• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 2016 Godzilla: Resurgence Film's 2nd Trailer, Ads Show Monster's Rampage

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:55 am Reply with quote
You had your fun Anno, now get back to Eva, slave. But in all honesty, this looks cool. This looks like it oozes Higuchi's and Anno's style. Godzilla was made for these two.

But seriously, we want 3.0 + 1.0.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:34 am Reply with quote
Dear me, that tail is longer than Godzilla's overall height. But that roar in the end! Cool
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 4:27 am Reply with quote
It's purple? Oh god-zilla, they've gone Mace Windu on us.

Muisc: "Hey, did you know that this movie is being EP'ed by the Evangelion guy?" Marches, I love the Ifukube marches.

This has to be better than the Jun Fukuda movies [considers trailer footage]. Could be? [Remembers all the humans are all in the same room, watching Godzilla footage while even Megalon putt some people on the spot] <whimpers>

You know, when you can't even beat the Raymond Burr footage of the original American Godzilla at putting people in a movie with a giant monster, you got problems.

You want Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0? I want Godzilla; Looks like neither of use are getting what we want.

This is exactly like someone saw Godzilla 2014 and said "No, the true Godzilla is humans watching Godzilla while he goes on a rampage and the JSDF is useless."

"And the fun?"

"No, this is about the true horror of nuclear war/human accidents/ acts of nature which Godzilla represents. He must represent the pride/folly/uselessness of the human race... depending on which Godzilla era noncontinuity reboot we're thinking about as the true Godzilla."

I thought Zombie Godzilla from GMK where he was the all the ghost of people who died in WWII was pretty good. Burn Ward Godzilla doesn't seems as interesting.
Peebs

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:47 am Reply with quote
Maybe it's just me, but that first long shot of Godzila rampaging through what looks like suburbs gave me flashbacks of the tsunami and how the black waters swallowed fields and roads. It's too soon.
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:17 am Reply with quote
>reusing shots in the previous trailer

I can see this movie's alternate titles like "The Talking! Guest Starring Godzilla", "The Talkinator", "Mouth-o-matics Complain!", "The Sinister Mouths Talk With Dialogue!", "Lord of The Dialogue!", and "Godzilla versus The Talkers!" I mean yeesh, some of these human scenes look like they belong in that awful Daimajin TV series or a pre-Den-O 21st century Kamen Rider series.

I'm just saying last time this happened we got Iron Man 2.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:10 am Reply with quote
Man did I get the feels watching the trailer. Godzilla is back in the house, and it doesn't look like he's leaving anytime soon. As for how they used the Japanese for the title, they used katakana for the "shin" which as the article points out leaves it to interpretation by the audience as how to associate the title with Godzilla.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
magvis

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:51 am Reply with quote
We can hope for good acting. The CG and miniatures are about a generation back, but, considering the low budget, acceptable.
phia_one

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm still not a fan of the skinny arms and long tail, but the trailer looked promising.
xXInfinite026Xx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Peebs wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but that first long shot of Godzila rampaging through what looks like suburbs gave me flashbacks of the tsunami and how the black waters swallowed fields and roads. It's too soon.

The history behind the original Godzilla intentionally gives familiar imagery of tragic real life events. The atom bomb destruction being the main allegory of the 1954 movie, and that premiered a measly 9 years after the real life bombings. Higuchi and Anno's Shin Gojira is supposed to invoke those kinds of feelings by presenting a more contemporary and familiar sense of dread to their native country. In fact, the article itself quotes Mahiro Maeda, the image designer for the film, as stating he "thinks the designs returned to the franchise's reality-grounded roots, embodying the Japanese experience of the March 11 disaster (compared to the reality of the first Godzilla films made in post-war Japan)."

Is it too soon? Maybe to some, but some Godzilla movies have a history of including these kinds of things regardless.
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
DuelGundam2099 wrote:
>reusing shots in the previous trailer

I can see this movie's alternate titles like "The Talking! Guest Starring Godzilla", "The Talkinator", "Mouth-o-matics Complain!", "The Sinister Mouths Talk With Dialogue!", "Lord of The Dialogue!", and "Godzilla versus The Talkers!" I mean yeesh, some of these human scenes look like they belong in that awful Daimajin TV series or a pre-Den-O 21st century Kamen Rider series.

I'm just saying last time this happened we got Iron Man 2.

Even if it does become another Talkzilla, seeing as how this was a passion project for the directors, if not anything else, the fights will be cool /=
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, it looks like pretty much any Godzilla movie made in the past decade or so.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
iCards

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:18 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Honestly, it looks like pretty much any Godzilla movie made in the past decade or so.

There has only been one in the last decade.
Enturax

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:18 pm Reply with quote
It seems to be a better adaptation than the american one.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:27 am Reply with quote
New Godzilla movie looks darker than ever in latest trailer

• Less than two weeks from now, Godzilla will be returning to theaters in his first Japanese-produced film since 2004’s “Godzilla: Final Wars.” In many ways, “Final Wars” was the culmination of Godzilla’s steady transition from villain to hero, as in the movie the King of the Monsters fought off multiple, more malicious “kaiju,” and in doing so also protected the earth from a plot hatched by treacherous, scheming extraterrestrials.

However, the upcoming “Shin Godzilla” (to be called “Godzilla Resurgence” in international markets), looks to have no interest in a Godzilla-saves-the-day narrative. Co-directors Hideaki Anno (best known as the creator of the relentlessly somber anime “Evangelion,” and Shinji Higuchi (director of the grim live-action “Attack on Titan” films) seem to be committed to portraying Godzilla as a terrifying, destructive force of nature that man has no way of reasoning with. If this heavy-hearted new trailer, put together by Anno himself, is anything to go by, this is not going to be the sort of movie where you’re supposed to root for Godzilla to smash buildings and walk through elevated train lines.
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:28 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited! Love Anno and Godzilla, and I'll accept anything that will temporarily take my mind off of the fact that we probably won't be getting the final Evangelion film for a loooong time still. The CG IS a bit dated looking, and I'm a bit worried about the prevalence of these political jargon scenes, but I have hope in Anno to come through with a great film. Let's hope that hope doesn't lead to disappointment.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2