• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks to Release Gatchaman II Anime on DVD

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:05 pm Reply with quote
A bit bummed that this isn't getting dubbed, especially with the cast recently returning for the 90s OVA & 78 movie, but I'm still getting this regardless because I've been waiting a LONG time for them to pick this up along with Fighter, which I hope is next.

Since the Eagle Riders dub is mentioned in the article, I wonder if Sentai has that like they do with the first show's Battle of the Planets dub?
Cain Highwind

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:52 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
A bit bummed that this isn't getting dubbed, especially with the cast recently returning for the 90s OVA & 78 movie, but I'm still getting this regardless because I've been waiting a LONG time for them to pick this up along with Fighter, which I hope is next.

Since the Eagle Riders dub is mentioned in the article, I wonder if Sentai has that like they do with the first show's Battle of the Planets dub?

Was coming in to post the same thing. Would've been great. I've been more of a dub guy these past few years, but watching Gatchaman with the ADV dub is weird. The "new quality" audio doesn't quite fit with the old animation and sound.
snake-eyes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 7:24 pm Reply with quote
WOW! I cannot wait for more Classic 70's Anime! I Loved Science Ninja Team Gatchaman!
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:00 pm Reply with quote
The sequel series is probably NOT getting a dub for the reason that the audience for it is very limited in the States.
Likewise the same reason for a DVD-only release unless it's never been released on Blu ray in Japan, either. Going by how videophile fans react to upscales and how the upscales turn out half the time (looking at Viz now), it's probably a wise decision NOT to release it on Blu ray...
Look, the original Gatchman was licensed by ADV Films at a time when it tried to get its hand on everything it could but there were shows that even ADV DIDN'T touch at the height of its dominance in the US anime industry. The Gatchaman sequels were two of those shows!
Other than Eagle Riders very limited release in the States and Bryan Cranston's brief career slumming dubs for anime, there's nothing really remarkable about the Gatchaman sequels.

I've seen a few episodes of Gatchaman II and Gatchaman Fighter... The original Gatchaman is superior in just about every way from storylines to mecha design (the sequel mecha look AWFUL!!!) to whatever -- and I DID like the look and animation of the original series better. The "drawing" of the sequel shows may look more polished to others but I like the roughness and sketchiness of the original series, too. It's extremely well-animated for the time frame and much better than anything they came up with for an action/adventure series in the West through at least the mid-1980s.

The villains in the Gatchaman sequels weren't as good, either... No Gatchaman sequel villain ever matched Berg Katse who was basically the Cobra Commander of Gatchaman. No good villain equals an unmemorable series no matter how cool and tough you think Condor Joe is.

Oddly enough, the ending of Gatchaman F is very similar to the way the 1990s Gatchaman OVAs series ended.

That's about it for the Gatchaman sequels. Tatsunoko got it right the first time -- it's been diminishing returns ever since for the sequels and attempted remakes and reboots although Gatchaman Crowds was goofy in a sort of nice way...
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:09 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

Yeah, that would have been cool.
Heishi

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:03 pm Reply with quote
Wonder if Gatchaman Fighter will be licensed.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:50 pm Reply with quote
A title that should of been given an obvious dub by Sentai Filmworks. They do tend to make unfitting choices at times when it comes to which of their titles to dub.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:52 pm Reply with quote
A title that should of been given an obvious dub by Sentai Filmworks. They do tend to make unfitting choices at times when it comes to which of their titles to dub.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:34 am Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:

should *have*

Also, it's pretty rare for an anime this old to get dubbed, regardless of who licenses it. Not to mention, Sentai and it's predecessor have far more experience with the Gatchaman franchise than just about anyone. I'm sure they're more qualified to make a dubbing decision on it than most of us. Considering the fairly lukewarm reception this new has received, I have little doubt it was the right one.
wonderwomanhero

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:40 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:

The English dub cast reunited or the original Japanese cast?

I remember watching the ADV audition videos with all the different actors (Grant, Auten, Vimcent-Davis, Haag, Rial, Patton, Calene-Black, Gremillion, Christian, even Brayden Hunt who sadly moved on from dubbing a long time ago....)
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:44 am Reply with quote
^The English cast, the same people who were involved with ADV's redub of the first show back in 2005.

Those auditions are also on Sentai's Blu-ray set and seeing it for the first time when that came out, it was fun to watch, as was the rest of the retained extras in that set, commentaries included.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:35 am Reply with quote
Not surprised this isn't getting dubbed, but still a bit disappointed because I love ADV's Gatchaman cast. I guess it's just too long/old.

RIN-NE was a much weirder choice for them not to dub.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 7:28 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:

should *have*

Also, it's pretty rare for an anime this old to get dubbed, regardless of who licenses it. Not to mention, Sentai and it's predecessor have far more experience with the Gatchaman franchise than just about anyone. I'm sure they're more qualified to make a dubbing decision on it than most of us. Considering the fairly lukewarm reception this new has received, I have little doubt it was the right one.

Was the *should have* comment necessary? I'm well aware of how rare it is to see decades old content being dubbed in this medium. While not the type of title that is dropping the roof on people it would of been nice to see a dub for it but c'est la vie. The more qualified then the rest of us comment is entirely debatable but yeah I understand the mentality behind it.
Bamble

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:26 am Reply with quote
Good to finally see some news on the Tatsunoko/Sentai front. Given that the original Sentai/Tatsunoko press release vaunting "11 titles" was back in 2013, the clear implication over three years later was that this deal was quietly forgotten as time went on, presumably due to lackluster sales.

It may be that this is still the case, and that this licensing of Gatchaman II is separate from the now possibly-defunct 11 title deal.

However, if the original 11 title deal was still in effect, and if we're being generous and count the Gatchaman OVA and 1978 movie as separate licenses from the original 1972 series, the older Tatsunoko titles that Sentai have released or announced as licensed would now stand as follows:

1. Gatchaman
2. Gatchaman OVA
3. Time Bokan Royal Revival
4. Casshan
5. Gatchaman: The Movie
6. Gatchaman II

This potentially leaves a minimum of five titles still potentially remaining - total speculation of course, since, aside from the orignal Gatchaman and Casshan, Sentai never publicly revealed the identities of the titles that were part of the 2013 deal.

Hurricane Polymar and Tekkaman would be obvious choices for some of the other titles on the original list. Polymar and the first half of Tekkaman were streaming on AnimeSols before they shut down, although latterly both series, now also including the second half of Tekkaman, are streaming with English subtitles on Viewster (albeit geo-locked to certain European countries).

Regardless, excellent news to see that Gatchaman II will get an unedited release at last. Only Gatchaman Fighter to go and all of the classic-era Gatchaman will have been released.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:02 am Reply with quote
Polymar's not happening, because it bombed on Anime Sols. Sentai seemed interested in Urashiman, though, and even uploaded some of it to Hulu. Looking through their library on Wikipedia now... Anyway, if Discotek and/or FUNimation don't call dibs on them first, then Gatchaman F and the 90's Speed Racer shows from Tatsunoko would be other likely candidates. Oh, and Sket Dance. And I could see them cashing in on the 'religious values' market by picking up Superbook and The Flying House. Plus, they could rescue Video Girl Ai and bring back Megazone 23 for BD. And if no one else already has the home vid rights, then Transformers: Combiner Wars seems like a slam dunk.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2