• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2016 Death Note Film's Teaser Shows Main Characters

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:27 pm Reply with quote
With all the hype this movie is getting into. I really hope this will be the last one. Please don't touch DN ever again!
Deynard

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:38 am Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:
With all the hype this movie is getting into.

There is a hype on this unnecessary sequel?
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:39 am Reply with quote
Besides the fact that Death Note has been literally force fucked for more adaptations, I just have some random question. You know how in anime, a lot of characters have unnatural hair colors? Well if a studio is making a live action version, why do they not feel it is necessary to make the actor/actress playing said characters dye their hair? Like does this not bother anybody else? Misa Amane is Blonde yet they give her black hair. Do you know how annoying it was watching Higurashi Live Action with the Sonozaki Twins, Satako and Rika with natural hair colors? I don't know why this bothers me so much. If your going to portray a character, portray them correctly at least.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 6:54 am Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
Besides the fact that Death Note has been literally force fucked for more adaptations, I just have some random question. You know how in anime, a lot of characters have unnatural hair colors? Well if a studio is making a live action version, why do they not feel it is necessary to make the actor/actress playing said characters dye their hair? Like does this not bother anybody else? Misa Amane is Blonde yet they give her black hair. Do you know how annoying it was watching Higurashi Live Action with the Sonozaki Twins, Satako and Rika with natural hair colors? I don't know why this bothers me so much. If your going to portray a character, portray them correctly at least.

Or with the "Attack on Titan" movie, where not only did Armin not have blond hair, he didn't even have the same haircut as he did in the manga.

Honestly, I'm a little more optimistic about this movie. I always felt like the story of "Death Note" could expand. I've always been curious about how other people would use the Death Note. It's kind of like with "The Crow" franchise, where instead of continuing the story of Eric Draven, they'd have sequels and side-stories centering around a different person resurrected by the Crow. I feel like it works because of the possibilities.

Another note (no pun intended), I like how Ryuk looks in this one. The effects are a lot better than they were ten years ago.
Uter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:41 am Reply with quote
How does the character, Sakura Aoi being "the most terrible Death Note user ever, an indiscriminate murderer," make her "the complete opposite of Light Yagami?"

That aside, what's interesting about these movies is that they're not more interesting. I just can't wrap my head around doing semi-faithful adaptations. Either do a spot-on retelling of the story, or do something completely different with the universe. This series is so ripe with mythology/possibilities it's unbelievable they've stuck with the same story this whole time.

Considering the popularity of the original, how has Madhouse not produced multiple anime based in the Death Note universe? Why not follow a different character in a new series, and leave Light where he is? His story is over, let's see someone else's. Also, expand on the Shinigami realm. We get a taste of their crazy, diverse-looking universe, filled with interesting characters, and they just leave it at that. It's an amazing, broad concept and they're doing so little with it.
SERN

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:52 am Reply with quote
Uter wrote:
How does the character, Sakura Aoi being "the most terrible Death Note user ever, an indiscriminate murderer," make her "the complete opposite of Light Yagami?"

That aside, what's interesting about these movies is that they're not more interesting. I just can't wrap my head around doing semi-faithful adaptations. Either do a spot-on retelling of the story, or do something completely different with the universe. This series is so ripe with mythology/possibilities it's unbelievable they've stuck with the same story this whole time.

Considering the popularity of the original, how has Madhouse not produced multiple anime based in the Death Note universe? Why not follow a different character in a new series, and leave Light where he is? His story is over, let's see someone else's. Also, expand on the Shinigami realm. We get a taste of their crazy, diverse-looking universe, filled with interesting characters, and they just leave it at that. It's an amazing, broad concept and they're doing so little with it.

Maybe because Sakura Aoi kills for fun and wants to destroy the world while Light wants to create a new world?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1