• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Unified Pictures and Vampire Hunter D [2016-06-30]

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 10:28 am Reply with quote
As a big fan of VHD: Bloodlust I'd be very happy to see more VHD products. However, I find the Kickstarter thing odd. I was under the impression from the last interview, and perhaps I'm not remembering correctly, that they were fine financially especially with 2 companies working together. I guess they could be using the comic (and Kickstarter) as a publicity vehicle for the larger project, but still...

Took a quick look at Kickstarter page as I might support this but then saw things like stickers, buttons and patches and I just got to shake my head. What are we five years old and on Kickstarter? Maybe other people go gaga for that stuff, but I personally hate this infantilizing of fans with a passion. What's next lunchboxes?

I may consider the $100 tier to get an artist and writer signature, but I'd like to see a few more panels.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a big fan of VHD nor am I really familiar with Kickstarter, but I like what they're doing here. Sounds like they're trying hard to make something good. Personally, I'd like to see more collaborations between American comic makers and Japanese manga-ka. Though only certain titles, mostly the ones that appeal more to Americans/Westerners like this one, would really work well.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Kurt wrote:
I don't actually think it's a visual thing; good story transcends any one particular set of visuals.

If that's the belief he's operating from, he's in for a rude awakening.

I was also puzzled by the defensiveness (and criticism from the interviewer) about D's face in that picture. Not feminine enough? Too western? It looked like 3 dots to me, far too small to make that sort of call, and in a comic book it won't be much if any larger than what was shown here.

Most of the interview sounded like a board room meeting with lawyers and investors.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 1:19 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

I was also puzzled by the defensiveness (and criticism from the interviewer) about D's face in that picture. Not feminine enough? Too western? It looked like 3 dots to me, far too small to make that sort of call, and in a comic book it won't be much if any larger than what was shown here.

Most of the interview sounded like a board room meeting with lawyers and investors.

The picture shown in the article is by Christopher Shy and is not the same as the picture by Michael Broussard that was shown to me and discussed. The picture I saw is the one that was broken up panel by panel to use as the headers for the Kickstarter:

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:44 am Reply with quote
Well that certainly clarifies things! Yes, I agree the face in the second image is not D. Dr. Who, maybe... Smile Even the bit shown in the first one is enough to elicit a frown.

Too bad, I rather liked the image in the article. Smile You probably should make a note of that in the article, because it says, "This is one of Michael [Broussard]’s rough draft test pages..." immediately below the image, almost as if it were a caption.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:23 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
The picture shown in the article is by Christopher Shy and is not the same as the picture by Michael Broussard that was shown to me and discussed. The picture I saw is the one that was broken up panel by panel to use as the headers for the Kickstarter:

Ah, ya beat me to it. I was going to post that from the Kickstarter, but yea I agree that D's face in these preliminary images lacks a feminine or androgynous aspect. He may also be a little too muscular.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1