• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
GAME: Dark Souls 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fronzel

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:53 am Reply with quote
If the gameplay is a lot faster (inherited from Bloodbourne), biding time behind a shield is less effective, and there's a mana bar with special moves for non-mages, how do you say it's too similar to the earlier games? That sounds like a fair deal of difference.

I don't have it myself so I'll have to parrot what I've heard elsewhere, but thematically I've seen it pointed out in Dark Souls you started out low (Firelink) and went to high (Lordan) where here you start high and go low. Even the idea that you're fighting a bunch of previous "lords of fire" sounds interesting thematically.

All it's taking from Dark Souls 2 seems to be the idea that there's a recurring cycle, but that game seems to have been a bit of a side-project while the A-team made Bloodbourne.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:01 am Reply with quote
Could you shrink the images? They're so big they're screwing up my screen (and my monitor is hardly small).

EDIT: Thank you.

Last edited by Vaisaga on Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:45 am Reply with quote
I'll always enjoy the soul franchise, but playing it a bit it seems like very slowly its mostly retaining the stuff I didn't like that much and shedding the stuff I liked from the franchise.

The most obvious is the connected world, like was said dark soul is really the only one who really did it, bloodborne had a little bit and DS2 almost entirely ignored it. The main reason is that you have warp right as the game begin, which I think is a terrible idea. It make the world feel small and impersonal. I haven't touched dark soul in maybe 2-3 year but I still know pretty much the entire layout on top of my head because of how many time I went trough it.

Similarly the move toward faster combat with more and more stamina and shield being less useful is one I find quite annoying. I never liked the idea of invisibility frame, why would my character become immortal because he's rolling on the ground? Every time I see enemy attack clipping trough my character model I feel like I'm exploiting a glitch. But with enemy being able to just spam attack seemingly in infinite loop with insane amount of attack homing shield just don't cut it anymore and so I I always end up going back to dodging. This, to me, make the individual enemy and the area you fight them in less unique. All that matters is when your i-frame is, doesn't matter if you dodge into or out of an attack and it doesn't matter if you dodge toward a wall or open area, all that matters is that you time your button press at the right time. I just liked it so much more when I needed to make sure I was in the right position in relation to the enemy and the environment so that I could dodge an attack (as in roll out of the way, not become invincible).

Combining both idea a bit, with so many bonfire you can spam heal like crazy. It doesn't really matters since you can be pretty assure you'll find be able to refill your estus really soon. Moving away from herb in demon soul toward estus was one of the best idea they had. It might healing something that had to be carefully managed (and remove the need to grind for new herb). This really help make the world feel oppressive and dangerous, every cut you'd get would haunt you possibly for the next hour. BB made healing so easy and gave you so much healing item you could just spam away (either attack or vial), DS2 introduce the gem system for reason that I can't fully grasp and now DS3 just shower you with bonfire.
Via_01

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:28 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
...and now DS3 just shower you with bonfire.

I didn't find this to be an issue in the game, mostly because the treck from bonfire to bonfire can be extremely dangerous most of the time. Sure, you CAN just "spam heal like crazy", but you'd be respawning the several mid-boss creatures you found on the way. Also, the level design on DS3 is pretty good, and more often than not you'll have to explore areas you've already been to or backtrack through areas between bonfires to progress, which really makes you think twice before resting and having all those enemies respawn, rendering many of your battles useless.

Anyhow, I'm from the group that feels DS3 changed enough of the formula to feel fresh. There's not TOO MUCH, but really, how much can you really change before the game stops feeling like Dark Souls? Also, yeah, it's full of callbacks to DS1, but other than a few guest appearances, I never felt they were in-your-face callbacks. It's also not quite the same as the other games: in DS1 and 2, I felt that there was still a living world outside what I was seeing, that cities and kingdoms were still a thing, but in this? This isn't like that. Everything's dead. Every character you meet has been dead for a long time, maybe centuries, and they were just brought back from the grave in order to witness those final moments. Every action I made held much more meaning once I realized this fact.
Videogamep

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:35 pm Reply with quote
The review should have also mentioned that this game is more addictive than heroin. It's been less than a week and I already have over 36 hours played.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Even though I do think Dark Souls 1 is excellent (never played 2, only watched Best Friends Play go through it), my favorite of the series so far (only got about 6 hours in to 3) is Bloodborne. The combat style is my favorite of the series, I find its lore and characters the most interesting and detailed, and it has two of my favorite boss battles of any video game ever (from the DLC whose names are spoilers: spoiler[Lady Maria and Orphan of Kos]). Sadly, I feel a sequel to it would mess with the nature of one of the endings but I'm willing to see if Miyazaki can pull it off should he revisit this version of the series.
H. Guderian

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:41 pm Reply with quote
A good review. I tried to mentally pick at it, but the review fits the games. I'm not done, but I gained some insight without spoiling the end of the product. I can only play so often with my other obligations in life.

If this is the last I will be sad, unless the tidbits of the story provide some sorta closure. That might be the true ambush they've been laying all along...
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Has no one every played Demons Souls, you know the game this franchise is based on, not Dark souls 1. Every time I hear someone talking about the new Dark souls or even Bloodborne its always compared to Dark souls 1 and people act like demons souls never existed, and this is despite Demons Souls at least in my opinion being the best of the franchise. Pretty much anything outside of the bonfire concept can basically be attributed to Demons souls.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:13 pm Reply with quote
This is how i would rank the difficulty from hard to actually not:
Demon´s Souls: The utter lack of balance and some bosses, as the final one, made it a death-march in parts.
Dark Souls I: The road to Anor Londo was a steep climb and the 2nd half was borderline easy.
Dark Souls II: The opening 1/3 had a few problematic bosses, so i did them later and it had weird spikes later.
Blood Borne: Not that hard of a game actually! I only had problems to find the critical path in the first half.

With this out of the way. Where is the difficulty @ with DS III? Some say that the first half is a brutal slog and the 2nd half a joke, as with DS I. Is it that "back to the roots"?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:49 pm Reply with quote
CrownKlown wrote:
Has no one every played Demons Souls, you know the game this franchise is based on, not Dark souls 1. Every time I hear someone talking about the new Dark souls or even Bloodborne its always compared to Dark souls 1 and people act like demons souls never existed, and this is despite Demons Souls at least in my opinion being the best of the franchise. Pretty much anything outside of the bonfire concept can basically be attributed to Demons souls.

It's a PS3 exclusive and Dark Souls is on Steam.

You forgot Estus; the approach to healing is very different.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I was expecting a score for the dub for some weird reason.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1