• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shinkai's 'your name.' Film Submitted for Oscar Consideration

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larkan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Its been a year with a lot of strong animation films so I really don't believe Your Name has any chances of winning but it might be nominated.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Larkan wrote:
Its been a year with a lot of strong animation films so I really don't believe Your Name has any chances of winning but it might be nominated.

Exactly - especially since the Oscars favor international animated films. Just think: Funimation being nominated for an Oscar. Wow...
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I honestly think it's a WEAK year for animated films in terms of actual quality...but I don't think it will win. There's a lot of evidence that the people that decide this stuff don't even bother watching all the films in the nomination. Especially animated. Only really thought one of the Western Animated films was any good this year. The rest had too many obvious plot holes or just really average stories.
Deynard

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Nomination to nomination to Oscar.

Rolling Eyes

I know this movie is good but it's nothing. Even nomination to Oscar is nothing. In 2015 year Kaguyahime no Monogatari was nominated to Oscar and this movie was pure shit.

Wake me up when Kimi no na wa will win Oscar.

Kougeru wrote:
I honestly think it's a WEAK year for animated films in terms of actual quality...but I don't think it will win.

Finding Dory will win because it's Pixar. For only that reason.
r0verandom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Kougeru wrote:
I honestly think it's a WEAK year for animated films in terms of actual quality...

When did we get so many good animated movies in one year, tho?
Zootopia, Finding Dory, Kubo and the Two Strings, Kimi no Na wa, Koe no Katachi...

But yea, I think Finding Dory is a safe bet for Oscar winner.
Cyclone1993

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Since the people who pick winners don't even watch the movies I highly doubt it will have any luck. They need to wipe out the academy and get some new voices in there, who actually care about movies.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:31 pm Reply with quote

It would be a pleasant thought experiment to consider how the Academy Awards would function if the voting system was changed in the following way. Imagine if the only ones who could vote were the relevant members of staff whose own works had been nominated for awards that year, with the restriction that, like in Eurovision, they could not vote for their own works.

It would naturally lead to all manner of tactical schemes, but at least there would be a sense that winners would be selected by their own contemporaries.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Larkan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Zootopia (Sure nomination)
Moana (50-50 chance)
Kubo and the two strings (Sure nomination)
The Red Turtle (Co-produced by Studio Ghibli and the director has already won academy awards before with his short film.so the chances are very high)
Finding dory

I think these are its competitor.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
I really hope Funimation's talked to people from GKIds on how to successfully secure a nomination in the Animated Feature category.

I don't have any inside info on how GKids manages to do it consistently, but I suspect they send out screeners to the Academy members who choose the Animated nominees and aren't just relying on the limited theatrical run.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Selipse

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:59 pm Reply with quote
Zootopia's gonna win anyways. For once, though, I actually agree (though I haven't seen Kimi no Na wa, but it's not like it could have any chance).

Seems like a lot of people are betting on Finding Dory. I don't want to believe that will happen. Yes, I know the voters literally don't even watch the movies, but c'mon. There's no way Dory can win, right? Right? At least give it to Zootopia.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:25 pm Reply with quote
Believe me, Pixar can lose - even Monsters Inc. lost (to Shrek, but still), and the only time I recall where Pixar didn't deserve whatever they got, win or loss, was with Brave in 2012 - WRECK IT RALPH FTW! This is a year Pixar should lose though. I honestly found Dory underwhelming (probably because Finding Nemo is my favorite Pixar movie ever), but it will get nominated. Illumination's efforts, meanwhile, have been too mixed for consideration. Kubo could get it, maybe. Disney will be challenged with both Zootopia and Moana - I hope the former wins (best CGI movie Disney has ever made, period) but since the latter comes later it might get it if it's good (*cough* Lego Movie *cough*). Really the only thing stopping Your Name from a nomination is The Red Turtle, because foreign films and Ghibli.
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:31 pm Reply with quote
I don't think Your Name will manage to get a nomination simply due to the allotted three slots for films outside of Disney/Pixar, one of which will easily be Kubo and the Two Strings (Laika has never not had a film nominated, and Kubo got some of their best reviews). It will be Zootopia, Finding Dory, Moana, Kubo and the Two Strings, and The Red Turtle.

I actually don't think Finding Dory will win based solely on the Pixar name. Zootopia not only got better reviews, but also did very well financially. When Pixar is just ok, it usually doesn't end up winning (Monsters Inc., Cars, Monsters University, Cars 2, and the Good Dinosaur weren't even nominated). The only thing Zootopia has going against it is that it came out in March, which is pretty early in the year.

Also, anyone interested in GKids and their process of getting films attention during oscar season, I believe there was an ANNCast guest episode about it from last year.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:55 pm Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
When Pixar is just ok, it usually doesn't end up winning (Monsters Inc., Cars, Monsters University, Cars 2, and the Good Dinosaur weren't even nominated).

Monsters Inc and Cars were nominated for the Best Animated Feature Oscar even though they lost to Shrek and Happy Feet respectively. Though I don't necessarily disagree with the main idea that Finding Dory is "sequel Pixar" which rarely gets nominated and may not be nominated this time, Toy Story 3 being the exception.

Monsters Inc. is still one of my favourite Pixars even without an Oscar win, not counting the Oscar that it did win for the usual Randy Newman song.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:24 pm Reply with quote
Actually, there may be an alternative. Even if it misses out on this one, the film won't be dubbed in English by the time the nomination process is complete. So how about potentially nominating it for Best Foreign Language Film? It would eliminate Funimation as recipients, but be a significant win for Japan. Not to mention animated films have been nominated for the award before (e.g. Waltz with Bashir).
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:48 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
Monsters Inc and Cars were nominated for the Best Animated Feature Oscar even though they lost to Shrek and Happy Feet respectively. Though I don't necessarily disagree with the main idea that Finding Dory is "sequel Pixar" which rarely gets nominated and may not be nominated this time, Toy Story 3 being the exception.

Oops, forgot to place a semicolon in between Cars and Monsters University. But yes, I think people are over-estimating the Pixar name as an automatic win.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2