your name., Shin Godzilla Earn Japan Academy Prize Nods
posted on by Rafael Antonio Pineda
The Japan Academy Prize Association for excellence in film announced the nominees for the 40th annual awards on Monday. The five movies that have been nominated for Animation of the Year are:
In addition, Hideaki Anno and Shinji Higuchi's Shin Godzilla film is also nominated as Picture of the Year. Both Anno and Higuchi are nominated for Director of the Year. Makoto Shinkai (your name.) is also nominated for Director of the Year, as well as Screenplay of the Year. your name. is also nominated for Outstanding Achievement in Music for RADWIMPS' score, and In This Corner of the World is nominated for the same category for kotringo's score.
Other nominations for Shin Godzilla include:
- Outstanding Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role (Hiroki Hasegawa)
- Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role (Satomi Ishihara and Mikako Ichikawa)
- Outstanding Achievement in Music (Shiro Sagisu)
- Outstanding Achievement in Cinematography (Kōsuke Yamada)
- Outstanding Achievement in Lighting Direction (Takayuki Kawabe)
- Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction (Yuji Hayashida, Eri Sakushima)
- Outstanding Achievement in Sound Recording (Jun Nakamura, Haru Yamada)
- Outstanding Achievement in Film Editing (Hideaki Anno, Atsuki Sato)
Suzu Hirose is nominated for Outstanding Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role for her performance in Chihayafuru: Kami no Ku. Mackenyu received a nomination for Newcomer of the Year for his performance in both Chihayafuru: Kami no Ku and Chihayafuru: Shimo no Ku.
The Nippon Academy-Sho Association, a Japanese group roughly comparable to America's Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences of Oscars fame, presents the Japan Academy Prizes every year. The nominees all receive "Awards of Excellence," but the actual top award in each category will be presented in a ceremony on March 3 at the Grand Prince Hotel New Takanawa in Tokyo.
Movies are eligible if they opened in Japan between December 16, 2015, and December 15, 2016.
The Animation of the Year category was only created 10 years ago. Last year, The Boy and The Beast won the award. The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, Tekkonkinkreet, Ponyo, Summer Wars, The Secret World of Arrietty, From Up On Poppy Hill, Wolf Children, The Wind Rises, and Stand By Me Doraemon were the previous winners. Before that, Studio Ghibli won the overall Picture of the Year Award for Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away.
Source: The Mainichi Shimbun's Mantan Web