• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Selector Spread WIXOSS BD+DVD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
since Wixoss is largely portrayed as a diabolical experience, is it really that good an advertisement for the actual game?

Apparently it is. While the show was airing sales of the card game were very good, even selling out.

I really like the ending and appreciate Mari Okada for knowing that it's okay to have a very happy ending. When other writers do a darker show they apparently feel obligated to have as big a downer ending as possible. Seeing characters struggle through darkness and hardship is all the more satisfying when they get rewarded in the end.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:02 pm Reply with quote
I'm still not sure what got me to watch this show in the first place since I normally wouldn't watch a tie-in anime for a card game, but I came away very pleased with it. Honestly, once I got into it, I wasn't sure it was actually related to a real game since there isn't much time spent on the details of the game, and it portrays the experience as miserable for many players.

I definitely agree that this is one of the standouts for Funimation dubs recently, especially Jamie Marchi's performance.

As of the time that the commentaries were recorded, it sounded like there wasn't word on whether the movie will be licensed, so here is hoping the series sells well enough to warrant getting the movie.
unitmikey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I haven't watched this show since the seasons aired, but I did remember the second half not being as emotionally resonant, although I liked how it "transitioned" between seasons. I was worried at the end of the first that it would kind of get away from the storytelling aspects of the series. I think part of the reason that the show is really good is because it doesn't feel like a card game tie in despite the premise. Even Angelic Layer felt like it was promoting a toy more than this, and those things didn't even exist.

And I kind of am dying to see the movie nonetheless to be honest.
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:26 pm Reply with quote
The movie... exists. You're aware it's principally a recap?

It's mostly worth the price of admission for seeing Ulith's – or Rumi's – backstory (which is delightfully Okada) and meeting Hanare – or Sachi and learning her (delightfully Okada) backstory.

Oh, and the moment right at the end with Ruuko and Tama. It brings tears to your eyes. Tasty, tasty tears.

I preferred spread to infected. I feel less strongly than most others whose opinions I've heard that infected told a solid, interesting story in the first place and found spread a marked improvement in terms of actual narrative, even if the details in Mayu's delightfully Okada backstory are somewhat sketchy. In infected, the only part of the story I thought the show did well was Yuzuki's tale of woe – Hitoe's was cloying, Aki-lucky was eyeroll-inducing, and the rest, including Ruuko's "gotta wish all girls never became magical girls" conviction, was pretty ho-hum. All it did well for me was the sound direction and tone. Though I have to say, the end of episode 12, especially with the ending theme coming in, was a very well-executed moment.

In spread, I found Aki-lovely much more compelling and less a cliché, Ruuko and Tama's thing interesting, Eldora and Chiyori the greatest love story (platonic or not) of all time, and the background behind the Selector System providing some much-needed context to the over-the-top despair-inducing shenanigans introduced in infected.

By the way, the review refers to Kazuki twice – I think this should be Yuzuki.
Actar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:48 pm Reply with quote
All in all, excellent series. I really loved how, as confusing as their logic and system was, it held up spectacularly to scrutiny and made for some great plot points. For instance, how the LRIG would change appearance each time a new Eternal Girl was born.

Interestingly enough, it was the final third act (the entire plot thread with Mayu) that made the series for me. I mean, damn! That entire storyline is something right out of the classic Japanese horror genre! Excellent stuff with the spirit of a dead girl spreading her curses into the world. If anything, the ending resolution was more akin to a horror movie one than one of a traditional card game anime.

The only criticism that I have is the lack of focus on the actual card game. If anything, I'm more surprised that the anime wasn't pushing the card game aspect more than it did, considering it's partly a commercial for the card game. More focus on the mechanics and the flow of the battle would have definitely upped the tension and gotten us invested in the struggle a little more.

All in all, I guess it succeeded in its advertising because it's gotten me to check it out. Heck, I might even buy a deck featuring Eldora as she was by far my favorite LIRG - Satomi Arai for the win!!! Giving actual cards characterization is definitely something that more card game shows should consider doing.
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Fun fact: Chiyori gets Eldora from a Blue Appli deck, which in the real world actually features Piruluk. Blue Request is the deck you get Eldora from.

The downside of Blue Request is that the level 1 Eldora it comes with is an effect LRIG, meaning you can only summon 1 SIGNI on your first turn. I still need to get around to getting a better 1.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:33 am Reply with quote
jymmy wrote:
I preferred spread to infected.

I'm in the same boat. I thought the first season was good, but not amazing. Then, the second season started airing, and I was utterly captivated. While I've certainly cooled on the show a bit since then, it definitely made an impact.

jymmy wrote:
The downside of Blue Request is that the level 1 Eldora it comes with is an effect LRIG, meaning you can only summon 1 SIGNI on your first turn. I still need to get around to getting a better 1.

She'd be fine if she let you draw the card before you picked which card you wanted to discard. I think that small change would make the tempo loss feel more reasonable.

As a side note for people who noticed that the show spent very little time advertising the Wixoss card game, Mari Okada has said in past interviews that she wrote the entire first season before the game's rules were finalized, and that in general she was given very little information about gameplay from Takara Tomy. That might help explain why the battles in the show were so "rules-light".
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 5:09 pm Reply with quote
With physical purchases, it is certainly up to the viewer and there own financial situation if the purchase is "worth" the buy, however when it comes to watching the series itself I think there is an untapped audience that would enjoy watching Wixoss.
jymmy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:55 pm Reply with quote
The article still refers to Yuzuki as Kazuki both times either twin is mentioned.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:50 pm Reply with quote
Just got done watching Spread today. I thoroughly enjoyed both seasons. I am quite impressed how they kept up the dark tone and vibe without overdoing either, and they still managed to crank out a spoiler[happy ending]. Impressively done English dub done too, you can tell they put their hearts into it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1