• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Show By Rock!!# Episodes 1-12 Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quote
I started watching the show because of the character designs, but I stayed with it because I found it so enjoyable. I wasn't expecting it to be something that I looked forward to week to week.
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:23 pm Reply with quote
What's probably most disappointing about Show By Rock!!'s anime is it would not have been hard to make it work. Just stick the characters in various SOL scenes just like the game but extend them into 22 minute episodes (for two cores) or 11 minutes (for 1 core, two episodes a week), give each band a episode that centers around them, while also letting bands not featured in the episode cameo and make small appearances to connect the episodes together and boom, you've got a good Show By Rock!! anime.

Giving SB69 a plot and making Cyan a human was such a major mistake.
DigitalScratch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote
While I loved how we got more character-focused episodes, Season 2 was just a gigantic mess for me. The Queen of Darkness ordeal was handled very poorly, to the point where it seemed like they forget she even exists for a few episodes. And don't get me started on how BVL was handled.

The show is cute and simple and I'm not expecting A+ story telling, but theres too many plot elements they're juggling that every time something serious happens it makes me roll my eyes. Just stick to being fun and comforting, damn it!

TheBeatlesPkmnFan42 wrote:

Giving SB69 a plot and making Cyan a human was such a major mistake.

I agree- Show By Rock would have worked better as a Slice of Life kind of show as the anime was at its best when the episodes was just about the characters. It didn't need villains and plans of word domination.

And Cyan coming from our world just adds another annoying layer to the whole set up, as it just complicates things and is incredibly needless. It's a concept barely addressed and utilized, and whenever it is it's quickly absolved. Why not just make Cyan come from some place real far away from Midi City and she just has to move back at the end? More believable and less of a headache.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1