• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: Solid State Society DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daedelus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:44 am Reply with quote
Good review. I especially liked the analogy liking SAC to Manhunter and the original to Silence of the Lambs. Personally, I liked Manhunter better than Silence, so it fits that I prefer SAC. I can't help but wonder how many people on this forum have actually seen Manhunter. It was my first time seeing a young William Peterson(CSI) at work.

As much as I liked SSS, it really did just seem like an extra long episode. That is not a bad thing, though. I am totally ready for 3rd season. Hmm, I watched this when it first came out. Now I have this strong urge to watch it again. Anime smile + sweatdrop
Enchantertim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:47 am Reply with quote
Solid State Society isn't bad, but I think the story would have worked better as the over-arching plot for a 3rd season, like the Laughing Man or Individual Eleven.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:33 am Reply with quote
That's my Stand Alone Complex for ya! Even its movie has flaws, but it's still perfect. Well, if you know what I mean. Both Kamiyama's and Oshii's directing styles I like, Kamiyama's even more so, yet I've heard plenty a time that this movie isn't as incredible as the TV series. Though for me it's a must-watch. Eventually I'll get around to seeing the movie, but not anytime soon. I would like to buy Solid State Society along with Guardian of the Sacred Spirit volume one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Solid State Society was good, but as with the two seasons of the SAC TV series, dropped the ball in the finale. I was expecting a bit more of an exciting climax, but despite the build up, it was a letdown. Not to mention with all the talking, it took me a while to discern exactly what had occured, because I had to sift through a quarry of long dialogues and musings about the state of modern day (though "future") Japan.

Still, pretty entertaining.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
She's a very gifted composer, so one has to admire her ability to resist branding a series as her own or drowning it in her musical talent.

I instantly thought of Yuki Kajiura when you said that.

Anyway the English dub actress for Makoto is incredible, her performance in the movie was great, she was incredible in the series but her little speech at the end about "Wanting to find something" was just very realistic and impactful, I think this movie was probably her best performance for the character.
Terrestrial_Cel

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:07 pm Reply with quote
chrisb wrote:

Anyway the English dub actress for Makoto is incredible, her performance in the movie was great, she was incredible in the series but her little speech at the end about "Wanting to find something" was just very realistic and impactful, I think this movie was probably her best performance for the character.

I agree, Mary McGlynn is probably one of the best English voice actresses around. I usually don't watch dubbed versions of anime, but GitS SAC has always been the exception as it is always a job well done. In the SSS extras interview, the actors seemed very enthusiastic about their rolls and in the universe of SAC (yay for english voice actors caring about the anime they lend their talents to).
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:21 pm Reply with quote
Terrestrial_Cel wrote:
chrisb wrote:

I agree, Mary McGlynn is probably one of the best English voice actresses around. I usually don't watch dubbed versions of anime, but GitS SAC has always been the exception as it is always a job well done. In the SSS extras interview, the actors seemed very enthusiastic about their rolls and in the universe of SAC (yay for english voice actors caring about the anime they lend their talents to).

I especially loved hearing Richard Epcar talk about practically being Batou in that interview; he just does such a great job with the character, who's probably my favorite in the series. I wish we'd got to hear from more of the dub cast, though; they all do an amazing job, even the extras and side characters.

As I've said about SSS before, it just seems like they were trying to cram too much into too little a space, and the end result was rather rushed and choppy. It was still a fun watch, though, and the animation and music were spectacular. I loved how they brought back some old BGM favorites from the first season like Run Rabbit Junk and Spotter. Just seeing everyone spoiler[getting together with the tachikomas to break into the building and having that heavy-metal theme playing the background] made me smile inside.

Speaking of tachikomas, that Uchikomatic Days short was simply hillarious.

Here's to hoping for another season of SAC!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
eviltimes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Jeez, all the complaining! Compare SSS to what else? Nothing else is anywhere near this level of goodness. Only Paprika was in the same league as SSS. All other releases, like Black Lagoon, Le Chevalier d'Eon, Innocent Venus... None of these highly advertised shows can compare. Just enjoy yourselves! Cool
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:48 am Reply with quote
I love all the extras packed onto the bonus DVD. It really gave me an appreciation into all the work that went into the designs of the cars. I also like the little short about the motorized Tachikoma. This is definitely one to buy the special edition. I'm also glad that the Laughing Man and Individual Eleven features are being released and wish that they would release the other log books in the States.
cool3865

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 9:54 am Reply with quote
i liked the movie, it was abit of a let down compaired to GITS2:Innocents. but after watching the bonus dvd about the real Tachikoma, i now want one.
Xenofan 29A

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:19 am Reply with quote
Great review. Well written, and I agree fully with your opinion of the movie. Personally, I liked the TV seasons a bit more, but it was, by itself, a very good piece of work. That opening credits sequence was particularly nice.
cool3865

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:55 am Reply with quote
yea the intro was good, it just felt like it was too long. there were parts in there that made the movie feel like it was just dragging along
Machius

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:32 am Reply with quote
I've enjoyed all the different genre releases of Ghost in the Shell(although the actual manga is my favorite, more sex, more humour) and this was no exception.

It was a solid addition to the 2 Stand Alone Complex TV series. However it does feel kind of like you're watching an extra long episode as opposed to a film. What can I say, that's the difference between a cinema release film and a made for television film.

The review was solid, I thought a touch over critical of Innocence, which although it did get a bit caught up in itself, was a visually stunning and thought provoking film.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:37 am Reply with quote
I always felt that Oshii's films had too much of that "check out this scene, Didn't I do well? Aren't I clever?" attitude about them. Like the paddle boat scene in film one, and the parade in film 2. Too many Basset hounds. Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1