• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Video Compares Live-Action Ghost in the Shell Trailer to Original Anime

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heishi

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Other than Scarlet's lips, not bad.
Afezeria

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Fine enough by me. There's more important things to be upset for rather than this.
partially

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:46 pm Reply with quote
My only real problem is that the major is meant to be a hardened, occasionally vicious, war veteran. Whereas all the shots they have shown of Scarlett Johansson have her primped up and in heavy makeup like a twitch video streamer or something. Not something that fits the character, at all. Otherwise it looks like the film will be at least entertaining.
Konopan

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:44 pm Reply with quote
Pretty sure this was intended as a recreation, not an inspiration dig, though that's a negligible difference

Early leaks also suggested the movie villain will be Laughing Man and not Puppet Master iirc which would make the last bits wrong
rinkwolf10

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:47 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:
My only real problem is that the major is meant to be a hardened, occasionally vicious, war veteran. Whereas all the shots they have shown of Scarlett Johansson have her primped up and in heavy makeup like a twitch video streamer or something. Not something that fits the character, at all. Otherwise it looks like the film will be at least entertaining.

Dude, the Major's personality/image is inconsistent between all the adaptions (anime movies and tv shows) and all those varies largely from the Manga personification of the major. So, them taking liberties to make the character better fit the platform is a moot point at best.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:52 am Reply with quote
Only problem I had with that was that the bigass IGN logo covered most of the live action trailer, so yeah... great decision to put it in THAT corner... was there some kind of copyright issue? Not sure what it would be. And seems like something that should have been fixed if not. Confused
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:38 am Reply with quote
I think they did a good job here. Granted,I haven't seen the original but yeah. They didn't do too bad a job. It's not a movie I'll see but still,I'm not going to complain.
Kb24lol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:31 am Reply with quote
Dont know why people feared this from the start. If it was any other actor maybe, but Scarlett is a great actor, and fits the role perfectly. Just on similarities, it makes more sense to cast americans in anime movies because based off the characters designs, they actually look more like them.
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 10:57 am Reply with quote
Kb24lol wrote:
Dont know why people feared this from the start. If it was any other actor maybe, but Scarlett is a great actor, and fits the role perfectly. Just on similarities, it makes more sense to cast americans in anime movies because based off the characters designs, they actually look more like them.

Why people feared this and why they still do, doesn't take much effort to figure out. The past "Anime" Adaptations have been horrible.. DBZ movie anyone?

Hollywood's track record on butchering fan favorites is pretty notorious.. Ghost Busters reboot? So this part is understandable.

I'm not agreeing with the doom sayers who are already stating this movie will be crap.. I like what I see so far and that's a good sign. But lets be honest.. I've been following GITS since it's inception.. I really liked what Stand Alone Complex did for the series and I know many people disagree with that.. With that said my expectations for this move are not real high. When I go see it I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote
partially wrote:

As others have mentioned, there are big differences in the Major's character across adaptions. In the manga she's rather playful. In the first film she's jaded and pretty much over being pushed around by everyone. When they came to make the series the director had an issue as to what Major to go with. What they told the voice actress was to imagine the Mokoto from the movie 20 years younger so she was yet to be so jaded, but yet still battle hardened and tough.

In Arise she's different again, being somewhat younger than the other incarnations.

So yeah .. I don't see any issues of how they're showing the Major. Personally I'm cautiously optimistic as to how the movie will pan out.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Kb24lol wrote:

Ah yes. Motoko Kusanagi, an obvious American. Just like Ichigo Kurosaki, Naruto Uzumaki, and Kazuto Kirigaya.

People fear it because every other anime Hollywood live-action has been terrible
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:56 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Kb24lol wrote:

Ah yes. Motoko Kusanagi, an obvious American. Just like Ichigo Kurosaki, Naruto Uzumaki, and Kazuto Kirigaya.

People fear it because every other anime Hollywood live-action has been terrible

You do realize that Motoko Kusanagi is not her real name right? She doesn't even know her real name.
Kb24lol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
Kb24lol wrote:

Why people feared this and why they still do, doesn't take much effort to figure out. The past "Anime" Adaptations have been horrible.. DBZ movie anyone?

Hollywood's track record on butchering fan favorites is pretty notorious.. Ghost Busters reboot? So this part is understandable.

I'm not agreeing with the doom sayers who are already stating this movie will be crap.. I like what I see so far and that's a good sign. But lets be honest.. I've been following GITS since it's inception.. I really liked what Stand Alone Complex did for the series and I know many people disagree with that.. With that said my expectations for this move are not real high. When I go see it I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

The obvious issue with the DBZ movie was the directing and no true star actor/world reknown at the helm. You cant compare Justin Chatwin (or have him as a lead especially Goku) as opposed to Scarlett whos a perfect female lead choice for a badass main character as we've seen from other movies from marvel, Lucy, and more. Plus Id rather have a hollywood make of a movie in our own language than a japanese one despite the fact they make the manga/anime. Live action adapations like attack on attack on titan, parasite maxim, or assasination classroom were just cringey, hollywood yes they can screw up movies but as you can see lately theyve done pretty well with blockbusters as of late.
Kb24lol

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
Kb24lol wrote:

Lol, look at Naruto for the first time and tell me he looks more japanese than he does american. Do the exact same with Motoko Kusanagi. Ichigo Il give you tho. Kirito is a toss up. And the live action failure was with DBZ, people still cant seem to get over the fact that they used poor actors(emmy rossum is a great actor these days), poor directors, and the plot was thin. Plus Justin Chatwin as Goku is a head scratcher. Now Scarlett as the lead in Ghost in the shell makes a ton of sense based off her other roles in movies like captain america, iron man, lucy, etc...
manapear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Kb24lol wrote:
Lord Oink wrote:
Kb24lol wrote:

Lol, look at Naruto for the first time and tell me he looks more japanese than he does american. Do the exact same with Motoko Kusanagi. Ichigo Il give you tho. Kirito is a toss up. And the live action failure was with DBZ, people still cant seem to get over the fact that they used poor actors(emmy rossum is a great actor these days), poor directors, and the plot was thin. Plus Justin Chatwin as Goku is a head scratcher. Now Scarlett as the lead in Ghost in the shell makes a ton of sense based off her other roles in movies like captain america, iron man, lucy, etc...

What exactly do Japanese people look like? Aside from hair and eye colors, there isn't one way to look Japanese, so that's just heavy stereotyping.

And lets face it, hair and eye color is negligible in anime, unless they are really going hard for real world equivalences. Are you going to say Sakura looks like a White girl because she has turquoise eyes and pink hair? :/

Anime characters don't "look" like any ethnicity, but being the dominant and default people in Japan, Japanese people know that they "look" like anime characters and vice versa. And besides, they go out of their way to show when someone is not Japanese, lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1