• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha Gets New ViVid Strike! TV Anime Series in October

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Well this is interesting, was not expecting it entirely although I remember a magazine hinting about a new series related to the franchise before a few weeks ago.

Looking forward to it this Fall.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:43 pm Reply with quote
That's awesome as just about where the previous Vivid anime finished things start to get really fun with the tournament! The previous Vivid finished in such an odd place.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:55 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
That's awesome as just about where the previous Vivid anime finished things start to get really fun with the tournament! The previous Vivid finished in such an odd place.

This looks to be something completely new, not the second season to the previous one.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:56 pm Reply with quote
It has my interest when I seen Yui Ogura in the voice cast. I did like Vivid as well.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Notice that King Records is involved, so do not expect Nanoha or anything, since Yukari Tamura left them. And I assume that's one of the reason VIvid never got BDs.
D-Rock

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:02 pm Reply with quote
ScruffyKiwi wrote:
This looks to be something completely new, not the second season to the previous one.

Well, I sure hope not. They stopped right in the middle of a tournament!
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:08 pm Reply with quote
D-Rock wrote:
ScruffyKiwi wrote:

But it is. It's not the continuation of ViVid, but a new thing, probably (not too uncanny) will be the StrikerS of ViVid, a good timeskip where Vivio is an instructor so they don't have to feature Nanoha (who is probably not available due to circumstances for them) while they can also say goodbye to lolis which I assume they are relieved about.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:08 pm Reply with quote
D-Rock wrote:
ScruffyKiwi wrote:

Well, uh, better come to terms with it.

The first season never even got a BD release. Nothing has been said about the movie in years. Yukari Tamura left King Records earlier this year and that situations very likely resulted in her not being involved in the franchise for whatever reason (I personally suspect she didn't want to be involved in the franchise anymore for some reason or another but regardless of the reason she probably isn't available to them anymore which kills the movie for obvious reasons and makes continuing the first Vivid series difficult). In any case, the whole franchise has been in a strange place for a while and it seems they've decided to pretty much reboot it without Fate and Nanoha. Kinda fitting the franchise took this turn given how it started.
lucio542

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:20 pm Reply with quote
OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG
I AM NANOHA FAN SICE 2012 AND MY HEART ITS BREAKING IN HAPPY.
i can die now, no regrets.
Seven arcs again, so good to see this, i don't liked the A-1 pictures version.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:29 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:
Notice that King Records is involved, so do not expect Nanoha or anything, since Yukari Tamura left them. And I assume that's one of the reason VIvid never got BDs.

Are you sure it's not Aniplex considering A-1 did the last season and they released the movies? I just assumed the franchise had changed hands to them some time between Strikers and the first movie. It's possibly a joint venture since Yui Ogura is signed to King while Inori Minase is Sony Music the parent company for Aniplex but as far as I know Aniplex has the adaptation rights to this franchise now and the way they're doing all of these original anime things with original authors lately in what looks like some attempt to basically co-opt franchise development decisions away from their original creators and make them their own (they've all but done this with Fate and seem to be trying to do it with SAO, Mahouka and some Key/Visual Arts brands now too among other things) it's looking that way for this. I always wondered if some dispute over who got distribution rights for that awful Vivid anime is what caused that not to be released on BD though.

Anyway I think we're kind of entering a phase where gone is any sort of respect for original creators of things and letting them have real say in projects. They get them on board for these projects in theory to add a level of "authenticity" to the project but really it's the Aniplexs of the industry calling all the shots top down and basically publicly muscling them out of being in charge of the very things they created and in a lot of cases whatever charm they initially might have had kind of tends to go with their input in this business model that places commercial impact as the single sole priority. If anything I just see this approach becoming even more common though I wish there was some way for this medium to go back to at least the pretense of caring about it's own content and people again. Everyone below the producer tier just kind of feel like pawns now and there are just no directors, seiyuu and writers to stand on their own and independently like you used to get sometimes in prior decades.

Granted this guy long seems to have stopped caring about the situation with his own franchise judging by the quality of the recent manga spin offs so in this case I don't think it makes a difference either way but yeah that's how things seem to be developing.

Last edited by Alabaster Spectrum on Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
SayuriUliana

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:31 pm Reply with quote
The google translate I initially got out of the cast list put the main character as "Reventon", which seems more fitting than "Levinton" for a good reason: the Nanoha franchise usually has theme naming as part of its schtick, usually cars (ex. Testarossa, Signum, Subaru, Lanster, Mondial, Corona, etc.), and in this case "Reventon" is the name of a car, the Lamborghini Reventon.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:36 pm Reply with quote
I'd be more excited about this if it wasn't for the fact that it never streams legally here in the US and the only way to watch this would be through fansubs.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:40 pm Reply with quote
Alabaster Spectrum wrote:

Are you sure it's not Aniplex considering A-1 did the last season and they released the movies? It's possibly a joint venture since Yui Ogura is signed to King while Inori Minase is Sony Music the parent company for Aniplex. I always wondered if some dispute over who got distribution rights for that awful Vivid anime is what caused them not to be released.

Considering all the "drama" that happened when Tamura left it's pretty clear she went away in bad terms. Which may have been caused a lot of strife inside the production committee as well.
As far as I can tell, Nanoha as a franchise with this name is basically dead at this point. This is a way for Seven Arcs to try and keep it going in another way.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:45 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:

Are you sure it's not Aniplex considering A-1 did the last season and they released the movies? It's possibly a joint venture since Yui Ogura is signed to King while Inori Minase is Sony Music the parent company for Aniplex. I always wondered if some dispute over who got distribution rights for that awful Vivid anime is what caused them not to be released.

Considering all the "drama" that happened when Tamura left it's pretty clear she went away in bad terms. Which may have been caused a lot of strife inside the production committee as well.
As far as I can tell, Nanoha as a franchise with this name is basically dead at this point. This is a way for Seven Arcs to try and keep it going in another way.

Can you PM an explanation of this? Last info I saw about that was very vague and basically just said she was leaving with no real reason. She's been in new stuff since then, so I figured she just changed companies...I was just happy she didn't retire, but never really saw info on what happened.
Alabaster Spectrum

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:47 pm Reply with quote
ximpalullaorg wrote:

I'm really not convinced it's Seven Arcs that's responsible for the sudden revival they have coming in October. It honestly just kind of looks like either Aniplex and/or King Records acquired them and is putting them to work on projects. Perhaps the niconico broadcast for that Idol Memories thing tomorrow will reveal more of what is going on for them. You really have to look at production committee members and distributors more than anything to see who is really calling the shots as aside from big long established studios like Sunrise, Ghibli or Toei a lot of them are too small, poor and dependent on contract work and support from production committees to have any sort of say in what they do.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4