• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Akuma no Riddle Assassin Girl Manga Ends

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:07 am Reply with quote
Sounds about right. The manga has been pretty faithful to the anime's story (or is it the other way around? It's been kind of hard to tell with this series) and there's at most an episode of material left to cover.
HueyLion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:20 am Reply with quote
Another good manga hits the end point.
Luke's JRPG Channel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:41 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed it a lot, anime was good too.
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:48 am Reply with quote
Just read volume 3 today. Volume 4 is in the to-read pile. Missed the anime when it aired on Animax, so are there any major differences with the manga?
Koda89

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:52 am Reply with quote
Man I hope the manga doesn't include the BS ending of the anime that undermined the whole damn show.

I mean after all...spoiler[how the hell are you going to have a death game/fight to the death series and then no one freaking dies in the end, even people who quite clearly died, like falling from an insanely tall building, or being given extremely fast acting and potent poison with no antidote in the immediate vicinity]?
Gemnist

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:08 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Sounds about right. The manga has been pretty faithful to the anime's story (or is it the other way around? It's been kind of hard to tell with this series) and there's at most an episode of material left to cover.

It's supposed to be the other way around; I guess the anime overshot the manga way too much.
bronia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:52 am Reply with quote
Not unexpected, I was following along with releases and thought there couldn't be much left. Not sad to see it end, it's a sort of disappointing as a yuri series because minimal yuri happens (and yet I've still been supporting the official 7s release). It's been very faithful to the anime, as others have pointed out.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:24 pm Reply with quote
fuuma_monou wrote:
Just read volume 3 today. Volume 4 is in the to-read pile. Missed the anime when it aired on Animax, so are there any major differences with the manga?

Aside from a few additional scenes in the manga, they are pretty much identical stories.

Koda89 wrote:
I mean after all...spoiler[how the hell are you going to have a death game/fight to the death series and then no one freaking dies in the end, even people who quite clearly died, like falling from an insanely tall building, or being given extremely fast acting and potent poison with no antidote in the immediate vicinity]?

The manga makes it much clearer that they spoiler[didn't die in each of these cases.] I don't see how it undermines the point of the series, but I don't like most other death game stories, so maybe it comes down to personal taste.
atinytanuki

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:30 pm Reply with quote
So this means sensei can focus on finishing loveless now right... please...
KH91

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:58 am Reply with quote
I hope best girl was more relevant in the manga.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how this manga did. I'd heard pretty negative things about the plotting. Compared to her Loveless (I'm not really into BL stories) some kind of found it weak. That is to say. But I had thought she was giving up on it. Maybe someone can give me some insight on what the deal was.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Chrno2 wrote:
I wonder how this manga did. I'd heard pretty negative things about the plotting. Compared to her Loveless (I'm not really into BL stories) some kind of found it weak. That is to say. But I had thought she was giving up on it. Maybe someone can give me some insight on what the deal was.

Part of the problem is that - for whatever reason - instead of having a "read the manga" ending, the anime adaptation covered the manga's entire story, including years of material that hadn't yet been released. It wasn't an anime original ending, either, or a rough idea with some details changed: we're talking identical lines of Yun Kouga's dialogue that wouldn't be released in manga form for over a year.

The story goes that somewhere along the way, Yun Kouga got a bit bored with going through the motions of an already-decided story. We don't really know how true this is: there were a lot of people who were very unhappy with the way the anime had ended (and thus, the way the manga was going to end) and perhaps some of those people expressed their displeasure by exaggerating facts or outright making up falsehoods. It's also possible that Yun Kouga really did come to detest her own story. It's not as though manga authors - or the manga industry in general - are the most transparent group of people.

Personally, I thought the plotting is generally great, although it had trouble transitioning "between" chapters: there are sometimes gaps in the story between where one chapter ends and the next chapter begins (for example, one chapter might end with two characters talking to each other, the next chapter begins with one of the characters holding a gun to the others' head, and we're supposed to just infer the sequence of events that brought the characters from civil conversation to threats of violence). These gaps were not present in the anime, so I can see where some people might think the creators got sloppy along the way.

If you liked the anime, though, I think you'll really be pleased with the manga, as the characters are more fleshed out, and a lot of the plot holes from the show are filled in with additional background information.
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:19 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Chrno2 wrote:

snipped reply.

Ah that's what happened. Yeah, That's what I was hearing too when the anime started. I had marathoned it over a two day period. And I did enjoy it for what it was worth. But when I heard about the manga being published I wanted to read it just to see how close the material was. But then I heard about the manga being released and then there was the hiatus, and I was like, "how is this going to get released if it's not finished?" And now we see the anime and the manga is practically the same. It's a done deal. And of course there are mixed feelings.But this is it. What you see is what you get.

I may pick this up later for myself. Thanks for that info. Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1