• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pokémon Anime Moves to Disney XD in U.S. With Pokémon Sun & Moon

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:10 pm Reply with quote
wow for the first time in ... 18 years, Pokemon won't be on my basic cable. Oh well, guess I'll wait for the dvds to come out now
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:14 pm Reply with quote
...is this good or bad??? Confused
romanmack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:

Could be both.

Disney xd is definently not as widely available as CN, so that's bad.

But Dxd is likely to treat the series better than CN has lately. What with more showings and whatnot (provided it does well for them).

Anyway... with one fell swoop... CN has officially eradicated all anime off its lineup (not counting Adult Swim's Toonami block).
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:

If you're someone who actually watches that dub, bad. Disney Anime hyper is a throwaway channel with lower viewership than Cartoon Network. Any show that gets thrown to a secondary channel like Disney Anime hyper or Nicktoons Network is viewed as not popular enough to justify being on the main channel and a sign of impending cancellation usually.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I was waiting for the US to get hit by this. Canada got hit with a Pokemon channel switch a while ago too.

Ever since the actual premiere of the original show, it had been on YTV. Fairly recently, like within a year or two, they shuffled it onto Teletoon, leaving YTV without it for the first time in the show's history iirc.

Then again, YTV basically shuffled all their cartoons off onto Teletoon as far as I've noticed and basically transformed into a Nickelodeon Canada, despite that already existing. Even Yu-Gi-Oh got booted off.

Last edited by Lynx Amali on Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Animechic420

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:27 pm Reply with quote
romanmack wrote:
Animechic420 wrote:

Could be both.

DisneyXD is definently not as widely available as CN, so that's bad.

But Anime hyper is likely to treat the series better than CN has lately. What with more showings and whatnot (provided it does well for them).

Anyway... with one fell swoop... CN has officially eradicated all anime off its lineup (not counting Adult Swim's Toonami block).

I tell you what, if anime was put back on the morning and afternoon lineup, Cartoon Network's ratings will skyrocket again, just like in the good old days. Cartoon Network has made a big mistake...
cloudthe23

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Now that CN doesn't have Pokemon I can finally say that CN has nothing worth watching, for me everything on CN is pure crap
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Can't Disney Anime hyper just air Pokemon Sun & Moon in Japanese with English subtitles instead?
romanmack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:58 pm Reply with quote
@ Animechic420

Probably not. Anime is being removed from TV BECAUSE it doesn't garner good ratings. Why do you think the only block that airs anime now, Toonami, airs at the dead of night on the lowest rated night for TV (Saturday). There's a reason for that. The mainstream doesn't care for it. That might be hard to grasp but it's the truth. There's a reason why shit like Teen Titans Go airs ad-nauseum ... because that's the crap kids like nowadays. They vote with their eyes. And when it comes to anime... they ain't watchin'. Can't blame the big-wigs for getting rid of low-rated shows. They're only giving what the grand majority wants... and the grand majority wants crap. Lol

[Edit]: removed unnecessary nested quotes. Please read the quoting guidelines. Errinundra.
romanmack

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
michaeltanzer wrote:
Can't Disney Anime hyper just air Pokemon Sun & Moon in Japanese with English subtitles instead?

Of course not.

They don't even do that with the Adult Swim anime, no way they're gonna do that with Pokemon, that'd be ratings suicide. It's been proven that subtitles push casuals (especially kids) away.

You guys really need to get a grip on how these things (the TV buisness) work. Lol, there's so many uninformed statements here.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
michaeltanzer wrote:

Not if they're trying to appeal to American children, which they are.
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
michaeltanzer wrote:

Not if they're trying to appeal to American children, which they are.

Well I kinda doubt it, At least, Let Disney Anime hyper do the simulcast alongside TV Tokyo...Just like Crunchyroll in the First place.
xchampion

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Pokemon is still popular and I would think that Cartoon Network would not let it go easily. I bet Disney paid a pretty penny to get the rights. Disney Anime hyper probably needs increased viewership of the channel so getting the rights to Pokemon will certainly do that. It seems to be a smart move on Disney's part and bad move on Cartoon Network. Plus with Disney having all the rights to all previous 19 seasons they will probably show lots of the orginial episodes which Cartoon Network never did.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Animechic420 wrote:

I tell you what, if anime was put back on the morning and afternoon lineup, Cartoon Network's ratings will skyrocket again, just like in the good old days. Cartoon Network has made a big mistake...

....Even when anime was in style it wasn't pulling monster ratings across the board.

For every DragonBall Z or Pokemon you had at least three Ronin Warriors at best or Marchen Awakens Romance at worse.

romanmack wrote:

There's a reason why shit like Teen Titans Go airs ad-nauseum ... because that's the crap kids like nowadays.

Just like our generation liked crap like Funimation's DragonBall Z? and Americanized
Yu-GI-Oh?

romanmack wrote:

They vote with their eyes. And when it comes to anime... they ain't watchin'. Can't blame the big-wigs for getting rid of low-rated shows. They're only giving what the grand majority wants... and the grand majority wants crap. Lol

What's crap and what's no is purely subjective.....but you didn't need me to tell you that.

Last edited by BadNewsBlues on Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fenrin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Could it be so they can push their merch more effectively on kids? I know disney commercials are a constant flow of kiddie toys.
People are saying Disney xd is not as popular as CN but isn't that in regards to an older audience? There are a lot more "mature" shows on CN that young children aren't as attracted to.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6