• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, May 16-22

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 4:28 am Reply with quote
Woah, Ajin is selling like literal shit. I wonder if it had really high streaming numbers, otherwise I don't understand why Netflix was so quick to green-light a second season. I wasn't a big fan of the show, but it was pretty okay, especially after Satou appeared

On a happier note, I'm extremely pleased to see HQ is still doing wonderfully, even with Matsu monopolizing the fujoshi money. Hope S3 won't have big decrease since it's coming out so quickly
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 7:03 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Woah, Ajin is selling like literal shit. I wonder if it had really high streaming numbers, otherwise I don't understand why Netflix was so quick to green-light a second season. I wasn't a big fan of the show, but it was pretty okay, especially after Satou appeared

On a happier note, I'm extremely pleased to see HQ is still doing wonderfully, even with Matsu monopolizing the fujoshi money. Hope S3 won't have big decrease since it's coming out so quickly

The tv series was more of a bonus..they already got enough revenue from the release of the movies trough cinema tickets and blu ray sales as the tv series are just the movies made into episodes.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:51 am Reply with quote
Haikyu!! gonna Haikyu!! So did the rest of the chart.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:57 am Reply with quote
Grimgar is losing some steam; I hope it manages to at least average 3k.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:10 am Reply with quote
Totally thrilled that HQ is at a commendable lead! Smile Yuruyuri isn't faring bad at all. However, it's totally unfortunate that the sales of Ajin isn't nearly as high as many were expecting...
Lysander

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:33 am Reply with quote
When they say Haiykuu sold 5,000 copies... do they mean 5,000 per store or something? Because it seems crazy to me that so few copies sell, considering how many copies of shows are sold in the U.S. (even accounting for the population difference).
Pokenatic

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:53 am Reply with quote
Lysander wrote:
When they say Haiykuu sold 5,000 copies... do they mean 5,000 per store or something? Because it seems crazy to me that so few copies sell, considering how many copies of shows are sold in the U.S. (even accounting for the population difference).

Nope. That's how much it sold in all of Japan. Maybe Oricon misses some sales from certain places, but those are negligible at best.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nico877

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Lysander wrote:

You have to take into account that one Blu-ray/DVD volume (2/3 episodes) costs more than a complete collection in USA does. Even releases from Aniplex of America and PONYCAN USA which people love to complain about are much cheaper. The only exception are AoA's import releases which are identical to the Japanese releases in both shape and price.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 12:13 am Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
Woah, Ajin is selling like literal shit. I wonder if it had really high streaming numbers, otherwise I don't understand why Netflix was so quick to green-light a second season. I wasn't a big fan of the show, but it was pretty okay, especially after Satou appeared.

It's all about those streaming numbers. Thespacemaster is probably right to an extent in saying that they made a decent bit from the movies already, and the BD sales of this are more or less just one more way for them to monetize it, but I wouldn't be surprised if those Netflix numbers were pretty high. In the areas that I hang out, Ajin was the show for about two weeks after it showed up on Netflix. Apparently that's all it needed. I guess technically Netflix didn't "green-light" anything, but I am almost definitely sure they are the ones paying for it.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 6:12 am Reply with quote
Star Wars really has some gravitas in Japan

While many titles on this list are those with long tails

CrowLia wrote:

Woah, Ajin is selling like literal shit. I wonder if it had really high streaming numbers, otherwise I don't understand why Netflix was so quick to green-light a second season.

Anime budget is chump change for Netflix. If they believe it'll be good enough to entice subscribers present and future into their catalog, then it's no skin off their back.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1