way it could ever work would be as an OVA series.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:52 am Reply with quote
Anyone know if the BD relase has subs, I've recently got Jin-Roh and Blue Submarine NO.6 from Japan, and they had sub and dub. I'm happy to compromise on just a sub if need be.
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:57 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Anyone know if the BD relase has subs, I've recently got Jin-Roh and Blue Submarine NO.6 from Japan, and they had sub and dub. I'm happy to compromise on just a sub if need be.

The 97 show? No, there aren't any but as seen here, the video looks great which makes the lack of a license-rescue very sad. Sad
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:34 am Reply with quote
I'm usually pretty ok with cgi animation - I made it through Kingdom until I no longer really noticed, and Ajin looks fine to me, but this. smh It looks like a game cut scene from 20 years ago. ::sigh:: I really thought for a tv series they'd abandon the cgi from the movies. Instead they made it worse.
WANNFH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:07 am Reply with quote
Why are all confident that the show will indeed be entirely CGI? Based on the trailer? This may be a conventional promo-material.

Liden Flims deals with the combined animation, and Millepensee - is 2D-studio subordinated to Itagaki (it was created by his wife, Gainax producer Naoko Shiraishi).
ImplyingImplications

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:58 am Reply with quote
Seems everyone is not talking about the most baffling thing about this. What's up with the cast of characters list? It says it's going to be about the Black Swordsman arc but what is Isidro doing on the list? He doesn't show up till the Tower of Conviction arc which is a lot later.

Is this anime going to be a 2 cour anime? Because I can't see them covering Black Swordsman, Lost Children, and Tower of Conviction arcs in 12-13 episodes.
Souther

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:29 am Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
snip

I very, very much doubt Miura would quit doing Berserk, and at the current point in Berserk's story, it'd be a massive waste to quit now. Far too many unanswered questions, and one incredibly important plot point has yet to be resolved.

ImplyingImplications wrote:
snip

I believe they weren't talking about necessarily doing the Blackswordsman arc, they were talking about after so long, there would finally be a full anime series animating Guts in his Blackswordsman get-up. But yeah, Isidro doesnt't show up until the Conviction Arc, so I guess that's what they'll be animating (no Lost Children?).

Anyway, Guts, Casca, Griffith and Skullknight's actors are reprising their roles, and the 1997 series' Void's actor's doing the narration. Cast for the new chars are pretty interesting. And Guts is looking mean as **** in this promotional artwork for the show. Guess we'll see more when they release the PVs this Fri-Sat.

Last edited by Souther on Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
#Foreverfizz8

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 9:49 am Reply with quote
Do I watch this... I'm actually asking myself this. It's [expletive] Berserk! The CGI leaves a bad taste in my mouth, so I may not go for it.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:41 am Reply with quote
So, Hirasawa is only working on an insert song? I was hoping for more.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3