• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Fate/Grand Order Smartphone Game to Run Fate/Zero Special Event

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kotelo_

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:06 pm Reply with quote
An interesting interview with Nasu about GO thanks to deepbluejeer, spoilers ahead:

https://oneofepisodes.wordpress.com/2016/04/18/fgo-tm-ace-042016/

Some parts of it:
spoiler[
Why did you make FGO a story where you get to travel to many different eras?

Nasu: I wanted players to experience world history in the form of a game. Before we got to where we are now, the world had undergone a lot of eras, and within those eras were revolutions and breakthroughs. If those revolutions and breakthroughs never happened, humanity as we know it today wouldn’t exist. I wanted to make FGO a stepping stone for people to realize that. World history becomes a lot more interesting the more you learn about it, and I think the story up to Chapter 4 has done a great job in showing that.]

spoiler[The animated CM by ufotable for the Kara no Kyoukai event also became a hot topic. A lot of characters showed up in the CM. Why is that?

Nasu: The implementation of the event in-game took about two months to prepare for. ufotable made the CM alongside that preparation period, during their incredibly busy schedule. The two-month schedule was also very tight for ufotable, so instead of matching it to the event’s content, we’d rather have something that looked cool, and something that the staff would enjoy working on. I think the most important thing needed to overcome a tough schedule is “fun.” Though, at the start of the production phase I was asked, “What’s the story going to be like?” and I said, “I think the story will be something like ‘a lot of Servants have started living in Ogawa Apartments, so Shiki will be going around collecting their rent.’ It’s not a gag story.” and then they replied with a straight face, “Kinoko, what the heck are you saying?” [laughs]]

spoiler[The magazine also has an announcement of the upcoming Fate/Zero special event. What would this event be like?

Nasu: The Fate/Zero event will be fun, of course! Actually, during the planning phase a year ago, there was a character that we were writing as a surprise for players, and when I asked (Gen) Urobuchi to write a story with that character as protagonist, he gladly accepted it. But during the plotting stage, even though I said, “Write something with a happy ending for once,” first he asked me, “Can’t I have this character kill this other character and end it there?” and he gave me a plot that was even darker than Fate/Zero. [laughs] I said, “What kind of festival do you think we’re making here?! Gen, you should believe more in dreams, aspirations, and the bonds between people!” and had him revise the whole thing. Urobuchi also plays FGO, so the meeting was pretty simple. It went like, “Urobuchi, I want you to write a Fate/Zero collab event for FGO. Actually, just do it.” “Understood. I’ll burn through it with my 3☆ party. Though I did get Kintarou during the New Year.” There was absolutely no need to explain the system, so it was all just “I’ll leave it to you!”]

spoiler[I’d now like to ask about the scenario writing. Yuuichirou Higashide and Hikaru Sakurai have said, “Nasu’s supervision has increased the Fate/ feel of the story”. How exactly do you put in more of that Fate/ feel?

Nasu: There’s basically nothing that I left untouched. Fate/Apocrypha and Fate/Prototype: Fragments of Blue and Silver are Higashide’s and Sakurai’s own stories, respectively, so anything they do with those is okay, except for setting mistakes. But FGO is a poster game for TYPE-MOON, so Kinoko Nasu has to put in his word into this scenario. I have to harden my heart and supervise this game. Both Higashide and Sakurai have said, “We submitted 100 kb of text to Nasu, then it came back as 180 kb of text.” But that’s not just simply adding 80 kb of text; it’s also revising the original 100 kb so that it becomes more Fate/-like.]

spoiler[So you did the same adding and rewriting process for all of the chapters?

