• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
No Anime Nominated for Golden Globes [2016-12-13]

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Well, didn't knew about Sing and My life as a Zucchini.

Now i would be even less surprised if there's no anime movies at all for the oscars.
Stubbenz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:24 pm Reply with quote
It's unfortunate that so many anime films aren't recognised, but still completely understandable. They're competing in a category where most contenders are marketed towards children, they're often completely unknown in the west, and can be incredibly inaccessible to the average viewer.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Stubbenz wrote:
they're often completely unknown in the west, and can be incredibly inaccessible to the average viewer.

and if they're anything like the (mature language warning) Oscars, a lot of people deciding these things don't even watch anime.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Kono Sekai no Katasumi ni´s originating manga is "very good" and the "excellent" Kingsglaive was one of my favorite films of the year. These 2 deserve recognition but leave me alone with Your Name. or Miss Hokusai. I could barely finish these, despite the nice animation. 2016 wasn´t that great a year for anime films content wise, but undebatably a profitable one. What more do you want?

Zootopia is the best film present, so there goes my vote. What is Sing doing here though?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CCTakato

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:00 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen Your Name yet but I don't know how anyone could consider any Final Fantasy movie worthy of any award. Rolling Eyes
DatRandomDude

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:08 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
What is Sing doing here though?

Its an allstar cast animated musical, of course its going to be here, judges loves musicals !
Lord Dcast

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:10 pm Reply with quote
The Golden Globes are even more notorious for being paid out to decide the winner. The only reason anime isn't winning is because they don't care about the awards, or they don't have the money to bribe or promote.
CCTakato

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:16 pm Reply with quote
DatRandomDude wrote:
residentgrigo wrote:
What is Sing doing here though?

Its an allstar cast animated musical, of course its going to be here, judges loves musicals !
It's one of the most horribly cliched movies I've seen Hollywood dish out in a long time but there were much better animated movies from this year they could have picked. It's blasphemy that Finding Dory isn't on this list.
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually quite fond of KUBO AND THE TWO STRINGS. That was a beautiful movie, and I love stop-motion animation.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:34 pm Reply with quote
No surprise about Zootopia, Kubo, and Moana. These people forget anyone other than Ghibli makes quality animated films in Japan. I wish Your Name was nominated, but I'm at least glad to see Kubo on the list (it's stop motion and has a Japanese setting, so good enough???).
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Sing is over a week away from even being in theaters, how did it already get nominated? Sure the screeners are already out and it is a 2016 film, but it seems strange for a movie that hasn't been released to the general public to already be in the running for a Golden Globe. Can't imagine that has happened to many times in the award's history.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:05 pm Reply with quote
What a surprise.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:44 pm Reply with quote
What, no Sausage Party nomination?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:50 pm Reply with quote
This headline is possibly incorrect. It is correct in the sense that no anime, in the traditional definition of "Japanese animation", is on the Oscar. However, going with the literal Japanese meaning of "animation" (a generic meaning), then there are some anime on the list.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:00 pm Reply with quote
That's like expecting some Japanese being nominated person of the year in Time magazine.

Or better yet, non-English speaking music being nominated for the grammys.

Why do they post these news? I said before that I would rather have a translation of the Japanese film critic awards for animation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3