• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Spring 2016 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Cool, it started and I have to admit, Jojo is fabulous as ever with its return.

Part 4 is one of my favorite series from the franchise and I think so far, it has an awesome start in terms of storytelling. Expecting some cuts here and there though given the length (rumored to be 39+ episodes).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blankslate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:04 pm Reply with quote
JoJo's Bizzare Adventure Part 4 - 4/5
Part 2 was my favorite JoJo's part, but part 3 left me so drained and bored (besides the last ~12 episodes) that I thought about giving up on the franchise. Luckily, part 4 seems to be up my alley in terms of storytelling, characters, and aesthetic. So yeah, you won me back JoJo even with your big exposition dumps.

Space Partol Luluco - 2.5/5
This is probably the most I've enjoyed a Trigger show, but that's not saying much. Once again the annoying SCREAM EVERYTHING motif that Trigger shows are known for popped up, so it's safe to say I won't be watching this week to week.
Theozilla

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:15 pm Reply with quote
I ended up reading Diamond is Unbreakable last year and it is definitely as great part. From what I can tell based on the Western fandom, of the seven completed JoJo parts, Parts 4 and 7 seem to be the most loved parts, Parts 1 and 5 seem to be the least liked, while 2, 3, and 6 seem vary in reception around a middling area/range.
Engineering Nerd

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Probably my false instinct, the first episode of jo4 gave me a slight slice-of-life feel, despite featuring criminal cases. I dunno, it just keeps me giving me a relatively more relaxed/laid-back feel, compare to other Jojo saga.

By the way, I LOVE it
Valhern

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Don't have much to add, except that you can watch or read Diamond is Unbreakable without the help of Stardust Crusaders. The first episode of Crusaders more or less infodumps you most of what you need to know, and so does here, the fact that you know that there is something before makes you twitch a little since you know that there SHOULD be more, but if you don't, then it's no problem.

This gonna be great, literally.
VoidWitch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I'll be honest i was not a big fan of Stardust Crusaders. The pacing felt slow and it was hard to get used to the character designs. But i'm still interested in JoJo universe so i will definitely watch the new season.
chito895

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:40 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Quote:
So I went into this primarily to determine whether or not you can start watching JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond Is Unbreakable without really knowing much of what happened in Stardust Crusaders.

Turns out the answer is largely “no”

Crap, and I was kinda looking forward to watching that show. But is that reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaally true? I haven't watch any JoJo show, but there's always so much hype around it that makes me interest to give it a try. And I don't feel like starting the first season.
Paul D. Atreides

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Here we go!

Been looking forward to this season for a while now, lots of interesting shows coming up.
Valhern

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:49 pm Reply with quote
chito895 wrote:
Crap, and I was kinda looking forward to watching that show. But is that reeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaally true? I haven't watch any JoJo show, but there's always so much hype around it that makes me interest to give it a try. And I don't feel like starting the first season.

Like I said, no. Each and every part is more or less consistent by itself, probably only part 5 and 6 may need a little of beforehand information, but not necessarily so. However, I would never recommend anyone NOT start with Part 1 and 2 (first season), there is something about JoJo that grows on you along with the story of the Joestars, skipping parts is a no-go for me.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:17 pm Reply with quote
The Guide is already up? That was fast. I have a feeling that we will get to read quite a few giggle-inducing reviews this time, as well (I'm looking at you, Hundred).
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:20 pm Reply with quote
Did anyone else see "Sponsored By Funimation" and completely flip over the fact that Funimation hasn't released their Spring catalog even when the season's started? That better be the closest thing they come to an April Fools' joke this year.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
Did anyone else see "Sponsored By Funimation" and completely flip over the fact that Funimation hasn't released their Spring catalog even when the season's started? That better be the closest thing they come to an April Fools' joke this year.

They did that today though, and Funimation has been sponsoring the preview guide for a few seasons now. http://www.funimation.com/p/spring
kurowa-san

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:02 pm Reply with quote
People should just always start at part I. It's like starting One piece on episode 500 and then complain that you don't know who all the characters are or what the plot is.

Also, I don't think the first episode looked that good. The backgrounds were colourful, but the were incredibly crude at times and anything that moved clashed with it. It's a shame that the studio has a shoestring budget. I do dig the cast though, and they added in some things that fans will like, like important characters and plot items hidden in shots.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

They did that today though, and Funimation has been sponsoring the preview guide for a few seasons now. http://www.funimation.com/p/spring

I know. My post went up just moments before it came up.
v1cious

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Too bad you guys aren't doing shorts. Luluco Space Patrol is great.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 45