Nasu: I would basically add and rewrite while checking everything from start to finish, and also adding some plot points related to the overall setting, but I think I had been a lot more involved with Chapters 1 and 3. Chapter 1 was the entry point so I had to put in everything I could, and Chapter 3’s heroine was Drake, so I was really fussy about that. “Supervised by TYPE-MOON” just refers to management of the setting, which is a job for someone at the digital rights management department, but “Supervised by Kinoko Nasu” means that it’s all up to me, and that I get to intervene until it becomes a work I’m satisfied with. That said, at first I was all, “I’ll be supervising everything for the first half, but once the game launches I have to work on some other things, so I’ll leave the second half all to you two!” but even now I still can’t leave my seat. How did this end up happening?! [laughs]]
Calculus20

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Nice, an actual reason to play GO now.
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:59 pm Reply with quote
^ I thought it being Fate/ was an actual reason. Wink
7jaws7

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:24 pm Reply with quote
kotelo_ wrote:
Nasu: "Urobuchi gave me a plot that was even darker than Fate/Zero."

I might actually believe this given what Boochi is capable of, but it's gonna be tough to top what spoiler[Caster does to all those kids.]
Calculus20

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:01 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
^ I thought it being Fate/ was an actual reason. Wink

I never really cared for the story until Urobuchi was confirmed for writing this new scenario. I have nothing against F/SN or Nasu but I always thought Zero was the best thing that came out of the franchise and it's my personal favorite.
kotelo_

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Calculus20 wrote:

I never really cared for the story until Urobuchi was confirmed for writing this new scenario. I have nothing against F/SN or Nasu but I always thought Zero was the best thing that came out of the franchise and it's my personal favorite.

edgy
championferret

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Never gonna understand why type moon fans get so upset about people preferring /Zero. They're really different stories, it's no giant surprise that there would be people who have a preference for one or the other. I don't necessarily -dislike- the other Fates, but I too feel like they pale in comparison to /Zero. It's got nothing to do with it being ''edgier'' - i just honestly think the characters are far more interesting. I think people complaining about it being ''edgey'' are either missing the point or being annoying on purpose. Urobuchi isn't exactly a bucket of sunshine but I personally think he's easily a better writer than Nasu. Nasu's good at concepts, but his actually writing, especially character writing, feels subpar to me.

also /zero Rider is the best thing in the entire Fateverse so hey, maybe I might actually bother with /GO too. Key word being maybe because I dont really have the time atm for more timesinks. Cool
xFlintx

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:01 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
Never gonna understand why type moon fans get so upset about people preferring /Zero. They're really different stories, it's no giant surprise that there would be people who have a preference for one or the other. I don't necessarily -dislike- the other Fates, but I too feel like they pale in comparison to /Zero. It's got nothing to do with it being ''edgier'' - i just honestly think the characters are far more interesting. I think people complaining about it being ''edgey'' are either missing the point or being annoying on purpose. Urobuchi isn't exactly a bucket of sunshine but I personally think he's easily a better writer than Nasu. Nasu's good at concepts, but his actually writing, especially character writing, feels subpar to me.

also /zero Rider is the best thing in the entire Fateverse so hey, maybe I might actually bother with /GO too. Key word being maybe because I dont really have the time atm for more timesinks. Cool

the only interessting character in FZ is waver and kerry
half of zero cast are just filler for sake for edgy serialkiller and gilles are filler character remove from the plot and nothing changes
2. you probably read the shitty english translation of FSN because most of his writing get lost in the translation also even uro and narita says that nasu is the better writer
championferret

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:40 am Reply with quote
dude I literally own the jp F/Z novels and the vita port of FSN but ok

It doesnt matter what you think when it comes to matter of opinion. Opinions are not fact, which is something I feel like Type Moon fans should have printed out and framed and stuck on their wall as a reminder sometimes. Some people think the F/Z characters are all '2edgey4u', some people think the F/SN characters are all boring waifubait VN tropes. It really doesn't matter and I dont see why people have to get so mad about insisting their opinion is the right one. In your opinion, F/Z characters are filler characters, in my opinion they all actually had a purpose to the narrative, which was my main problem with F/SN, where I found that a lot of them were pointless and undeveloped. In the end its fruitless to bother comparing them because they're such different stories.But you're entitled to your opinion, as am I and everybody else, so I'm never going to understand why so many type moon fans cant seem to get their head around that. I pretty much never see /Zero fans insisting they're right and everyone else is wrong, and if there are people that do this I guess I'm just lucky enough to have not run into them. People who insist /Zero is bad and dumb and poopy literally can't wait to tell you why and defend F/SN and Nasu to the grave, like they are spotaneously generated by somebody saying something good about /Zero, and it just seems like such a pointless waste of time to me. Not to mention its an attitude that's never going to change anyone's mind.

