• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: your name., Shin Godzilla Earn Japan Academy Prize Nods

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:55 am Reply with quote
This shortlist offers a tantalising glimpse into a parallel world in which anime fans controlled the academy. The yang to the ying of our all-but-inevitable Oscars, if you will.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Deynard21

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:53 am Reply with quote
How cute that they god nominated along with Mega shinkai domination movie.

Bad for them that it is already decided who will win.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
This shortlist offers a tantalising glimpse into a parallel world in which anime fans controlled the academy. The yang to the ying of our all-but-inevitable Oscars, if you will.

And what it's like for a less corrupted Academy in a country where the HIT mainstream-audience films still constitute the Best Picture considerations--
Ah, I remember the days, nine years ago, when we had five nominations, and we rooted for what real movie would win the award over here. Sad
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed Shin Godzilla much more than I expected. Who knew it would be a satire of Japanese politics and bureaucracy. I found those aspects of the movie much more enjoyable than the battles with Godzilla itself, though a few of those are pretty impressive. Ishihara was a bit unbelievable as a Japanese-American US government official, but she still lit up the screen whenever she appeared.

I can't say I liked the Chihayafuru movies all that much. It was hard to fit all the content into an hour and a half each. Hirose looked nice in a kimono but wasn't as compelling as the anime Chihaya. The supporting cast got short shrift, I'm afraid, especially the classics-loving Kana-chan who was one of my favorite characters in the anime.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1