• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New York Anime Convention 'Anime NYC' to Launch November 2017

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Яeverse

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:20 am Reply with quote
Is that kind of close to NYCC?
jree78

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:24 am Reply with quote
Яeverse wrote:
Is that kind of close to NYCC?

Month after.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:28 am Reply with quote
However this is around the sane time as a Doctor Who convention in Long Islsnd every year. I hate that I may have to choose between these and I'm sure I am not the only anime fan who also likes Doctor Who.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:37 am Reply with quote
As a person who has worked NYCC for the past 6 years and will be doing it again this year, I've seen anime content slowly dwindle down to stuff few and far between as it gets marginalized by the more pop culture elements of the con. This will be welcome, I would think. Also, having worked with him before, Peter Tatara is good people.

I would think this would upset the people behind Liberty City Anime Con though. They just had their second con, this time in Times Square a month ago, and will be having another one in the same area next August. They just lost their niche.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:21 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
However this is around the sane time as a Doctor Who convention in Long Islsnd every year. I hate that I may have to choose between these and I'm sure I am not the only anime fan who also likes Doctor Who.

I hear you, I always forget about the Doctor Who con because NYCC is so big. I also really like Doctor Who but I have to say out of the fandom because they where making me really hate the show runners.

I also why we now have to travel down to Atlantic City AnimeNext has spoiled me in terms academic panel content.
Shiggity

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:45 pm Reply with quote
YES YES YES! As much as I hate NYCC and the Javitts Center this is a welcome addition to my con 'career'. lol. My question though: What will this do to Liberty City Anime Con that started up a few years back? Is it going to co-exist in NYC (it's in August I know)?
VinceA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:48 pm Reply with quote
yamiangie wrote:
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:

I hear you, I always forget about the Doctor Who con because NYCC is so big. I also really like Doctor Who but I have to say out of the fandom because they where making me really hate the show runners.

I also why we now have to travel down to Atlantic City AnimeNext has spoiled me in terms academic panel content.

Nice to hear that we've "spoiled" you. We'll keep bringing that sort of thing for years to come. Already have a few things planned for 2017 Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Well I checked and in 2017 at least the anime & Doctor Who con are not at the same time. Still close together that I may not be able to take off for both but I'll try (at least I can do a Sat-Sun at the anime con)

Going to suggest that the organizers do look into Li Who when scheduling their con.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Good to hear. I've hated NYCC since they essentially destroyed NYAF. Hopefully it does become a large east coast convention.
SrkSano

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:11 pm Reply with quote
We'll see how next year goes. I already have my ticket for the Liberty City Anime Festival for next year. I attend NYCC every year, but it's getting harder and harder to get tickets. At best this will be a good back-up if I can't get into NYCC.
ssgOverlord

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping this con major success! (and all cons)

I only got to go to New York Anime Fest the year it merged with Comic Con...so it would be awesome if we could get something to rival AX someday.

I'm looking forward to guest announcements.
Jess-chan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 3:50 pm Reply with quote
This sounds interesting. I hope I can attend next year!
Jayhosh

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Sounds interesting! Perhaps this could be my first con. But it all ultimately depends on whether or not university will get in the way of that (which it probably will).
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Aw man, I miss New York Anime Fest so much, it was my first con.

Hope this'll get big.
TokyoSplash

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:03 pm Reply with quote
YES! YES!! YES!!! This couldn't be any more welcome news! NY native and NYCC yearly attendee here! I think I speak for every anime fan in NY when I say this is going to be great! I can't stress it enough when I say I only attend NYCC for it's anime content from vendors like Crunchyroll, FUNimation, and Viz Media. Now we'll be getting a con in NY specifically for that and much more! Let's gooooo!

First order of business? Bring Kishi back to NY! Lucked out on getting anything signed by him last year at NYCC Sad as they handled it very poorly. Was lucky enough to get my headband signed by Junko Takeuchi though. Kubo would also be a very welcome sight as Bleach has recently concluded. Bring him across seas as well!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2