On a last note I think you'll find very few authors believe themselves to be better than other authors unless they're egotistical. Most creative types hate their work, it's what we do, it's genetic or something. We are literally never satisfied with what we make.
Kuro shinigami

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:04 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
dude I literally own the jp F/Z novels and the vita port of FSN but ok

It doesnt matter what you think when it comes to matter of opinion. Opinions are not fact, which is something I feel like Type Moon fans should have printed out and framed and stuck on their wall as a reminder sometimes. Some people think the F/Z characters are all '2edgey4u', some people think the F/SN characters are all boring waifubait VN tropes. It really doesn't matter and I dont see why people have to get so mad about insisting their opinion is the right one. In your opinion, F/Z characters are filler characters, in my opinion they all actually had a purpose to the narrative, which was my main problem with F/SN, where I found that a lot of them were pointless and undeveloped. In the end its fruitless to bother comparing them because they're such different stories.But you're entitled to your opinion, as am I and everybody else, so I'm never going to understand why so many type moon fans cant seem to get their head around that. I pretty much never see /Zero fans insisting they're right and everyone else is wrong, and if there are people that do this I guess I'm just lucky enough to have not run into them. People who insist /Zero is bad and dumb and poopy literally can't wait to tell you why and defend F/SN and Nasu to the grave, like they are spotaneously generated by somebody saying something good about /Zero, and it just seems like such a pointless waste of time to me. Not to mention its an attitude that's never going to change anyone's mind.

On a last note I think you'll find very few authors believe themselves to be better than other authors unless they're egotistical. Most creative types hate their work, it's what we do, it's genetic or something. We are literally never satisfied with what we make.
There are plenty of people who think fate/zero is better even on this website, and are very vocal about it going so far as to constantly denounce fate/stay night saying it's garbage and anyone who doesn't praise zero has terrible taste, also they attack nasu quite often. Also, while some of the characters do get shafted in fate/stay night they get plenty of development in hollow ataraxia, as nasu did have a deadline and he couldn't keep pushing back the release of fate/stay night so he scrapped the ideas for the other routes, although ataraxia did have other writers on it as well so writing quality varied. And I disagree with your opinion, I find nasu to be a better writer who can create meaningful story's and characters that have a lot of depth and nuances.

Last edited by Kuro shinigami on Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:46 am; edited 4 times in total
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:14 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:

Type Moon fans can kind of blow me these days in all honesty with how high on themselves they can get. No time for pissy fan groups and their annoying politics about "secondaries" and "proper watching order". If their goal was to turn an interested party off of a franchise mission accomplished along with just being tired of it already.

As far as I've been able to determine the game is just a cash grab ripoff that constantly finds itself at the center of attention for exploiting it's players and lying about probabilities of gacha pulls so just for that reason alone I'd never go anywhere near this game.

[quote="kotelo_"]An interesting interview with Nasu about GO thanks to deepbluejeer, spoilers ahead:

https://oneofepisodes.wordpress.com/2016/04/18/fgo-tm-ace-042016/

Some parts of it:
spoiler[
Why did you make FGO a story where you get to travel to many different eras?

Nasu: I wanted players to experience world history in the form of a game. Before we got to where we are now, the world had undergone a lot of eras, and within those eras were revolutions and breakthroughs. If those revolutions and breakthroughs never happened, humanity as we know it today wouldn’t exist. I wanted to make FGO a stepping stone for people to realize that. World history becomes a lot more interesting the more you learn about it, and I think the story up to Chapter 4 has done a great job in showing that.]

They should just save themselves and all of the BS and say to exploit money off of fanatics cause anybody who can see the forest for the trees knows it by now.
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:21 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
I pretty much never see /Zero fans insisting they're right and everyone else is wrong, and if there are people that do this I guess I'm just lucky enough to have not run into them.

Have you run into people who put others into convenient categories to vent their overgeneralized grievances?

In short, there are people who single out a work they like and show dismissive attitude to one or more works of the same franchise focusing on the flaws and ignoring the good points. While very mildly, you've done the same thing, shielding yourself with "it's an opinion, you shouldn't touch me", a curious defense when discussing art itself and not the experience of it.
championferret

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:26 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
championferret wrote:
I pretty much never see /Zero fans insisting they're right and everyone else is wrong, and if there are people that do this I guess I'm just lucky enough to have not run into them.

Have you run into people who put others into convenient categories to vent their overgeneralized grievances?

In short, there are people who single out a work they like and show dismissive attitude to one or more works of the same franchise focusing on the flaws and ignoring the good points. While very mildly, you've done the same thing, shielding yourself with "it's an opinion, you shouldn't touch me", a curious defense when discussing art itself and not the experience of it.

Well, that wasn't my intention. I was referring to the fact that someone in this very thread stated in a polite way, without atacking F/SN in any way, that they like F/Z best and someone couldn't resist getting angry at that.

And as for 'generalising', well. I've been on ANN long enough to see this kind of behaviour repeated ad infinum in pretty much any thread with anything to do with Type Moon so it's kind of hard not to. I just wanted to make it clear that I -dont- think my opinion is the correct one that everyone else should follow otherwise they have Bad Taste. When these arguments start, it's always because someone thinks they have the one true opinion on type moon, and I don't think that. I'm merely questioning why it has to matter that much to people that they invest all their time having 10 page long arguments about it and why they cant resist leaping into the fray when someone likes something they dont. Those arguments are not 'art and the experience of it', that would be a civil discussion on the merits and flaws of both properties, something I have nothing against and enjoy myself. What I'm referring to are the arguments that happen here far more often: they're a bunch of angry nerds yelling at eachother over who has the right opinion and using ridiculous words like 'secondary'. I would much rather 'shield myself' than indulge in any of that tripe.
But the last thing I want to do is -cause- one of those arguments, so lets nip this in the bud. Cool

Last edited by championferret on Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:30 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
jl07045 wrote:
championferret wrote:

Well, that wasn't my intention. I was referring to the fact that someone in this very thread stated in a polite way, without atacking F/SN in any way, that they like F/Z best and someone couldn't resist getting angry at that.

And as for 'generalising', well. I've been on ANN long enough to see this kind of behaviour repeated ad infinum in pretty much any thread with anything to do with Type Moon so it's kind of hard not to. I just wanted to make it clear that I -dont- think my opinion is the correct one that everyone else should follow otherwise they have Bad Taste. When these arguments start, it's always because someone thinks they have the one true opinion on type moon, and I don't think that. I'm merely questioning why it has to matter that much to people that they invest all their time having 10 page long arguments about it and why they cant resist leaping into the fray when someone likes something they dont.
The last thing I want to do is -cause- one of those arguments, so lets nip this in the bud. Cool

Again all I can say personally is I'm too old for this shit. I wonder if the newer generations of fans will ever go back to just enjoying this stuff for the fun of it instead of just always finding some angle to be militant about it or make the experience horrible for people that just don't care about this sort of stuff by proximity.
jl07045

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:01 am Reply with quote
championferret wrote:
What I'm referring to are the arguments that happen here far more often: they're a bunch of angry nerds yelling at eachother over who has the right opinion and using ridiculous words like 'secondary'. I would much rather 'shield myself' than indulge in any of that tripe.

Then you should realize that statements like "Urobuchi is easily a better writer" just feeds the angry nerds whether you put "I think" in front of it or not.
I hope you won't mind a civil counter. I think Urobuchi is a more polished writer, who's clearly better at structuring and pacing his stories. At the same time he's also more derivative and tends to use the same narrative structure over and over while Nasu is more experimental, using unreliable narrations, mindtrips and wordgames to mislead the readers and provide an insight into his protagonists. Because of this I can suffer through clear fat and occasional repetition. Moments of brilliance for me are more rewarding than sustained competence.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3